LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

How do you deal with millenials?

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th July 2017, 5:56 PM   #16
Established Member

^ sometimes. But education isn't what it used to be. Lots of places these days give you the answers to the tests, basically, just to pass you.
Old 17th July 2017, 6:36 PM   #17
Established Member

Journal Entries: 2
Can someone explain what a millenial is, exactly? Because I have looked it up before and I still couldn't make anything specific out of it. I kind of understand what the characteristics are, but what is the age-range? There does not seem to be an exact number, or at least as far as I can tell. So if that is the case, how does one determine who millenials are?
bluefeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2017, 1:08 AM   #18
Established Member

Millenial=kids these days.

Way to say 'those gosh darn kids these days,' in a way that feels more up-to-date to the speaker.
LurkerXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2017, 2:33 AM   #19
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerXX View Post
Millenial=kids these days.
I don't think you are correct. There is generation Z that is even younger. So millennials are not "kids these days." If anything, what you said would be more accurately applied to Gen-Z, not millennials.
Old 18th July 2017, 8:22 AM   #20
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefeather View Post
Can someone explain what a millenial is, exactly? Because I have looked it up before and I still couldn't make anything specific out of it. I kind of understand what the characteristics are, but what is the age-range? There does not seem to be an exact number, or at least as far as I can tell. So if that is the case, how does one determine who millenials are?
I believe sociologists classify people born between 1979-1980 and 1999-2000 as millenials. There might be subgroups within that range.
Old 18th July 2017, 9:27 AM   #21
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFReyes View Post
I believe sociologists classify people born between 1979-1980 and 1999-2000 as millenials. There might be subgroups within that range.
Most of the date ranges I've seen start closer to 1982-ish. But that is the basic idea. A lot of people think millennials describes today's kids. But the youngest millennials are going to be finishing high school over the next year or so, and the oldest ones have already been in the workforce for over a decade.
GunslingerRoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2017, 9:47 AM   #22
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by preraph View Post
^ sometimes. But education isn't what it used to be. Lots of places these days give you the answers to the tests, basically, just to pass you.
Whose fault is that? Not millennials. They aren't the screw ups people make them out to be.

They didn't screw up education, they didn't screw up the environment and they had nothing to do with screwing up the economy by racking up massive amounts of debt either.
Old 18th July 2017, 10:08 AM   #23
Established Member

I have found thru employing a more than a few millennial's that it is hard to find out what motivates them besides their FB status and social media.

They do seem to think they have a right to have their phone at their desk and check/text all day long while on the clock.

We have let go of more than one for watching netflix instead working.

All I ask is you give me the 8 hrs I pay you for.. I don't care if a friend of yours is posting vacation pictures of their trip to Utah while you are at work, you shouldn't be looking at those instead of working/earning a living.

The motivation thing is what I find the hardest.. I haven't employed any yet that are money motivated and only a short few that are motivated by doing a good job and creating a name/reputation for themselves.
Most of them seem to be motivated by letting them check their FB all day...

When the phone/surfing/texting do get in the way of work I do ask them to put it down.
They also don't seem to understand that all that is nothing more than a distraction and isn't work even though they think it is.
Art_Critic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2017, 1:15 PM   #24
Established Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunslingerRoland View Post
Most of the date ranges I've seen start closer to 1982-ish.
This sounds clear as mud. I thought sociology was some kind of science. There is nothing concrete from either of these descriptions.
Old 19th July 2017, 8:13 AM   #25
Established Member

Quote:
This sounds clear as mud. I thought sociology was some kind of science. There is nothing concrete from either of these descriptions.
From Wikipedia: "Millennials (also known as Generation Y) are the demographic cohort following Generation X. There are no precise dates for when this cohort starts or ends. Demographers and researchers typically use the early 1980s as starting birth years and the mid-1990s to early 2000s as ending birth years."

Clear enough for me...
JFReyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2017, 10:39 AM   #26
Established Member

Quote:
Generations are never a perfectly defined thing. If they define a Generation Xer as up to 1979 and a millenial as after 1980, it's not going to mean that a person from from 1979 doesn't have way more in common with the person born the year after them than they do with the person born 15 years before them that happens to be in their definition of generation.
Old 19th July 2017, 1:49 PM   #27

As a millenial born in 1987 who doesn't love social media but doesn't have yuppie aspirations either, I am motivated by the below:

- Fairly distributed workload. I don't want to be the person who can't breathe for a whole workday. At the same time I don't like having nothing to do. I like to stay busy but I want to have time to think about what I'm doing.
- Good work-life balance. This is a BIG factor for me. That way I don't dread getting up in the morning and going to work. And I want a good lunch break, it makes such a big difference and refreshes the mind. After 7 hours of mental work my brain just turns to putty. I don't understand companies who have their employees work overtime consistently (there are always emergencies and I'm totally ok even with an allnighter, but otherwise it's not ok).
- Relaxing work environment and a good, fair culture of mutual respect. Being accepted as an individual with my strong and weak points. When the company recognises and uses my strong points to benefit.
- A clear plan of action for the year and a bonus scheme to reflect goals met
- Because I work with a computer a lot I would love to not sit on a desk all the time. I would love if the company provided us with a laptop and also had a lounge with armchairs and sofas where we would be able to work comfortably.
- Flexible working, meaning being able to work from home couple days a week. With current technology it's very easy to stay in touch with colleagues and it's also cheaper for the companies to rent a smaller space.

That's all I can think of now, I may come back later.

We are not as bad as we seem, really
JFReyes likes this.
don't talk to me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2017, 1:56 PM   #28
Established Member

Quote:
Demographers and researchers typically use the early 1980s as starting birth years..."
JFReyes, I have read that wikipedia article before in my research.

And this is what wikipedia says about generation-x:

Quote:
Generation X, or Gen X, is the demographic cohort following the baby boomers and preceding the Millennials. There are no precise dates for when Generation X starts or ends; demographers and researchers typically use starting birth years ranging from the early-to-mid 1960s and ending birth years ranging from the late 1970s to early 1980s.
So someone born in the early 1980s can be both a millennial and generation-x?

Quote:
Generations are never a perfectly defined thing. If they define a Generation Xer as up to 1979 and a millenial as after 1980, it's not going to mean that a person from from 1979 doesn't have way more in common with the person born the year after them than they do with the person born 15 years before them that happens to be in their definition of generation.
This is part of why a topic like this is confusing to me. But first, I have to know exactly what a millennial is, and the answers seem vague or seemingly contradictive. I guess everyone else is ok with this, but it seems silly to me to create words that aren't perfectly defined, especially in science.
Old 19th July 2017, 2:44 PM   #29
Established Member

Quote:
JFReyes, I have read that wikipedia article before in my research.

And this is what wikipedia says about generation-x:

So someone born in the early 1980s can be both a millennial and generation-x?

This is part of why a topic like this is confusing to me. But first, I have to know exactly what a millennial is, and the answers seem vague or seemingly contradictive. I guess everyone else is ok with this, but it seems silly to me to create words that aren't perfectly defined, especially in science.
I wouldn't call it a scientific term. You could technically draw the line wherever you want, but it's not the line that is important. There is going to be generation overlap, everyone within a generation is an individual. But you can still recognize some general trends. Also region is very important. Finding someone from say China that matches the same generation as you they aren't necessarily going to fit the traits. These are only things that'll really match if you grew up in America, Canada, Australia or western europe.

If you're trying to figure out if you are millenial or not here is the key thing. If you grew up and had access to the internet as a child or in your very early teens, but didn't grow up with a smart phone at those same ages then you are probably a millenial. You might say it's a poor distinguishing feature for a milennial but nothing defined the milennials like being the first generation to grow up with the internet.
Old 19th July 2017, 3:15 PM   #30
Established Member

Quote:
But you can still recognize some general trends. Also region is very important. Finding someone from say China that matches the same generation as you they aren't necessarily going to fit the traits. These are only things that'll really match if you grew up in America, Canada, Australia or western europe.
In my case, I live in Puerto Rico which has a latin culture even though it's part of the USA. I have to add that distinction to the answer I give to the question.
JFReyes is offline   Reply With Quote