LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Do You Love Your Job?

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th November 2011, 5:10 PM   #46
Established Member

Journal Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokeyReligions View Post
tmann - I work for engineering companies too - they are all the same the way you describe yours.
Good Lord!
So, you think it's the field?
cerridwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2011, 5:36 PM   #47
Established Member

I used to love my sales job when it was lucrative and I was making good money... Once the economy changed...sales equated to lay offs... I took a temp job at a University... They took me on as an employee....and I love it.. No pressure. Great benefits, weekends off... I am very grateful to still be in this position as they just laid off my partner who had the same job as me... She was much younger more educated more experience....perhaps loving your job shows attitude,loyalty and a positive attitude towards me still having a job I love...Be grateful you have a job.....I have been without...and you do need to appreciate what you have income wise to live...
Surfer Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2011, 5:43 PM   #48
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokeyReligions View Post
It sounds like you are young enough to make some changes - start looking and interviewing NOW while you are still working. Stop thinking about the bad situations at your job and think "If I could do something different to have avoided ______________ situation, what would it have been?" You will take that new knowledge with you to a new position and be better able to accept and/or handle it.

Good Luck to you
You're right. Dwelling on the things that suck without doing something about it would make me a common bellyaching whiner. I believe that everyone is responsible for their own happiness and fulfillment, so it's my responsibility to change my situation if it's not working out. One the same note, I don't want to throw in the towel without seeing how a change of pace within the same company affects my outlook. They've been giving me more and more responsibilities in the way of project management lately, so I'm still optimistic that things could change. They also offered to send me through flight school, which has been a dream of mine since childhood.

Contrary to my original posts (I was pretty fired up haha ), there are some good things going at my company. That's not to say other companies wouldn't offer similar or better opportunities, but I'm hesitant to write everything off completely before seeing what's on the other side of the mountain, so to speak.

Sorry to hear that your situation has deteriorated... Hope that you're able to make the best of your situation. The thing I have to keep reminding myself of is that there's a great big world out there beyond my desk. Even if you're not in a prime spot to start over completely, you can still improve your situation, even if it's subtle.

My uncle worked as a commercial contractor for most of his career. A few years ago, he got fed up with all the stress, BS, industry, etc., liquidated most of his assets, and bought a sailboat. He's spent a couple of years sailing around the Caribbean, and has a whole new outlook on life. I think there's a tendency to let our routines and careers jade us into forgetting the "outside" world. My uncle sacrificed most of what he had (in material wealth), but from what I can see, it was a transaction that he came out on the winning end.

Thanks for your post and kind regards.

To the rest of you, thanks for your continuing input!
tman666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2011, 5:47 PM   #49
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer Girl View Post
and you do need to appreciate what you have income wise to live...
While I think that there's a tendency amongst the public to perceive that engineers make a lot of money, I think that the reality is overblown to various degrees...

That being said, I am very grateful that I can support myself and gain experience in my field simultaneously. I realize that I'm very fortunate in that regard.
Old 20th November 2011, 4:49 PM   #50
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman666 View Post
It seems common for people to bitch about their jobs or be generally unhappy with work. I am no exception. However, whenever I do come across someone who proclaims that they "love their job and love life", I'm always a little intrigued, if not slightly envious.

My question to the peanut gallery: do you love your job? If so, why; as in, what are the specific factors that allow your happiness to flourish because of (or in spite of) your job?
I do love everything about my job. In fact, once I get going, I find it difficult to go home. I'm not making this up.

For several years early in my life I had a "better" job in the same field and got lots of approval for research and writing. However, I despised it. I could barely get out of bed to go to work in the end. It took me a long time to walk away from it because I had so much invested in it (i.e., worked myself through college and moved to a strange city on my own for the position). It was like leaving a bad relationship. My dad worked for an international corporation where he got lots of approval for administrating people (he was responsible for 3000 people & a big profit margin) but he hated it. He always wanted to design (engineer), not administrate. He's the one who encouraged me to leave my "better" job and go back to what I enjoyed, to hell with public perception. So I did. I'm very grateful to him.

I support others to support others in a professional capacity. I work closely with my people. I'm not stuck in a room researching and writing boring papers on dull topics I couldn't care less about anymore. When I don't show up for work for a couple hours, my people notice. I like that! It's never boring. I love going to work -- so much so, that people yell at me for working too much sometimes, including one boss.

I don't get my identity or self esteem from my job. I'm not changing lives. I see my job as a great way to make a nice yet undemanding living. It provides me with the foundation to explore things outside of work that are deeply meaningful to me.

Last edited by Breezy Trousers; 20th November 2011 at 8:47 PM..
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2011, 10:25 AM   #51
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezy Trousers View Post
I do love everything about my job. In fact, once I get going, I find it difficult to go home. I'm not making this up.

For several years early in my life I had a "better" job in the same field and got lots of approval for research and writing. However, I despised it. I could barely get out of bed to go to work in the end. It took me a long time to walk away from it because I had so much invested in it (i.e., worked myself through college and moved to a strange city on my own for the position). It was like leaving a bad relationship. My dad worked for an international corporation where he got lots of approval for administrating people (he was responsible for 3000 people & a big profit margin) but he hated it. He always wanted to design (engineer), not administrate. He's the one who encouraged me to leave my "better" job and go back to what I enjoyed, to hell with public perception. So I did. I'm very grateful to him.

I support others to support others in a professional capacity. I work closely with my people. I'm not stuck in a room researching and writing boring papers on dull topics I couldn't care less about anymore. When I don't show up for work for a couple hours, my people notice. I like that! It's never boring. I love going to work -- so much so, that people yell at me for working too much sometimes, including one boss.

I don't get my identity or self esteem from my job. I'm not changing lives. I see my job as a great way to make a nice yet undemanding living. It provides me with the foundation to explore things outside of work that are deeply meaningful to me.
Thanks for the post! I'm 100% with you in that the ability to live my life outside of work and explore other things is huge for me. While I'd love to have a job that resonates better with me, there's a lot to be said about having the means (both time and money-wise) to explore other passions.
Old 24th November 2011, 10:17 AM   #52

Discount Moncler Jackets

If you are a big fan of Moncler Jackets,then you will like these Discount Moncler Jacket for their high quality with reasonable price.This is the Women Moncler Down Jackets and Moncler Down Coats I like most and hope you will like them as well
jakison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 8:47 PM   #53
Established Member

I love my job. My company feels like home and my coworkers family. I could make more money somewhere else but I'm already making a decent living, I'm paid to study, i never work overtime, and I have the option of working 4 days a week.
eerie_reverie is offline   Reply With Quote