How often can a smaller/weaker opponent beat the bigger one in a fight

This is what happened when I underestimated this guy smaller than me. I'll be returning to class by next week (I'm still kind of swollen and with a black eye) but this is so embarrassing. Everyone saw it and don't know what to tell them all if they asked about it.:(

Me: 6'2 and weighing 210 pounds

Guy who beat me: 5'8 and weighing about 150 pounds

I didn't really think he would actually get mad enough and fight me. Usually no one would ever dream about challenging me. I don't think I'll be popular again after this and everyone seeing the bloody mess.

But is there a way I can gain my reputation back? How humiliating!!! I guess I must really suck at fighting if I couldn't even connect a good punch at him.

Edited by EpicCentre
  • Author

Well at least I don't have any broken bones nor nose but I'm a mess. I look like the terminator.:(

How do I get through this humiliation? No one ever did this to me EVER. To make matters worst, someone had to actually pulled him off me and towards the end, I was in tears.

Edited by EpicCentre
Feelin Frisky

Often enough apparently. Suck it up that you got licked.

Actually, there's nothing in the way of a rule I think except how vicious one's nature is. I was in many fights as a kid but I was always the type to let a person up if they surrendered. Some guys I knew would just as soon put out an eye or shatter a testicle. I don't have that brutality thing so I suppose I could be humbled rather quickly by someone smaller who was cold-blooded mean in a hurry. Thankfully that hasn't happened.

• Author
Actually, there's nothing in the way of a rule I think except how vicious one's nature is. I was in many fights as a kid but I was always the type to let a person up if they surrendered.
Yeah I suppose that makes a difference. You know your way through fights. This is only my second time (won the first fight long ago though).

It can and does happen often.

Let me make you a hot cup of tea and I'll tell you a little story about a country called Canada that shoved the U.S. of A. out of their backyard many moons ago. All odds against them, yet they defied the odds and won a battle no one thought them capable of winning.;)

P.S. Hi Eric.

• Author
It can and does happen often.
Never seen that before and this is my lesson I learned:

Never underestimate your smaller, weaker opponent and think you can fight them easily (I guess my ego got the best of me and for a while you think you're superman until reality comes and someone knock some sense into you). Also: don't mess with him again that is.

Let me make you a hot cup of tea and I'll tell you a little story about a country called Canada that shoved the U.S. of A. out of their backyard many moons ago. All odds against them, yet they defied the odds and won a battle no one thought them capable of winning.;)

P.S. Hi Eric.

Yeah we were just their colonies and still beat the hell out of them.:laugh:
Feelin Frisky
Yeah I suppose that makes a difference. You know your way through fights. This is only my second time (won the first fight long ago though).

I suggest avoiding them as much as possible. They get very serious about that stuff when you're of age--it's not a fight any more, it's assult and battery or what have you and legalities can eat one alive.

Are you for real? If you get in fights, sooner or later you're going to wind up messing the wrong person. Be glad that he didn't stab you.

Learn to keep your mouth shut and avoid conflict. If you were attacked without provocation (I doubt this was the case), then perhaps take up a martial art.

And yes, never underestimate your opponent. Be glad you learned this lesson in a schoolyard scrap rather than on the streets in your adult life.

• Author
Are you for real? If you get in fights, sooner or later you're going to wind up messing the wrong person. Be glad that he didn't stab you.
Yes I'm a 17 year-old who was popular till now (not sure how everyone else will react once I come back). However, I didn't intended to fight him. I was only playing/joking with him but didn't think he would unleashed that bottled-up anger. I mistaken him and that's what led to my beating. At the same time I'm still shocked because he is really a quiet, ok dude but kind of weird at times.

Learn to keep your mouth shut and avoid conflict. If you were attacked without provocation (I doubt this was the case), then perhaps take up a martial art.
Not really. I had been sort of on his case for a little while (about 3 years I think) so I guess it was deserved. But still, I never had the intention to fight nor beat him.

And yes, never underestimate your opponent. Be glad you learned this lesson in a schoolyard scrap rather than on the streets in your adult life.
Yeah never again.

Still, he sure ruined my reputation now. I'll probably never be the same popular guy again who everyone respected. Instead I'll just be the average guy.

You could get your ass kicked by a little girl if she got mad enough. It's usually about who wants it more. If you aren't really pissed, don't even bother.

Still, he sure ruined my reputation now. I'll probably never be the same popular guy again who everyone respected. Instead I'll just be the average guy.

An adult gains respect from his peers by projecting confidence, empathy, and a willingness to better those around him as well as himself.

What I find interesting, and a little sad, is that you seem more concerned about your own reputation as the "cool kid" than reflecting on how your own actions provoked the other guy into kicking your ass.

It's obvious that what you considered to be joking/teasing was not taken as the same by the other kid, right? This is where the empathy component comes into play. Learn to put yourself into other people's shoes and think about how your actions and words could affect them.

Make no mistake about it: you provoked this. While physical violence towards you was probably not warranted, keep in mind that if you push someone far enough, logic and level-headedness go out the window. What's left are the animalistic instincts that kick in during times of duress.

EpicCentre,

What's going on at home for you? Are your parents on your case? What would your parents think if you are just the "average guy" ?

How are your marks at school?

What do you want to do after you graduate?

I was only playing/joking with him but didn't think he would unleashed that bottled-up anger. I mistaken him and that's what led to my beating.At the same time I'm still shocked because he is really a quiet, ok dude but kind of weird at times.

Not really. I had been sort of on his case for a little while (about 3 years I think) so I guess it was deserved. But still, I never had the intention to fight nor beat him.

These are the words that a bully would say.

Do you think the guy who beat you would say you are a bully?

Yeah never again.

Your reputation is that you are a bully.

If you want respect, start a new reputation. Go up to him and say you are sorry for being on his case for 3 years. If you see anyone else on his case, make sure you help him.

You don't know this, but one day you will realize what happened to you is the greatest lesson that you have learned in your life. You are 17, about to become an adult, this is your chance to do right.

There's a new movie coming out called Bully. Do a google search on The Bully Project. I hope you go see it. In fact, ask the guy who beat you up if he would go see the movie with you and your friends.

That's what happens when you mess with a short guy.

Hope you enjoyed it.

• Author
It's obvious that what you considered to be joking/teasing was not taken as the same by the other kid, right?

Right he didn't. This was our last conversation before he took off his shirt. It was something like this:

Him: MF I ain't playing, can fight you if I wanted to but it's not worth it

Me: You fighting me? (laughing loudly) Fag I could pound you easily you ain't nothing. You'll end up running from me and go home cry to mom

Me (seeing him walking away): Yeah walk away because you're scared and know I can take you easily

Me (to my friends): See he's scared

Me (to him): What if I screwed your mother and she likes it. What then? I heard she's a cheating whore (it's a lie). Sloot's gonna be a sloot.

Then he headed back, took off his shirt, challenged me, I took of mine too and the rest is history. Didn't even have time to react.

Make no mistake about it: you provoked this. While physical violence towards you was probably not warranted, keep in mind that if you push someone far enough, logic and level-headedness go out the window. What's left are the animalistic instincts that kick in during times of duress.
That's the same thing my best friends have been telling me. They didn't really took my side at all.

If I on his shoes, maybe I would have reacted similar. Though can't tell because I've never been there ever. No one ever joked with me.

Anyways do you know what can I say if anyone at school ask about it or says say is it true you got beaten by Jeff?

• Author
EpicCentre,

What's going on at home for you? Are your parents on your case? What would your parents think if you are just the "average guy" ?

Yes my parents are on my case of wanting me to become a doctor or lawyer but I hate reading too much.

How are your marks at school?
3.33 unweighted (though used to 3.60) but it's mainly when I get lazy. If I were trying harder then it would be higher.

What do you want to do after you graduate?
To be honest I don't know. I'm sick of school. Still have one freaking year left. I'm bored.

Do you think the guy who beat you would say you are a bully?

Your reputation is that you are a bully.

I've never considered myself a bully and instead thought I was the joker in school. Everyone I made more friends and girls would go out with it, my ego rose. Well someone told me once I was the best and I believed it.

If you want respect, start a new reputation. Go up to him and say you are sorry for being on his case for 3 years. If you see anyone else on his case, make sure you help him.
Ok.....

There's a new movie coming out called Bully. Do a google search on The Bully Project. I hope you go see it. In fact, ask the guy who beat you up if he would go see the movie with you and your friends.
I've seen a movie once similar to that name but the bully actually beats the little guy when they're kids. The reason I never considered myself a bully is really because I was not physical to him, just verbally. I always thought that it was only physical beatings in order to be consider that.
Yes my parents are on my case of wanting me to become a doctor or lawyer but I hate reading too much.

Did you tell you parents how you feel? You don't have to be a doctor or a lawyer. It's not their life, it's yours.

3.33 unweighted (though used to 3.60) but it's mainly when I get lazy. If I were trying harder then it would be higher.

Keep studying.

To be honest I don't know. I'm sick of school. Still have one freaking year left. I'm bored.

What do you like to do that's fun and not boring to you? Whatever it is, I guarantee you that there is some type of career that you can build around that and you can very good and successful at it. Focus on that.

I've never considered myself a bully and instead thought I was the joker in school. Everyone I made more friends and girls would go out with it, my ego rose. Well someone told me once I was the best and I believed it.

A lot of bullies don't think they are a bully, but what they do is in fact bullying.

Ok.....

Yes, ok. Do it.

I've seen a movie once similar to that name but the bully actually beats the little guy when they're kids. The reason I never considered myself a bully is really because I was not physical to him, just verbally. I always thought that it was only physical beatings in order to be consider that.

Verbal bullying can be worse than physical bullying.

EpicCentre, you've been granted a great gift to make the right choices that will affect you for the rest of your life.

I'm about 5'8" and 160. I will win a fight EVERY SINGLE TIME, because I will refuse to join one. If someone is still dumb enough to attack me, they'll probably receive a few 9mm 147gr JHP +Ps... ;)

• Author
What do you like to do that's fun and not boring to you?
Being the owner of a large business.

Here is an update: It turns out my friends gave Jeff my address (he felt bad about the beating and was asking for me). All they wanted to see if I was ok. It was my mother who answered the door because I was too embarrassed to come out of my room. I didn't really wanted them to see me this way. They all had a long conversationg with my mother and that was that.

To my surprise one of the ''get well soon'' card is from Jeff.

This is the following message:

Hi EpicCentre,

I hope you get better. Wanted to talk to you before but didn't have your number nor address so I asked one of your friends. Say you ok? I'm sorry about the beating. Get better soon.

I'm impressed. I was a complete jerk and for sure didn't deserved this. I'm gonna talk to him as soon as I get better.

That's an excellent goal. Do you have a particular type of business in mind? Have you ever met an owner of a large business? How do you think he/she treats people to be in that position? Do you know what it takes to be an owner of a large business (what type of education is needed) ?

Hi EpicCentre,

I hope you get better. Wanted to talk to you before but didn't have your number nor address so I asked one of your friends. Say you ok? I'm sorry about the beating. Get better soon.

I'm impressed. I was a complete jerk and for sure didn't deserved this. I'm gonna talk to him as soon as I get better.

What are you planning to say to him when you talk to him?

Here is an update: It turns out my friends gave Jeff my address (he felt bad about the beating and was asking for me). All they wanted to see if I was ok. It was my mother who answered the door because I was too embarrassed to come out of my room. I didn't really wanted them to see me this way. They all had a long conversationg with my mother and that was that.

To my surprise one of the ''get well soon'' card is from Jeff.

Hi EpicCentre,

He showed some class with that. I guess he has your respect now.

• Author
That's an excellent goal. Do you have a particular type of business in mind? Have you ever met an owner of a large business? How do you think he/she treats people to be in that position? Do you know what it takes to be an owner of a large business (what type of education is needed)?
I was thinking of one similar to either the Applied Industrial Technology or Abercrombie & Finch. No, I have never met nor spoken with an owner before. It would be kool. Mainly it takes leadership, computer literacy, interpersonal relationship and management skills to become an owner of one of those important corporation.

What are you planning to say to him when you talk to him?
Something along this line:

Hi Jeff I've received your card. Thanks and sorry for being such a total jerk all those 3 years. It's all good now.

Then do what you suggested on one of your post. Invite him to movies with my friends.

Then off course stand up for anyone that's getting picked on.

I was thinking of one similar to either the Applied Industrial Technology or Abercrombie & Finch. No, I have never met nor spoken with an owner before. It would be kool. Mainly it takes leadership, computer literacy, interpersonal relationship and management skills to become an owner of one of those important corporation.

You have the right idea. Find out if there is a business class in your school and talk to the teacher -- ask if they can arrange for you to meet with a business owner for lunch one day so you can find out what it is like. Have you ever seen the tv show Undercover Boss? Owning a large business requires you to know and get along with a lot of people, even those you don't like or agree with.

Something along this line:

Hi Jeff I've received your card. Thanks and sorry for being such a total jerk all those 3 years. It's all good now.

Then do what you suggested on one of your post. Invite him to movies with my friends.

Then off course stand up for anyone that's getting picked on.

Yes. Like i said in my earlier post, this incident with Jeff is one of the best lessons you will ever learn. If you do this, you will be on your way to learning what's required to achieve your goals in business.

• Like 1
silvermane187

LOL sweet, sweet justice for the kid getting picked on. I hope you learned a valuable life lesson. Stop being such a douchebag, it could get you killed one day.

• Like 1