What % of people are shallow?

Hkizzle

I read a lot of threads where people post situations they see in real life and other posters will say, "how selfish" or "how self centered".

Thing is, if you're analyzing real life situations, you don't just look at an ideal and what' right. You look at how people truly respond, and a large % of people are selfish and shallow.

There's a big difference between the two and will alter how you see things. I feel that a lot of people seem to do the first (think of ideals) without thinking of the second (that many people don't actually act that way).

So what % of people are actually shallow?

I'm not sure if I could throw out a %, but I know I observe more of this than I'd like to. People need to get over themselves & stop taking themselves so seriously. Sometimes I wonder if they think the rest of us are all actors in a show for them.

87.6452%.

Well, here's the problem. Shallow is subjective. I think most of us actually do judge a potential partner on their looks at first. Is it shallow? I don't think so. Even people who say looks don't matter aren't dating the elephant man I would say. Could you define shallow as cares only about looks and nothing else? I think that's a possibility, and I think that's actually a small percentage of people. I think most people have shades of shallow, and most are not completely unshallow and completely shallow.

87.6452%.

Well, here's the problem. Shallow is subjective. I think most of us actually do judge a potential partner on their looks at first. Is it shallow? I don't think so. Even people who say looks don't matter aren't dating the elephant man I would say. Could you define shallow as cares only about looks and nothing else? I think that's a possibility, and I think that's actually a small percentage of people. I think most people have shades of shallow, and most are not completely unshallow and completely shallow.

But isn't there more to being shallow than just judging looks? Money, for example... many girls I know when being told about a first date I've recently been on want to know what car they drive, as the FIRST thing they ask...

• Author
87.6452%.

Yeah it is subjective, but that makes an interesting discussion then.

But isn't there more to being shallow than just judging looks? Money, for example... many girls I know when being told about a first date I've recently been on want to know what car they drive, as the FIRST thing they ask...

well I didn't say it's only about looks. Of course it can be about money or anything superficial really.

well I didn't say it's only about looks. Of course it can be about money or anything superficial really.

Agreed, there are many different superficial views out there.

SoulSearch_CO

Cripes. Where do you live? L.A.?

Some of the things on this board are so foreign to me. I guess living in the "Wild, Wild West" can give you some perspective. I can't say I've EVER been asked that question and if I were, my first reaction would probably be, "Uhhhhh..." :confused:

Percentage of shallow people. Well, obviously that depends on where you live. :)

Everyone believes that everyone else is shallow.

Playing the "shallow game" is simply another excuse to puff-up one's self-esteem at the expense of the "shallow" hordes.

Beware of too much depth.

Most people in the western world. There are people living in shacks in some village that are happier than your average yuppy that is obsessed with wealth.

Most people in the western world. There are people living in shacks in some village that are happier than your average yuppy that is obsessed with wealth.

Shallowness is yet another way to confirm our prejudices. That person shops at JC Penny's and lives on a farm, she can't be shallow.

That guy drives a Porsche and enjoys a 7-figure income, and works for some Fortune 500 Company, he's shallow.

The Shallowness Labeling Game is a rorschach which tells us more about ourselves than the people or social classes that we label.

It's all about self-confirmation, at the expense of others.

Simply enjoying luxeries does not make a person shallow. What makes them shallow is when you make keeping up with the joneses and image the end all and be all of life.

butcher's hook

Being shallow is not just about looks, it is about intellectual snobbery as well or about someone's overall character assessments so I would say everyone is shallow in their own way. If you have ever said the words "I hate stupid people" or "I don't like people with weak characters" you are just as shallow. It's the ability to see yourself above humanity that makes you shallow.

"My name is, (name my parents gave me), I am shallow, nice to meet you." :D

Being shallow is not just about looks, it is about intellectual snobbery as well or about someone's overall character assessments so I would say everyone is shallow in their own way. If you have ever said the words "I hate stupid people" or "I don't like people with weak characters" you are just as shallow. It's the ability to see yourself above humanity that makes you shallow.

"My name is, (name my parents gave me), I am shallow, nice to meet you." :D

From one shallow person to another, well said! :)

butcher's hook
From one shallow person to another, well said! :)

:laugh: The first step is accepting you have a problem right? So we've got that right! (your av is priceless!:laugh:)

We're looking for a percentage of people with a completely indiscernible and subjective quality? Let's say.... 118%

butcher's hook
We're looking for a percentage of people with a completely indiscernible and subjective quality? Let's say.... 118%

Well that comment is an abstact stance to take in itself. It's like saying believing love exists is like looking for something completely indiscernible and subjective. We are not talking about UFO's or God we are talking about things that to our realm of existence can be accepted as real given what we know and experience.

You can't see a person's feelings but you know we have them or would you argue feelings don't exist?

Well that comment is an abstact stance to take in itself. It's like saying believing love exists is like looking for something completely indiscernible and subjective. We are not talking about UFO's or God we are talking about things that to our realm of existence can be accepted as real given what we know and experience.

You can't see a person's feelings but you know we have them or would you argue feelings don't exist?

What you just said made absolutely no sense to me. Quantifying an unquantifiable quality does not compute.

butcher's hook
What you just said made absolutely no sense to me. Quantifying an unquantifiable quality does not compute.

The OP did not ask to quantify and unquantifiable quality he asked to quantify a number of people who fall into a praticular category, you do understand how that can be done. Do you not?

You missed the mark from the get go. If you'd like I can explain it to you, I am very patient I don't mind sitting with you and helping you understand. ;)

The OP did not ask to quantify and unquantifiable quality he asked to quantify a number of people who fall into a praticular category, you do understand how that can be done. Do you not?

You missed the mark from the get go. If you'd like I can explain it to you, I am very patient I don't mind sitting with you and helping you understand. ;)

No, that's exactly what he asked. The particular category of being shallow? Do you think people really fit easily into one or the other? The metrics of what's being shallow are subjective to the point of irrelativity. I might think someone's shallow because the don't like people who wear sandals, and your metric is somewhere completely different. Irrelevant, indiscernible, unquantifiable.

butcher's hook
No, that's exactly what he asked. The particular category of being shallow? Do you think people really fit easily into one or the other? The metrics of what's being shallow are subjective to the point of irrelativity. I might think someone's shallow because the don't like people who wear sandals, and your metric is somewhere completely different. Irrelevant, indiscernible, unquantifiable.

If I asked you to tell me what percentage of people feel anger can you quantify that for me?

I think everyone is shallow to some extent. You can't tell me that someone out there doesn't give any thought as to what someone looks like, someone wears, owns etc? :rolleyes: