LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Familial > Parenting

Skipping a grade?

Parenting Discuss tips, concerns, and all the mayhem involved in raising kids.

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th February 2018, 5:46 PM   #31
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelle303 View Post
I'm scared she'll resent me if I take her out of an environment where she's happy and has a ton of friends.
Well...that will depend. Does she come across now as having a resentful personality?

My personal story is that I was skipped from Grade 2 to 4, and moved to a new country at age 15; without any consultation with me. (I woulda had my own opinions on both, to be sure. .) Separate to that, I just recently found out that, as a youngster, my mom was "scared that I would be jealous" of my new sibling. But I'm not a jealous person at all; just wasn't born that way...so it was her own stuff that she projected onto me, which did cause harm to my psyche for a few decades, until I finally realized that I needed some professional assistance to properly deal with the effects.
But no...I do not resent her for the grade-skipping and country-moving. I recognize the good intentions behind that.

I guess...whatever decision you do make on your daughter's behalf, as long as you can clearly enunciate your thoughts and reasons (also to her, later on, if she'll need you to do that), and you know that they are the very best decisions that you know to make right now, with only her best interests in heart and mind, then you and your daughter will be okay at the end of it all. Based on my personal experience.

Practically speaking, as already suggested, is there some way that she might be allowed to 'try out' participating, in an academic classroom setting, with the next-level students? It is more important for her to get a feel for that, and feel comfortable with it, but may also help to alleviate your own reservations and concerns regarding her abilities in this area.

Helping her Dad recognize this as an opportunity for her, is a different kettle of fish, unfortunately. Again, though, it could be a matter of asking him (helping him) to see her on her own merits and strengths, rather than through a filter of his fears.

Wishing you and your daughter and her dad only the very best in life.
Old 13th February 2018, 5:43 PM   #32
Established Member

It's funny you'd say that because it's true that my worries have been for nothing. She's actually excited about this prospect, she knows some of the older kids already and she's happy that she gets to go to the same class as them because she loves hearing about stuff they do.

So while I was sitting there biting my nails about her making friends among the older kids, she already made friends and invited a bunch of her future classmates, as well as her current classmates to her birthday party next month. Soo yeah...love throwing huge birthday parties for even more kids than I originally thought.
noelle303 is offline   Reply With Quote