Why would a co worker take his breaks and lunch in his car?

I've noticed that this co worker takes his breaks and lunch in his car. He never sits in the break room, doesn't really do small talk with the others. Is this odd?

Yes, it's odd, but I've had coworkers like that in the past. They don't want to socialize period. Many of them were also looking for new opportunities, ie trying to leave the company. So they don't care about maintaining good coworker relationships at their current workplace.

GorillaTheater

I don't know that it's that odd. Maybe he wants to listen to music. Maybe he wants to get out of the building for a while. Maybe he just doesn't like his co-workers.

It could be any one of a number of things, but I don't think it's necessarily "odd".

• Like 7

It's not really odd.

Sometimes you want a break from the people around you. I had a boss that would do this a lot. He was in such constant contact with people in the company, he needed that hour to decompress and sometimes people in the breakroom, just talk about work... and what good does that do?

• Like 3

I don't think it's odd to want to get away from coworkers for an hour each day, although sitting in a car in a parking lot might be a little strange. Sometimes one wants peace and quiet. I don't think it necessarily means they don't like their coworkers. Maybe he listens to an audio book, or makes private phone calls, or reads a book or magazine.

I like to take a long walk, even if it's raining. That's probably odd to some.

• Like 1

It's not odd, he gets some space away from the social (no one needs nor is expected to be friends with work colleagues - they are employed to do a job)are and away from his desk.

The main thing is that he gets breaks - breaks are good for workers. :)

I love a good walk in the rain (or preferably the snow actually if I am really honest!! :)) same as Rester.

• Like 1

Extroverts are energized by being around others.

Introverts are drained by being around others.

This guy has had his morning fill of people and their chatter, and wants to be alone to recharge his batteries.

Nothing weird about it.

• Like 3

It's not odd or unusual at all to want to get out of the confines of the workplace for your lunch break. I used to do it sometimes and when I worked a place with lots of people, you'd always see a lot of them in their cars at lunch. They want to get out of the building, have a change of scene, make private phone calls, listen to music, enjoy the weather, and have private conversations out of earshot of the boss.

• Like 1

The only person I knew who did that was an alcoholic and he was swigging from a 'fruit juice' bottle during his lunch hour.

• Like 2

He could also be wondering why there is a person watching him eat and spend his lunch hour in his car.

• Like 13
purplesoccer34

I do this occasionally lol. I love my coworkers and I love the place I work at. In fact, I talk to them all like they're my best friends--that's how comfortable I am around them. But I am an introvert by nature, and sometimes I just need a break. I can listen to music in the car without using headphones, and that's a nice thing. Sometimes I would get into the car with the intention of driving around for a bit, but then realized I'm better off staying in the parking lot, because I'm going to go back inside soon anyway.

So no, I don't think it's odd. I don't think it means he's antisocial either. Most likely he just needs a short break. I'd say it's perfectly normal.

• Like 1

Some people simply don't care to associate with their co-workers unless their interaction is work related. Perhaps he had a bad experience where his personal life and work relations got tangled and he has chosen to remove himself from that ever happening again. It's hard to say why he'd rather not associate with his co-workers. To me, it would seem a bit odd, but I enjoy talking to people.

devilish innocent

I've heard of people who are uncomfortable eating in front of anybody. It could be that. He might also just be really shy. Or he could be avoiding somebody he doesn't want to see.

• Like 3
DrReplyInRhymes

Some people like to be in their car, some people like to just be outside to see,

and as other posters replied, theres a myriad of reasons it could be,

I think asking him would provide a more concrete answer than here,

It's simply impossible to provide that reason with confidence that's clear.

I'm an extrovert and there were many times I would lunch in my car for the peace and quiet.

I am also a reader and if I sat in a common area, there were many times people would want to talk to me when I just wanted to read my book. My car offered solitude for such a luxury as reading.

• Like 2
I don't know that it's that odd. Maybe he wants to listen to music. Maybe he wants to get out of the building for a while. Maybe he just doesn't like his co-workers.

It could be any one of a number of things, but I don't think it's necessarily "odd".

I don't think it is odd at all. I am actually this person. I leave the building and go to the other side of the complex where there are benches to sit at. When it's nice and warm out, I like to get some fresh air and have some peace and quiet. Of course I do have those coworkers who may think it is odd like you do. They think I am avoiding them, but really I just like to get out and get some fresh air. Some people aren't social butterflies and introverts usually recharge during quiet time. I remember in retail, it was quite common for people to eat in their cars to get away from being bothered by customers on your lunch hour and the break rooms were often gross.

I've done this from time to time. Especially if I drove somewhere to buy my lunch.

Sometimes the breakroom is really crowded and noisy and dirty/smelly. Sometimes I just wanna sit back in my seat and listen to my music.

I've seen a good number of other coworkers do it from time to time too. Nothing wrong with it.

• Like 1
  • Author

Well, I sometimes I go outside and sit on the benches on my lunchbreaks. I also, hate the break room because its a medium sized room-plus anyone can easily eavesdrop on people's conversation-even if I'm eating or reading, its hard not to listen to them talk or hear annoying laughter. Ugh.

• Like 1

So you answered your own question OP. It's not odd at all.

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
  • Like 1
  • Author
So you answered your own question OP. It's not odd at all.

I'm saying that it's not odd to go outside, walk, read, sit on benches during breaks. DUH. What I thought was weird was that he sits in his car that was my question.

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
Name calling redacted
GorillaTheater
To get away from all the annoying jerks he works with, obviously. :p

At least one of them doesn't seem very pleasant to be around.

• Like 1

I do this all of the time at my job. I work overnights and so I get a lot of annoying customers and employees to deal with there while I am working.

So when I do finally go on my breaks or on my lunch break, I leave the store and go sit at a bench next to another store in the same shopping center.

Best idea I ever had so far to keep people from bothering me. Since all of the other stores are closed, it is quiet, far out of anyone's earshot and I never get interrupted. It even has cover overhead so the bench rarely get wet, even if it is raining outside.

Simply put, outside of my friends and when I have to speak for work-related issues, I simply have no desire to communicate with anyone else. Doing this is just another way to express that thought. It is a shame no one else in my workplace understands that. They just notice I am not there, can't seem to find me, and just continue their own business until I re-appear.

• Like 1

Well, that could've gone better. Expect responses from the thread starter to be delayed for a brief period. Carry on!