Body language!!

hope1975

what are some of the subtle hints that guys give out if they are interested in someone?

Are there any body language clues to look for?

I've heard of some suggestions like lingering eye contact, but how accurate is this in judging whether someone is interested?

Lauriebell82
what are some of the subtle hints that guys give out if they are interested in someone?

Are there any body language clues to look for?

I've heard of some suggestions like lingering eye contact, but how accurate is this in judging whether someone is interested?

My boyfriend says he used to go up and try to hit on girls and find a way to flex his muscles casually..lol in all seriousness I think the eye contact thing is something guys do, but it can be misinterrepted. In my experience, the guy smile is an important body language component when hitting on girls. It's been awhile since I've been single, but when my boyfriend looks at me sometimes he gets this gleam in his eye.

Most guys honestly (guys with balls anyway) will just smile at you, and if you return the smile they will come up and start talking to you.

same that I wanted to know for girls - Ok what I would do depending on the palce that we are at I would have eye contact - My eyes will meet yours - yes smile - maybe smile where I would blush a little - than if in a club or dancing is envolved I will ask for a dance even though I will do something realluy stupid to embarase myself which is totally typical of me - such as trip on the way to asking the dance having the girl laughing at me as she accepts the dance and so on :) but man will be obvious if they like you dependig on the personality of the guy again if he is shy as soon as your eyes meet yours he will look away - than if you feel ok with it you can go approach him I bet you will have success 8/10 times.

Lauriebell82
same that I wanted to know for girls - Ok what I would do depending on the palce that we are at I would have eye contact - My eyes will meet yours - yes smile - maybe smile where I would blush a little - than if in a club or dancing is envolved I will ask for a dance even though I will do something realluy stupid to embarase myself which is totally typical of me - such as trip on the way to asking the dance having the girl laughing at me as she accepts the dance and so on :) but man will be obvious if they like you dependig on the personality of the guy again if he is shy as soon as your eyes meet yours he will look away - than if you feel ok with it you can go approach him I bet you will have success 8/10 times.

Please use complete sentences and periods. It's very confusing to read the reponses that you write. Thank you!

• Author
My boyfriend says he used to go up and try to hit on girls and find a way to flex his muscles casually..lol in all seriousness I think the eye contact thing is something guys do, but it can be misinterrepted. In my experience, the guy smile is an important body language component when hitting on girls. It's been awhile since I've been single, but when my boyfriend looks at me sometimes he gets this gleam in his eye.

Most guys honestly (guys with balls anyway) will just smile at you, and if you return the smile they will come up and start talking to you.

Thanks for responding :)

I think I know what you mean by the gleam in the eyes...is it kind of a cheeky look?

How can you tell though if he's just smiling to be friendly? or is it a combination of the smile & the eyes?? :confused: I'm so clueless when it comes to picking up hints!!!

Lauriebell82
Thanks for responding :)

I think I know what you mean by the gleam in the eyes...is it kind of a cheeky look?

How can you tell though if he's just smiling to be friendly? or is it a combination of the smile & the eyes?? :confused: I'm so clueless when it comes to picking up hints!!!

I think it's more of a combination of the smile and the eyes. There is a difference between the "friendly" smile and the "damn she is hot" smile. I mean some guys might smile real friendly and they actually are interested. Usually I will just wait for them to come over and talk to me, after I give my little "come hither" look. A little trick I learned at a club is to pretend to look lost and that you can't find your friends. Guys seem to like "rescuing" you and it's a great ice breaker. Sneaky yes, but hey guys aren't the only ones with pick up tricks!

• Author

lol...that's good, I like that!!!

A few times I've been out to dinner with a guy & there's been long looks & occasional flirty comments, and touching, but yet nothings happened..it really confuses me & makes me wonder if I misread the signals.

hmmm...lots to think about :)

Here's some that I've noticed with me:

Constant looking. You look at him, he looks away. Then when you look away he looks at you. (Guys need to work on this). :laugh:

Stands around you so you know he's there. Might even follow you in a non-stalking way. (Yeah that makes sense.) :p

Smiles a lot

Tries talking to you and keeps on talking to you.

SHOWS off. :laugh:

Laughs at your jokes even if their stupid.

Looks like he wants to talk to you but doesn't.

Blushes! <----that's my favorite one. Hard to hide.

Anyhow I guess it's more or less obvious if he likes you. You kind of get the whole vibe thing. You know it when you see it. It's obvious or at least for me it is. I notice that stuff.

Please use complete sentences and periods. It's very confusing to read the reponses that you write. Thank you!

you snob...

Lauriebell82
you snob...

I'M NOT A SNOB.

I absolutely hate when people don't use punctuation, it's just annoying.

• Author

Thanks IpAncA theres some good hints there :)

I can never tell the difference in whether a guy is just flirting for fun, or when they're actually honestly interested..some people are just natural flirts and this is where I have trouble!!!

Geishawhelk
I'M NOT A SNOB.

I absolutely hate when people don't use punctuation, it's just annoying.

Laurie...I happen to err on your side of the "argument" on this one....

It really would change the whole pleasure of reading any literary novel with no punctuation....! :D

Geishawhelk

Hope, you are quite right. I apologise for perpetuating the "off-Topic" matter....

In Counselling skills, I learnt that in Communication, the message is only a small percentage verbal, with the next up being intonation, and the first and foremost being non-verbal..... In fact, I think body-language accounts for over 60% of communication.....

...."Birdwhistell (1970) claimed that up to 65% of a message’s meaning is communicated through non-verbal clues. Today, some researchers put the amount of information being transmitted non-verbally even higher. For example Fromkin and Rodman (1983) claim, that up to 90% of the meaning of a message is transmitted non-verbally." *

So watch your langauge when you next tell someone something important..... chances are, how you act will give away what your real intention is....!

From here

(But there are additional observations including cultural considerations.... Interesting....)

I can never tell the difference in whether a guy is just flirting for fun, or when they're actually honestly interested..some people are just natural flirts and this is where I have trouble!!!

It's my impression that guys are flirtatious because they are always interested in a lot of girls, at least when they are single. I don't mean this as a bad thing at all. If a guy is flirting with you, he is likely interested in you, at least a little bit.

I think this is where I agree with Alpha's thread about women being the one who 'chose'. It is therefore kind of up to women to be selective and chose who they will let into their lives.

So as a general rule, if a guy is flirting with you, assume he means it. It doesn't mean he is ready to commit to anything or that he considers you to be the one, but it means that he is intrigued by you. And that is a great starting block.

As for signs that he is crazy about you, they likely vary from guy to guy but I've relied on nervousness, smiling, looking in the eyes and well... you just kind of know. My biggest struggle has been to actually believe that guys could be into me, that is, to actually notice the signs.

I've found that the more of an absolute idiot they make of themselves, the more interested they are.

The more attention they gave you, the more interested they are.

If a guy likes a girl, he is going to be interested in ANYTHING she does

• Author

Ahhh Kamille you explained that well!! thanks

I think you might have hit the nail on the head jcster...there are some guys who, as I said, are just natural charmers, but maybe when a guy is really really interested he makes a fool of himself!!

great advice guys...thanks

and you all used correct punctuation!! lol :laugh:

Sure no problem. If they ask you out then there you go.

I always have this problem. Flirting can be perceived differently from person to person. One guy might be flirting to get the date, but the next guy might be flirting just for an ego kick. So I guess the only way to know for sure, is the flirting is eventually followed by asking you out, or for your number. But I don't know how many times I've found out that guys flirting with me actually liked me; it just wasn't clear enough to me at the time. Instead I try to analyze his words and actions and spend a bunch of time figuring out if it means he likes me! Geez, why can't I just know when he likes me! Flirting is very fun...but man I've missed good opportunities because of it...I always assumed it didn't mean anything.:mad:

• Author
I always have this problem. Flirting can be perceived differently from person to person. One guy might be flirting to get the date, but the next guy might be flirting just for an ego kick. So I guess the only way to know for sure, is the flirting is eventually followed by asking you out, or for your number. But I don't know how many times I've found out that guys flirting with me actually liked me; it just wasn't clear enough to me at the time. Instead I try to analyze his words and actions and spend a bunch of time figuring out if it means he likes me! Geez, why can't I just know when he likes me! Flirting is very fun...but man I've missed good opportunities because of it...I always assumed it didn't mean anything.:mad:

ahhh LoveLace

again I agree totally with this...I do the same thing...over analyze his words & actions trying to figure out if it's just fun or he really likes me....there's gotta be an easier way to tell

It's scary thinking about all the opportunities we may have passed up ;)

• Author

can anyone tell me if a guy is staring at you all the time when he doesn't think your looking, does this mean anything?

Either he's looking at something your wearing (distracting him) or he thinks your attractive.

What about this. What if he doesn't look at you at all...I mean if your talking to him and he won't look you in the eye. But you still feel like he might be looking when your not.? hhmmm