LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Addiction & Recovery

Can someone be addicted to weed??


Addiction & Recovery Recognizing, conquering, and coping with addictions, substance abuse & dependence.

Like Tree42Likes
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st March 2016, 4:28 PM   #46
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveweary11 View Post
So is it possible to be addicted to weed?

Any tips on easing her off?

The crazy thing is she functions much, much better on it than off it. Her concentration improves. She does better at work on it.
While it is possible an actual physical addiction to this substance is very rare. She is using shatter and oil which are much stronger than the regular, but again its just stronger.

Its more likely she is what you'd call a "chronic". She may have natural anxiety issue that the substance helps. Much better for her to be on this than benzodiazapenes if this is the case.
ktya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016, 5:38 PM   #47
Established Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Earth
Posts: 2,046
I can attest to the reproductive system changes and lowered immune system of daily weed smoking.

My period was irregular when I smoked constantly. Ever since I quit, my period is like clockwork and it is shorter.

I had colds and flu at least twice a season when I was smoking. I have not been sick once this year.

Last edited by BettyDraper; 1st March 2016 at 5:41 PM..
BettyDraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2016, 10:23 AM   #48
Established Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Northern Hemisphere, Earth
Posts: 1,182
The body is affected by anything and everything you put into it or don't put into it. Marijuana is no different. I have never known a daily marijuana smoker who DIDN'T have both psychological and physical issues when they tried to quit (usually illness, emotional difficulties, and even psychotic symptoms), and the majority of them wound up going back to marijuana after a short period of attempting sobriety in order to self-soothe the side effects from quitting. That sounds like addiction to me.
TunaInTheBrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2016, 4:38 PM   #49
Established Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: It's a secret
Posts: 6,648
Give the results of the rat experiment anyone can be addicted to anything.
joystickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2016, 3:53 PM   #50
Established Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 801
We can get addicted to anything....even carrots...

https://drmarkgriffiths.wordpress.co...rot-addiction/
__________________
"Where love rules, there is no will to power; and where power predominates, there love is lacking. The one is the shadow of the other." - Carl Jung
truthtripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2016, 3:58 PM   #51
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: US
Posts: 4,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveCakes View Post
Replying as an avid smoker.

If you don't smoke regularly you won't understand. Smoking to some is a necessity not because of addition but because of the positive effects it has on our life. For me it helps regulate my moods. I was an emotional mess and flying off the walls, until I returned to smoking daily.

Weed is very taboo - this is clearly changing now thank God.

I'm 32, successful in my career, run a horse farm also by myself on top of working full time, have great relationships with friends etc. Weed is not a negative thing. The way people perceive it what is negative.

If you are truly against cannabis use then I say break it off. My advice however is to accept it, and maybe learn more about it so you understand the benefits it can bring to some people's lives.
My exH was like this, and very productive and successful. I think he might have had some anxiety issues or maybe weed was like ritalin for him- probably better than ritalin. He was more insightful, efficient, focused, etc when he smoked regularly. I don't know if he ever got a medical card for it, but he should if he hasn't.
BlueIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2017, 7:50 PM   #52
Established Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 18,797
<Moved two posts to a more topical thread on marijuana>

Off the subject a little, I want to just warn the pot smokers about something. You get used to the smell of pot and can't tell that your whole house or car reeks of it. So even if you think you've aired it out, you haven't. People who don't smoke it can smell it clearly.

And the other thing is police are using K9s a whole lot more these days than ever before, and even on traffic stops, and those dogs can smell it from months before and go right to it. You are way more likely to be busted for it now than ever before because these K9s have amazing capabilities. So I'm just saying you're kind of nuts if you carry it in the car with you or smoke it in there nowadays. They can smell other kinds of drugs too, of course, but even the human nose can pick up old pot smell.
__________________
"I care not much for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not better for it." -- Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by LoveShack.org Moderator; 30th December 2017 at 2:55 PM..
preraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2017, 2:48 PM   #53
Established Member
 
Buriall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by preraph View Post
Off the subject a little, I want to just warn the pot smokers about something. You get used to the smell of pot and can't tell that your whole house or car reeks of it. So even if you think you've aired it out, you haven't. People who don't smoke it can smell it clearly.

And the other thing is police are using K9s a whole lot more these days than ever before, and even on traffic stops, and those dogs can smell it from months before and go right to it. You are way more likely to be busted for it now than ever before because these K9s have amazing capabilities. So I'm just saying you're kind of nuts if you carry it in the car with you or smoke it in there nowadays. They can smell other kinds of drugs too, of course, but even the human nose can pick up old pot smell.
dude im not moving pounds of pot lmao K9s...smh

Im not afraid of reeking like pot..better than reeking like cigs. I carry my **** in the car have not been stopped ONCE in years of using it..

and most importantly I DO NOT GIVE SINGLE FLYIN *** what people think if they smell it!!!!
__________________
Muddy water is best cleared by leaving it alone.

Last edited by Buriall; 30th December 2017 at 2:50 PM..
Buriall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2017, 4:45 PM   #54
Established Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveweary11 View Post
A girl I'm seeing who also lives and works with me seems to be addicted to weed. I didn't realize that was even possible!
You can get addicted to just about anything, Sex, Porn, marijuana, smoking etc. I will say this, the threshold to cross the line between casual user and addict is somewhat higher. With powerful narcotics like Crack or Heroin, it doesn't take long to become addicted, sometime one high is all some people need. Generally a marijuana user would have to use it daily for a couple of weeks before they are truly addicted. Also the withdrawal is far more mild that what someone would experience coming off something like Cocaine or Heroin.
AngryGromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2017, 9:30 PM   #55
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 145
Almost every person I knew who smoked weed mentions that they smoke weed because it's much safer than the more hardcore drugs.

Later on, if we become closer friends, I learn that they also do the hardcore drugs, but they don't talk about that...they just talk about the weed because I suppose it's more socially acceptable.

I don't think I ever met a person who just smoked weed and didn't do something else on the side in secret.

So now, if I ever meet someone who mentions they smoke pot, I kind of assume they have either done other drugs in the past, or are on it now.

I don't like making general assumptions like this, but it is more for my safety as I also learned (the hard way) that people on drugs tend to lie a lot.

Last edited by magnesium; 31st December 2017 at 9:35 PM..
magnesium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2017, 9:43 PM   #56
Established Member
 
amaysngrace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 23,772
I think it's a mental attitude i.e. "it's better to be high" but it's not like nicotine where you need it and freak out if you're running low.

If you run out you run out but there's no withdrawal or jonesing like you get with real addiction.
amaysngrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2018, 10:23 PM   #57
Established Member
 
RecentChange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 4,683
People do not become chemically addicted to marijuana.

They do not experience physical withdrawals. The body does not become sick like detox from opiates or a bazillion prescription different drugs.

They can however become habituated. Pot can be habit forming but is not addictive.

There are no withdrawal headaches like caffeine, or chemically induced cravings like nicotine. They won't go through dangerous DTs like an alcoholic would if you took away the alcohol.

But a chronic user can become irratable when they can't get their fix. They will feel "off" if not smoking like they are habituated to.

It's different than a physical addiction though.
RecentChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2018, 10:27 PM   #58
Established Member
 
RecentChange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 4,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnesium View Post
Almost every person I knew who smoked weed mentions that they smoke weed because it's much safer than the more hardcore drugs.

Later on, if we become closer friends, I learn that they also do the hardcore drugs, but they don't talk about that...they just talk about the weed because I suppose it's more socially acceptable.

I don't think I ever met a person who just smoked weed and didn't do something else on the side in secret.

So now, if I ever meet someone who mentions they smoke pot, I kind of assume they have either done other drugs in the past, or are on it now.

I don't like making general assumptions like this, but it is more for my safety as I also learned (the hard way) that people on drugs tend to lie a lot.
That's because it's the people who openly admit it, while there are still stigmas.

My husband smokes weed. He has never ever ever done any other recreational drugs besides alcohol.

I know a number of very successful people who smoke weed. A COO of a large semiconductor company, a CEO of a billion dollar investment firm, attorneys etc...

And they don't do other drugs, nor do they allow it to be widely known that they smoke pot. That is something they share with only their closest friends. It will usually come out at a dinner party after the bottles of Pinots have been drank, and aquaintance type guests are sent home.
RecentChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2018, 10:45 PM   #59
Established Member
 
Buriall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentChange View Post
That's because it's the people who openly admit it, while there are still stigmas.

My husband smokes weed. He has never ever ever done any other recreational drugs besides alcohol.

I know a number of very successful people who smoke weed. A COO of a large semiconductor company, a CEO of a billion dollar investment firm, attorneys etc...

And they don't do other drugs, nor do they allow it to be widely known that they smoke pot. That is something they share with only their closest friends. It will usually come out at a dinner party after the bottles of Pinots have been drank, and aquaintance type guests are sent home.

This.. ive done mushrooms once on the side and that was at a music festival besides that i don't do any other hardcore drugs and have no interest taking them..
Buriall is offline   Reply With Quote
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

 

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I'm not addicted to drugs.. I'm addicted to feeling better LuckyClover Addiction & Recovery 3 28th December 2012 12:34 AM
Am I sex addicted or stress addicted? brokenherz Infidelity 6 8th November 2007 9:48 PM
Friend is addicted to weed, its destroying his relationships RocketMan2 Addiction & Recovery 9 28th January 2007 11:06 AM
Addicted to weed? the_alchemyst Addiction & Recovery 76 6th November 2006 12:38 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:42 AM.

Please note: The suggestions and advice offered on this web site are opinions only and are not to be used in the place of professional psychological counseling or medical advice. If you or someone close to you is currently in crisis or in an emergency situation, contact your local law enforcement agency or emergency number.


Copyright © 1997-2018 LoveShack.org. All Rights Reserved.