Is there physical pain in hell?

For those of you out there who believe that hell is real could you describe to me the nature of the torment in hell? Is the torment and pain physical or emotional or both? Is hell located underneath the earth? Is there a specific location or is it a state of mind in the afterlife?

What about souls roaming the earth restlessly in limbo? Is that hell? Last but not least. Do you believe that hell is eternal torment or is it annihilation? Will there ever come a time when the tormented soul in hell will just die or will it live on forever in a state of uninterupted torment?

I don't believe that hell is inside the earth. I was told that when I was younger. I couldn't tell you where hell is located. I don't believe that souls roam the earth aimlessly. I believe that when you experience physical death, your soul leaves your body and will go to heaven or hell. I believe that hell inflicts the worse possible physical and emotional pain on all of its members. Just my opinions of course.

• Author

Riddler have you read Dante's inferno? Your description sounds like the same one in dante's inferno. Have you taken any greek mythology?

Can't say that I have. Now I will have to read it.

I have never taken Greek Mythlogy. I have always been interested in it, just never had the time to read into it.

silentcharon

Rent What dreams may come, Robin Williams is in it. I thought the movie was very good. It touches on this topic, it explores ideas of what heaven/hell is like.

I'm not a religious person, but this movie really touched me- it's a very sad movie throughout, with a happy ending at the end.

My opinion, based on my studies of the bible: When people die they will remain unconscious and unknowing until the resurrection. At that time, all who go to "hell" will go into oblivion. They will cease to exist. No external torment or torture, but they also don't get to live in paradise.

But my main concern right now is you, john. You seem very troubled. Have you talked to someone about what's bothering you?

well I don't believe in such things but I would think that eventually you would get used to a specific kind of torment or torture and eventually need to switch to something new to be tormented/tortured with.

example...... fire..... eventually if you sit in eternal flames you will get used to it so to torture you sufficiently you would need a new mode of torture such as hot poker up your butt while being forced to watch the Ya Ya Sisterhood movie at least 600 times in a row.

But why do you ask John?

I thought hell was living without God, the absence of God...not a specific place.

that's my understanding, as well – that the pain of being apart from him is so great, it feels as if you're consumed by fire because it hurts so much .... While physical torture is bad in and of itself, our minds can shut out that pain to some degree; same with mental pain. But spiritually speaking, there's no place to hide from anguish.

destination_unknown

We used to have limbo but I think the Catholic church now says it doesnt exist. We also used to have a personified / demonified devil and I think JPII then said, no the devil was not "real" so to speak. Take your pick of ideologies John, its very a la carte these days.

For those of you out there who believe that hell is real could you describe to me the nature of the torment in hell? Is the torment and pain physical or emotional or both? Is hell located underneath the earth? Is there a specific location or is it a state of mind in the afterlife?

What about souls roaming the earth restlessly in limbo? Is that hell? Last but not least. Do you believe that hell is eternal torment or is it annihilation? Will there ever come a time when the tormented soul in hell will just die or will it live on forever in a state of uninterupted torment?

Hell was simply a "lake of fire" concockted thousands of years ago to give people a reason to stay civil and in conformance with society. All that hell and limbo stuff is as much a fairy tale as the tooth fairy and Easter bunny. Hey, if you believe in God, you know that God loves and forgives. Why would a loving God condemn His children to eternal damnation in hell for robbing a bank or taking some tootsie rolls. He's got to be more reasonable than that. The earthly penalties aren't nearly so severe.

People create their own hell according to how they process information on this planet. You can stay upbeat and hopeful for the future or you can sink yourself into a mad depression. Unless you have some sort of chemical imbalance, the choice is yours. If you do have a medical issue, most of the time pills can do the trick.

Stop concerning yourself about hell and crap like that...and treat people kindly, don't hurt anyone...and make the world a better place to live. Who in his right mind could kick a guy into a burning lake of fire for doing his best???

Limbo, per a Catholic News Service search:

• was never officially defined by the Church, was merely a theological concept developed in the Middle Ages addressing the question of what would happen to baptized babies who died. This concept supposes that those rugrats would spend an eternity in a state of "natural happiness," but not enjoy the perfect communion with God made possible with baptism in Jesus.

• The Catechism of the Catholic Church says that "the church can only entrust them to the mercy of God, as she does in her funeral rites for them." (No. 1261)

no pope – JPII up through the ages to St. Pete himself – has ever denied the existence of the devil, that would pretty much go against his very job description (spread the Good News of Christ and warn of the trickery of Satan).

Rent What dreams may come.

Best movie I ever saw, just so happens that is one of me and my exs films, but I agree great film to watch to maybe give you some insight!

Morph

Totally! strange to say, it's one of my favorite movies!

"I'd walk through hell to find you"

Makes me bawl!

lol

Morph

John, as Pink Amulet said, Please get some help. Talk with a counselor, minister, or priest. You do not indicate what your age is, but you are troubled by many things.

You have been asking some interesting questions regarding spirituality but also you drank bleach. I am wondering what direction these questions are taking you.

Are you depressed or just interested in the morbid?

Or are you truly troubled by your death and afterlife? Do you really want to know the way to salvation and heaven?

Or is this simply a means to get attention from everyone here?

We are cyberfriends willing to help, but we cannot do so from far away. Closer friends may be needed.

• Author
John, as Pink Amulet said, Please get some help. Talk with a counselor, minister, or priest. You do not indicate what your age is, but you are troubled by many things.

You have been asking some interesting questions regarding spirituality but also you drank bleach. I am wondering what direction these questions are taking you.

Are you depressed or just interested in the morbid?

Or are you truly troubled by your death and afterlife? Do you really want to know the way to salvation and heaven?

Or is this simply a means to get attention from everyone here?

We are cyberfriends willing to help, but we cannot do so from far away. Closer friends may be needed.

Hey settle down. You talk to me like I'm a threat to society. I'm not hurting anybody else. I mind my own business in society and I don't go around looking for trouble. I am harmless so don't talk to me as if society is threatend by my very existence. Just because I'm weird to you does not mean I'm dangerous to society!

Brittanyjean06

People are not making you look like your a threat to society what are you talking about? There trying to make you see that you are most likely a threat to your self and to seek help.

silentcharon
I'd walk through hell to find you"

Makes me bawl!

lol

Morph

I knooooooow!! :laugh:

I really liked the ending, how they meet again but in a different way than when they met the first time. Lol.. if that makes sense to you. Sigh.... now that is love. :love::love::love:

Oh sure. Spoil it for people who haven't seen it.

I've seen it three or four times - I'm sure I used half a box of generic tissues each time. Excellent, superb, wonderful film. Really didn't get enough attention.

I'm sure I used half a box of generic tissues each time.

:D :D :D thanks, outie ... my computer screen looks just lovely with the sprayed iced tea all over it. you're too funny!