Letting go again...and I feel stupid

Last thread re: this relationship: https://www.loveshack.org/forums/breaking-up-reconciliation-coping/breaks-breaking-up/658168-letting-go-because-hurt#post7578661

This ended poorly. We became more distant, but slightly still in touch. I couldn't let go and continued to reach out. He kept saying he was coming back, but took 6 weeks to actually materialize. We met up when he got back into town. I was the first person he contacted. I was drunk and I don't remember a lot of it. But he stayed at my house until 4:30am, I think hinting about someone else he's in love with, but we talked about other stuff, I think I got confused. I tried to kiss him and got rejected. Also asked him to leave at one point and he didn't understand why. I handled it well, no crying or getting angry. I think I was just sad, trying to pretend I wasn't and laughing it off. He hugged me goodnight and said "Next time we hang out, let's laugh and have fun." The next day, I told him I was going to leave him alone. That I wished him the best. If he wanted to get coffee in the light of day and sober, that would be good for me, but I'd also be OK with never seeing him again. And he responded with a "sigh". And that's been a week ago.

The worst part of it is, he now lives a block from me. I can see when he's home and when he's not, even if I'm trying not to look. I waited 4 months to see him and when I finally do, it's a different story, I was drunk, so not at my best, and he doesn't want to see me or miss me anymore. It's like we're neighbors who just avoid each other.

In the end, yes, I am moving forward, but how do you get over the feelings of regret, embarrassment and feeling like it's your fault this didn't work out? I think if I would've played it cool from the beginning, had more patience, spent more time on me, it would be a different story. I know you can't get caught in the past, it's over, done. I can't change it. But some times I still wonder if he'll text me one day with a cute "hi :) how have you been?".......pathetic, I know.

Edited by linzartrax

Pick something easier,...like just being good neighbors. Do that. Let the rest take care of itself.

• Like 1