LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Physical Fitness, Health & Weight Management

Weight Problems

Physical Fitness, Health & Weight Management Staying fit and physically healthy is essential! Remember, we aren't subsitutes for your physician! As always, talk to your doctor before following any suggestions or advice!

Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th March 2019, 5:24 PM   #46
Established Member

While having a low fat percentage is healthy, Iím quite turned off by the muscular bodies (especially their upper arms) of American female celebrities nowadays. They donít look feminine wearing shirtless dresses/tops anymore. You wouldnít see such huge muscles on female celebrities years ago.
JuneL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2019, 5:47 PM   #47
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneL View Post
While having a low fat percentage is healthy, Iím quite turned off by the muscular bodies (especially their upper arms) of American female celebrities nowadays. They donít look feminine wearing shirtless dresses/tops anymore. You wouldnít see such huge muscles on female celebrities years ago.

Like who??

I see a lot of female celebrities that are pretty thin/gaunt, but I wouldn't call them muscular or over built..

TFY
Old 15th March 2019, 10:27 PM   #48
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefooloftheyear View Post
Like who??

I see a lot of female celebrities that are pretty thin/gaunt, but I wouldn't call them muscular or over built..

TFY
Actually muscular upper arms on thin women look especially unappealing for my taste. Thereíre plenty...Cameron Diez, Holly Hunter, Madonna, Sarah Jessica Parker (they might not look like this when younger though).
JuneL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2019, 10:53 AM   #49
Established Member

Their builds are similar to many women 50 years ago. My mom had the same arms, they came from hanging wash on a clothesline, hauling 4 kids from place to place and many other outdated activities. Men obviously had different bodies also. As TFY points out, was a different world...

Mr. Lucky

Eleanor Roosevelt
Mr. Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2019, 10:14 AM   #50
Established Member

The best way to shed the pounds and keep them off is through a commitment to a consistent diet and fitness training program that incorporates both weight lifting and cardio.

Crash diets may yield some immediate gratification when you look at the scale, but they are ultimately unhealthy and almost inevitably lead to failure - where an individual plateaus after their metabolism slows down to glacial rates, they give up, and then gain back even more weight than they lost due to the aforementioned decline of their metabolic rate. I would also advise against these candy diets and other junk food diets that I'm seeing in the thread. That kind of diet is dangerous to your health and lacks the nutrition that a body needs to maximize weight loss and physical fitness.

Just remember that Rome wasn't built in a day. Set an end goal along with smaller goals for yourself each week in order to track your progress, make adjustments where needed, and to stay motivated as you accomplish each of your weekly goals. If you stay committed to them then eventually all of that seemingly insignificant weekly progress will add up to help you achieve the body you desire.

Good luck!
Romantic_Antics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2019, 8:46 AM   #51
Established Member

Lately Iíve been focused on one thing : calorie deficit. I use MyFitnessPal app to track what I eat and the calories burned through exercice. I go to the gym 2-3 times a week (starting slow to make sure I keep it up instead of trying to do to much too fast). I usually do 20-30 minutes cardio and 30-40 minutes strength training. I also have my Fitbit and try to do 10 000 steps a day.
As for the food, I try to buy mostly un transformed food (meat, veggies, fruits, grains, etc.) and I meal prep on Sunday. I make all my lunches for the week, so that Iím not tempted to eat out (I donít want to waste food). I also plan my snacks so Iím not hungry during the day (fruit and tbsp of peanut butter for morning snack, and veggies + hummus for afternoon snack).

Doing this for a month, and I lost close to 10 pounds. I do sometimes eat a little junk (like yesterday I ate 2 oreos, and last week, for supper my boyfriend and I eat hot dogs and poutine for dinner). I try not to see food as ę bad Ľ or ę good Ľ but rather ę nutritious Ľ and ę not so nutritious Ľ, and I eat mostly the first category and allow myself some of the second.
SophieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2019, 10:48 AM   #52
Established Member

For me, tracking food has helped.

But also key is drinking water. Lots of it. Minimum 64 0z, but better guideline is half your weight in pounds in oz (supposedly). Water helps your body break down fat. Just set 64 oz as your minimum and try for more. Carbonated stuff should be avoided, try limit caffeine to about 300mg/day.

I used to use myfitnesspal but am on a different plan now, but recommend my fitnesspal.
I am down ~65 pounds from 2017, and trending downward again.
Stew Smith also has a decent 'office workout' you can do in a cubicle, but even just walking 30 minutes every other day can help a lot.
Orokotikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2019, 10:06 PM   #53
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathtub-row View Post
Thereís a kind of genius behind the diet. Itís better than fasting because eating tiny amounts causes your body to work to digest food. Itís basically 5 bites of anything you want for lunch and the same for dinner. The book explains everything really well.
I used to, and still do at times, eat like this due to blood sugar issues... it worked great and I felt better. Also I try not to eat after 3 or 4 in the afternoon, that works really good too.
Old 21st March 2019, 10:08 PM   #54
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orokotikki View Post
I am down ~65 pounds from 2017, and trending downward again.
That's a tremendous accomplishment. Good for you!
Romantic_Antics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2019, 10:31 AM   #55
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romantic_Antics View Post
That's a tremendous accomplishment. Good for you!
Thanks, but unfortunately much of it was due to struggling to eat and gastric distress during my wife's A, while I started a gym membership. I have been able to keep it trending down mostly, so thats something.

I guess its my silver lining.
Orokotikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2019, 11:02 AM   #56
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pureinheart View Post
I used to, and still do at times, eat like this due to blood sugar issues... it worked great and I felt better. Also I try not to eat after 3 or 4 in the afternoon, that works really good too.
I wish I had the mental strength to not eat after 4. Iím the hungriest later in the day, bc thatís when work is done, and I feel relaxed. Meh.
Artdeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2019, 9:11 PM   #57
Established Member

Weight loss is mostly about diet. You cannot outrun a bad diet.

Committing to a low carb diet helped me lose 20 pounds. I have also recently become a vegetarian and I have begun to take extended water fasts. Fasting is controversial but it can reset your metabolism, help you kick cravings and food addiction, and provide psychological well being by embracing your willpower. Fasting is perfectly safe for those who are overweight and especially individuals who have a lot of body fat.

I drink 4 quarts of water per day whether I am fasting or not. I rarely drink juice or pop.
BettyDraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2019, 3:46 AM   #58
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artdeco View Post
I wish I had the mental strength to not eat after 4. Iím the hungriest later in the day, bc thatís when work is done, and I feel relaxed. Meh.
Last year I did really good and some days could stop eating at 1 or 2- this year not happening and I have to eat high caloric foods now because it's just too much lol ... still losing though, but it's very, very slow...
pureinheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2019, 10:46 AM   #59
Established Member

I have always had a high metabolism and never struggled with
my weight but I have many friends who have. What I noticed
is that once they started their weight loss journey that simply
would never give the process enough TIME. If results were
seen quickly, they seemed to give up.
oceanblue12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2019, 10:45 AM   #60
Established Member

I think that people often unrealistic expectations as far as weight loss and being fit are concerned. Some are genetically predisposed to having weight issues while others aren't. Like I mentioned before, being consistent in whatever plan you have is key. I had the opposite issue for many years, keeping my playing weight on.
oceanblue12 is offline   Reply With Quote