LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Unprofessional interviewer

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th February 2014, 2:16 PM   #1
Established Member

Unprofessional interviewer

Anyone have some stories to share about unprofessional interviewers?

Man, I just had one today and the guy started off with "So what's up? Tell me about you."

The whole time he talked to me like he was having a beer with a friend and was rather presumptuous when I told him the name
Of someone I worked for had the same last name. He was just like "Your dad?" Not "are you related?" And then he was all like "Well I'm not sure whether that's a gig or not".

Man, I should have seriously hung up on the guy. I wonder if he operates business in his garage.
pink_sugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2014, 2:37 PM   #2
Established Member

No, but I can tell you one time when I came off as unprofessional.

I had this young girl in for an interview who was barely 18. As usual, one of my questions was..."So what would you change if you could about yourself?"

The question applies to work abilities...or so I thought.

She said, "I wish I had bigger boobs."

Oh boy. So I quickly had to explain what I meant before this went way out of hand! Truthfully, she was just being open and honest and did not mean anything by it.

I never asked that question again without thinking of her...or before explaining what I meant by it.

BTW, she was hired (unrelated to that question) and became an excellent worker who is now a manager at that company.
Old 26th February 2014, 9:29 AM   #3

I once had an interviewer show me his teeth - as in opening his mouth and pointing to one of his back teeth (rather than just baring his teeth in a fake smile). He wanted to point out a filling my dad had given him. I didn't get the job.

Another time when I was very young and before I got my act together to go to university, I went for a job that involved trying to sell a well known brand of tights to supermarkets. The interviewer told me "some of these supermarket managers are yobs and they'll just tell you to **** off. How would you deal with that?" I said "Well, if they were that rude to me I would put in a complaint. I don't think supermarkets would want their staff talking to anybody like that." He roared with laughter and said "Great saleswoman you'd make, going around making complaints about potential clients just because you can't cope with a bit of blunt talking. Never mind...you're a pretty blonde with nicely polished shoes. You'll get a job easily enough, just not this one."

Aristoc tights. Never bought a pair since, never will.
Taramere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2014, 10:28 AM   #4
Established Member

It was a long time ago - and I didn't get lucky with a 'phone interview'.

Had to dress all up all up in my suit - only to have to go over there and be cross examined by these two broads who were Completely enthralled with the workings of my divorce. Crazy women probably knew at the time they had no intention to hire me, but were just using me as their current entertainment. ha

Last edited by LoveShack.org Moderator; 26th February 2014 at 10:45 AM.. Reason: Removed business name
UpwardForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2014, 10:48 AM   #5
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM View Post

I had this young girl in for an interview who was barely 18. As usual, one of my questions was..."So what would you change if you could about yourself?"

Oh boy. So I quickly had to explain what I meant before this went way out of hand! Truthfully, she was just being open and honest and did not mean anything by it.

I never asked that question again without thinking of her...or before explaining what I meant by it.

BTW, she was hired (unrelated to that question) and became an excellent worker who is now a manager at that company.
Oh, if you two became friends and there wasn't any risk of stupid-ass sexual harassment laws, I would NEVER let her forget that! That would be a running gag for the ages!
Hornylildevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2014, 11:16 AM   #6
Established Member

Quote:

I would think interested applicants are there in hopes to draw from or project the best they have in filling the position - rather than be sidetracked.

Good for her in giving an honest answer to an off-track question.
UpwardForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2014, 11:19 AM   #7
Established Member

Some people are more casual then others.

I had an interview with a guy who had a naked centerfold as the backdrop behind his fish tank in his office. The minute I saw that I knew I didn't want to work there.

I have interviewed people who showed up dressed in jeans & sweats for a professional office job.

It takes all kinds.
d0nnivain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2014, 11:26 AM   #8
Established Member

1. One guy started questioning my religious beliefs.

2. Back when I worked a lot of short contract jobs (3 months, 6 months) I had an interviewer at a staffing agency complain about my job history of short contract jobs. I thought that was odd considering the job I was interviewing for was a short contract job...
ctxinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2014, 12:30 PM   #9
Unconfirmed Account

I once went to an interview and the interviewer forgot to even show up.
Phoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2014, 12:47 PM   #10
Established Member

Quote:

That is classic. Well at least she is honest. So fun, love it.

Working in finance, I have had some very interesting interviews, all with the interviewers leering at my legs, butt and chest. I actually did the whole, eyes up here, please ...and yes, my outfit was conservative.
I had a guy ask me if I wanted to go on a date afterwards, get a beer another time, or if I thought I would not be better off marrying rich( this was when I was eighteen and was applying for a prestigious internship) because women who looked like me didn't need to work for a living. Needless to say, the interviews were over, I reported them and the companies set up interviews with women. The man who told me I didn't need to work for a living ended up being transferred according to management...to Russia. I work in International Finance.
I did my first gig as an interviewer with my Executive Manager and I was apparently so rough on him he complained to the company I was unprofessional. I didn't say anything, not one word except no thank you, in the interview as I was just observing. My manager thought the guy was upset because I didn't want to give him my phone number right after. That was when I said no, thank you.
Men can be tedious.
OpheliaSong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2014, 1:33 PM   #11
Established Member

I used to do alot of interviewing. I also did alot of assuming. I assumed everyone thought like me. I assumed everyone lived like me. No, I didn't think I did, but when I asked questions, I assumed the person would take my question as I meant it. I had to learn that each person has a different perspective so my questions could only be asked after I understood better what it was.

The one I mentioned above....yes, we became as good of friends as a boss/worker could be. Yes, she was embarrassed at her misunderstanding. It was her age and oddly, her innocence. She was one of the hardest workers for her age I ever encountered and was good at dealing with people as she got older. Hence, her move into management and why she is still there more than twenty years later.

I could tell quite a few from an interviewer's POV. I have been told and guess it must be true...that I have an open, kind face which "invites" people to open up. Many times, I interviewed people for positions and some were temporary. It was amazing what all they would tell me without prompting.

True story. Not sure I would believe it if I didn't live it.

I was young and innocent. Late twenties. A lady in her thirties came into my office for a temp position and as I liked to get an idea of who they were before I placed them in a department, I asked her the typical questions and one usually is simply "So tell me about yourself." Another dumb question which I never used after this.

So I asked her and her response? "My husband is impotent."

Wait...did I hear right? Yep, she repeated it. Now what am I supposed to do about tha....never mind, I won't comment at all!

"Oh, that is tough." And asked one more quick question and moved her out to a department. How I controlled my laughter...I will never know.

Another thing I learned as an interviewer....controlling facial expressions. I doubt I did then.

Yes, she repeated her concern to others. To this day, I wonder what she expected me to do or say. Looking back as much older, I think she was in a bad place and either needed affection or was inviting a lawsuit. A couple of weeks later, an employee had a party at her place and this girl went. A guy there allegedly raped her....at least that is what her husband said to me when he came into my office. Yes, he was trying to blame our company for the incident. No, he never could. All I could think of was...are you still impotent? According to the story going around work, it was far from a rape and the woman probably told her husband that as "self-defense."

Sad thing is...I lost two employees over it. And about fifteen years later, I read of the husband's obit in the paper. Yes, he had a disease which causes impotence.

Yes, this all really happened. I have more and could probably write a book.

Truthfully, interviewing is a difficult job. Wording things correctly so that the person understands and doesn't misunderstand takes some skill and experience. And cutting off people who want to talk too much is hard as it is easy to offend.

So while I understand why interviewers come off as unprofessional and crass, some of them are simply assuming and learning. Others sadly, are taking advantage of their position and trying to score. Every guy in this position has had the opportunity...hence why so many sex harassment suits.
Khyla and NicoBlack like this.
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2014, 9:00 PM   #12
Established Member

Quote:
I was young and innocent. Late twenties. A lady in her thirties came into my office for a temp position and as I liked to get an idea of who they were before I placed them in a department, I asked her the typical questions and one usually is simply "So tell me about yourself." Another dumb question which I never used after this.

So I asked her and her response? "My husband is impotent."

Wait...did I hear right? Yep, she repeated it. Now what am I supposed to do about tha....never mind, I won't comment at all!

"Oh, that is tough." And asked one more quick question and moved her out to a department. How I controlled my laughter...I will never know.
This is definitely not 'hindsight is 20/20' according to what else you wrote, but i would not have hired her [after sitting on LS this long]; when you described it, i got the vibe of desperation, could mean affair in the office.

Is doing something like that [refusing to hire her after she disclosed that, but refusing to hire her for a different reason obviously] legal in the US ?
The map is not the territory.
Radu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2014, 11:10 PM   #13
Established Member

I remember one time an interviewer actually asked my husband how we pay our bills.
pink_sugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2014, 11:56 PM   #14
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radu View Post

Is doing something like that [refusing to hire her after she disclosed that, but refusing to hire her for a different reason obviously] legal in the US ?
She was a temp employee with only a limited assignment. Technically, she was not my employee. (The other one was.) I planned on letting her go within a short period of time so that there was no connection to the conversation. But the party beat me to it.
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2014, 12:27 AM   #15
Established Member

I once interviewed for a front desk position at one of those medical facial spa places. The woman interviewing me (the owner) point blank asked me if I was married because if so it wouldn't work out since she needed me to work long hours. She didn't want to deal with a husband showing up and complaining. Now I'm not married and I had no problem with the hours mentioned in the ad, but I finished the interview as quickly as possible and got out of there. That woman actually called to offer me the job a few days later! I never returned her call and she just kept calling for a couple of weeks lol. Seriously get a clue.

Another time I interviewed for a front desk position at an acupuncture clinic. The ad stated that weekend hours would be required. Ok no problem. So in the interview the woman (the owner) started off by asking me if I was religious because if so it wouldn't work since I'd have to work Sundays and she didn't want to have to be bothered by my wanting to go to church. Absolutely unbelievable right? If my religious needs were not going to allow me to work on Sundays then I wouldn't have applied for the position. You'd think she'd have stopped at just this question, but no. She continued pushing the religion issue for a good 15 minutes. For the record I consider myself spiritual, not religious and I love working Sundays. I didn't get the job and have avoided her clinic like the plague.