LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

What length of skirt is appropriate?

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th April 2014, 4:57 PM   #1
Established Member

What length of skirt is appropriate?

I want to leave a good first impression at my new job and don't want to dress slutty. At my current work place, the dress code is pretty relaxed and pretty much anything goes. I often wore really short skirts, black leggings and boots....

There is no dress code at my new work place, but I still want to make more of an effort. Should a skirt be at least up to the knee level? If it helps, it's a large research institute so not a university and I won't be doing any teaching, just 100% research.
Old 6th April 2014, 5:05 PM   #2
Established Member

Keep wearing what you are wearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
I want to leave a good first impression at my new job and don't want to dress slutty. At my current work place, the dress code is pretty relaxed and pretty much anything goes. I often wore really short skirts, black leggings and boots....

There is no dress code at my new work place, but I still want to make more of an effort. Should a skirt be at least up to the knee level? If it helps, it's a large research institute so not a university and I won't be doing any teaching, just 100% research.
Old 6th April 2014, 5:10 PM   #3
Established Member

Wear something more conservative the first day, check out what other ladies are wearing and then wear something similar following. However, if all of those women are years older than you, that might not work unless you have sensible orthopedic shoes and church dresses. A short skirt with hose and heels might be a bit much but with leggings and boots would seem pretty tame to me in the workplace.
Congrats on your new job, so glad you got it. Is this the one from the conference call interview?
G
Grumpybutfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2014, 5:15 PM   #4
Established Member

Journal Entries: 39
Depends on one's height and build but it's hard to go wrong with a classic pencil skirt

Generally, taller and slimmer allows longer, meaning below knee. I wouldn't go too far above the knee in a mixed company professional situation but obviously people do that.
carhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2014, 5:55 PM   #5
Established Member

With leggings, above the knee skirts should be fine.

You're tall like me. Do you have a trouble finding knee length skirts that look good? Most of the ones that hit my knee look odd and frumpy, so I buy them short and wear leggings and boots to work.

Congrats on the new job!
iris219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2014, 6:18 PM   #6
Established Member

I agree with Grumpy, dress conservative/professionally the first day and feel things out. Def do NOT wear a short skirt or leggings or high boots on your first day--to me that is a bar outfit, never a work outfit. I'd probably go with black pants & a cute top. That way if people are dressed really nicely, you'll fit in, and if people are dressed in jeans you won't stand out as toooooo over-dressed.
veggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2014, 6:47 PM   #7
Established Member

You need to wear a dark suit with a skirt no shorter than your knee. 1/2 to 1 inch higher maybe but no shorter.

Medium height hells, a solid color blouse & simple jewelry will be perfect.
darkmoon likes this.
d0nnivain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2014, 6:52 PM   #8
Established Member

Pencil skirt at the knee!
Old 6th April 2014, 9:48 PM   #9
Established Member

I agree that knee length is best.
pink_sugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2014, 1:42 AM   #10
Established Member

Journal Entries: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post

I know what length I'd prefer.
Emilia likes this.
Old 7th April 2014, 1:44 AM   #11
Established Member

I've seen profs wearing skirts a little bit above the knee - not too short, but just a couple inches above. Looks fine and professional to me.

Probably best to play it safe the first few days and see how everyone else dresses.
Chocolat likes this.
Old 7th April 2014, 11:59 AM   #12
ASG

You can't go wrong with black trousers and a top!

I've never had an issue wearing short skirts at work. Flip flops and shorts were a common occurrence during the summer at one of my old jobs, so a short skirt was nothing that would cause heads to turn.

Personally I cannot abide knee length skirts of pencil skirts, but that has more to do with my build (short and with big thighs). However, a skirts above the knee can still be very appropriate. I mean... Above the knee does not have to mean SHORT. It can still be fairly conservative, if that's the look you're going for.
ASG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2014, 12:17 PM   #13
Established Member

Any outfit that detracts from your professional abilities and puts the focus on your physical attributes IMO is not appropriate. Your goal is to portray yourself as a very capable employee and not as someone who is simply attractive (which if I remember correctly, you are quite attractive).

Unfortunately, many employees (and not just women) do not realize that their clothes are part of their presentation of skills.

As was said, dress conservatively for a few days until you determine what the "norm" is. Then dress so as to fit in while still being yourself.
Old 8th April 2014, 1:31 AM   #14
Established Member

I wouldn't go with anything revealing on your first day, lol. If you're a tall, leggy hottie- that will set you off on the wrong foot with all of the females in your department.

If there is no dress code, can you wear jeans? If you can, you can opt for skinny jeans and ankle booties paired with a tee-shirt, blazer and a funky necklace. Skinny jeans can show off your legs without looking like you're flaunting anything.

Depends on the work environment. Jeans are pretty accepted now if your workplace is semi-casual. I can wear jeans at work- as long as they aren't ripped or frayed. If you're walking into a casual environment- you might look out of place wearing dress pants or even a skirt, regardless of the length. What exactly is the environment you're stepping into?

Congrats on the new job btw
Radu likes this.
Old 8th April 2014, 4:36 AM   #15
Established Member

Another one for going conservative initially until you sus out the environment. I do wear short skirts to work but we have all known each other here for years and it's a very relaxed environment. It's not how I would start off somewhere new.
Emilia is offline   Reply With Quote