LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Profiling? Discrimination? What can I do?


Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th July 2011, 9:35 AM   #1
Established Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 5,917
Profiling? Discrimination? What can I do?

For the last few weeks I've been working part-time as a receptionist/personal recruiter in a small office for a large marketing firm. My 'boss' is a district manager (worked his way up from being a sales rep) and opened the office a couple of months ago.

Recently when I was working in his office, I noticed my application at the top of a pile of papers on the floor. I got a closer look and at the top it said "Arabian?"

I've befriended 3 of the other receptionists and last night we were out at a sports bar. One of them mentioned she had found a receptionist application and at the top the DM had written "Asian". Then I said, "WTF, really?!" and confided what I saw on my own application.

Another thing, too. One of the receptionists who was hired at the same time as me--she's white--was getting full-time hours from the beginning. I was hired part-time, though I had said on the application I was open to both. She was also first to get her own account on the corporate website to keep track of stats. I didn't get mine until more than a week later. All the white receptionists have been working pretty much full-time hours, and the non-whites were part-time like me, or they were only there for a day or two and either quit or were let go.

FTR, this guy is 22, and white, your typical all-American kid. I think he's arrogant from so many people telling him he's doing such a great job, having been promoted and having his own office and the power to hire and fire people, that he thinks he can get away with this sort of stuff right out in the open. There is absolutely no reasonable justification for writing someone's presumed race/ethnic background at the top of their application for employment. And leaving it out for others to see is stupid.

I want to bring him down a couple of levels, but I don't know if this is enough. And I don't know exactly what I should do. Should I gather the evidence and talk to him myself? I don't really care if my own job ends up on the line because of this. I do care if others' would be, though.
tigressA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2011, 9:41 AM   #2
Established Member
 
IfWishesWereHorses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Deep South
Posts: 3,187
Is it possible that he was trying to put a name with a face, after an interview?
__________________
Women are like cops. They can have all the evidence in the world but they still need a confession.
IfWishesWereHorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2011, 9:55 AM   #3
Established Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 5,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by IfWishesWereHorses View Post
Is it possible that he was trying to put a name with a face, after an interview?
I don't think that's a good excuse. There are plenty of other ways to put a name to a face without having to mention race. There's evidence of more than one instance of this. He should know better, but he's too full of himself not to.

The other day when I was there, one of the receptionists was talking to the DM near me about some people tending to be rude on the phone. I overheard her mention 'blacks' (she meant to keep it to a whisper) and then I heard him say, "And to be honest they don't really do as well here (as sales reps)." Also, when he was in the outer office doing interviews she told me the DM had come up to her and asked her if she was reading from the script. She said yeah and then the DM said, "Good, because tigressA is back there and I overheard her saying what-the-heck-ever..." I had been improvising a little bit.
tigressA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2011, 10:04 AM   #4
Established Member
 
Art_Critic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 29,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigressA View Post
I want to bring him down a couple of levels, but I don't know if this is enough. And I don't know exactly what I should do. Should I gather the evidence and talk to him myself? I don't really care if my own job ends up on the line because of this. I do care if others' would be, though.
Your job will be on the line.

Why do you want to bring someone down a few levels that is over your head ?
Didn't you just start working there ?
Honestly is seems a bit like trouble making to me and those types of people get labeled and whisked away pretty quickly.

However...

If you have been discriminated against then you are right to take action.
Can you tell me where the discrimination happened and what didn't transpire becuase of it ?

I see what he did as rather tasteless and downright rude but to me (I'm not a lawyer however) I see going forward as a mistake since you did get the job.

An employer cannot discriminate based on Race.. but just because he wrote it down doesn't mean he did discriminate based on race.. that might be no different than him actually seeing your face IRL and saying to himself "Asian".

Does he treat you differently becuase of your race and do you think he is racist ?
__________________
~~ One day someone will walk into your life and make you see why it never worked out with anyone else.. ~~
Art_Critic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2011, 10:05 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 26,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by IfWishesWereHorses View Post
Is it possible that he was trying to put a name with a face, after an interview?
That's exactly what I was thinking. There's no other reason to write down someone's race on an application after you've met/interview them other than to keep them straight.

I wrote "tall guy" on one resume, and "crazy curly hair" on another. If I had race to differentiate between all the applicants (unfortunately, I didn't - odd) I would have put that.
Star Gazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2011, 10:11 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 26,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigressA View Post
I don't think that's a good excuse. There are plenty of other ways to put a name to a face without having to mention race. There's evidence of more than one instance of this. He should know better, but he's too full of himself not to.

The other day when I was there, one of the receptionists was talking to the DM near me about some people tending to be rude on the phone. I overheard her mention 'blacks' (she meant to keep it to a whisper) and then I heard him say, "And to be honest they don't really do as well here (as sales reps)." Also, when he was in the outer office doing interviews she told me the DM had come up to her and asked her if she was reading from the script. She said yeah and then the DM said, "Good, because tigressA is back there and I overheard her saying what-the-heck-ever..." I had been improvising a little bit.
What business/industry are you in? It sounds to me like he was speaking factually. I know that one of my BFFs, who's in the financial services industry as a recruiter/manager, has a hard time even finding blacks who want to work for the company, because, in her observation, they honestly don't do as well because people on the outside of the company (customers/clients) are less persuaded to invest with them than a nerdy white guy. She's not racist, she's not discriminating, she's just looking at numbers.

As for you not following the script, you failing to follow instructions and him picking up on that by asking someone else if they were following the script has nothing to do with your race. You were going off script, and he wants you on-script, period.

Did he hire you, or participate in the hiring process?
Star Gazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2011, 10:21 AM   #7
Established Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 5,917
Yes, he did hire me. It's a marketing firm with offices across the country, and they market one specific line of products. Sales reps are hired to sell the product line. Receptionists act as recruiters as well, calling recommended people from lists of current sales reps to come in for interviews.

He wasn't 'looking at the numbers' when he made that comment. The other receptionist had mentioned how more black people 'sounded rude' on the phone, and that was when he made that comment. That's not 'looking at the numbers'. That's insinuating blacks are more likely to have poor attitudes about the work.
tigressA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2011, 1:51 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 26,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigressA View Post
Yes, he did hire me.
From a legal standpoint, it's very hard to establish race discrimination by the very same person who hired you.

As for how you talk, you've admitted that you went off script, and his question was whether you went off script, not that you sounded rude. And it was the other receptionist that said blacks sound rude. Not your boss.
Star Gazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2011, 2:06 PM   #9
Established Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 5,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Gazer View Post
From a legal standpoint, it's very hard to establish race discrimination by the very same person who hired you.

As for how you talk, you've admitted that you went off script, and his question was whether you went off script, not that you sounded rude. And it was the other receptionist that said blacks sound rude. Not your boss.
Well, yeah, but in response to that comment he said that they (as in the black sales reps--those who have been hired) tend to not do so well there anyway. The way he said it was NOT in any way just 'looking at the numbers' like you suggested. I bet he didn't even think of saying that sort of thing in my presence because he thinks I'm "Arabian".

This is the whole story: The one receptionist and I were talking about some people who were really rude on the phone when the DM came up and entered the conversation. That was when the receptionist lowered her voice and said to the DM that some 'black people' tend to be more likely to be rude on the phone when called. The DM said that honestly, they don't tend to do so well here either. It makes no sense for him to be 'looking at the numbers' like you suggested when making that comment, as it was in response to black people being rude. He insinuated that blacks tend to have poorer attitudes toward working there and therefore that's why they don't do well.

I don't resent him for criticizing my work, but he just comes off so...smarmy. It's a feeling in my gut. And there's a strong possibility that he is at least somewhat racist. He'll hire minorities like me, but in the end gives them short shrift in comparison to the whites. I really wonder if I would've gotten the job if I said I was only available full-time on the application.

Last edited by tigressA; 14th July 2011 at 2:11 PM..
tigressA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2011, 2:36 PM   #10
Established Member
 
pureinheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In a very good place!
Posts: 14,029
Hey T,

My advice would be to shine it on gf...I did what I'm about to tell you more times than I care to think of...

Keep your focus on your job, nothing more, nothing less. There is injustice everywhere. Learn everything you can and stay focused. If you allow yourself to get caught up in this, that and the other thing, then you will loose out on much knowledge filling your mind with stuff that in the long run you may not have control over.

Good luck and walk in power, wisdom and knowledge!
__________________
Nothing is impossible for God...
pureinheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2011, 3:50 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: In God's grace
Posts: 9,704
While I am don't mind calling bosses or anyone on their racist behaviors, I don't think you have enough proof of anything. If you have just been hired. Wait it out, keep your eyes open and your mouth shut(don't tell anyone else what you know until you know enough). I believe what you say is true in a lot of places, especially in certain areas.

I respect the fact you are willing to fight for not just yourself but others. That says a lot about where your heart and head are. But be safe until you have some more info.
bentnotbroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2011, 5:11 PM   #12
Established Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 5,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentnotbroken View Post
While I am don't mind calling bosses or anyone on their racist behaviors, I don't think you have enough proof of anything. If you have just been hired. Wait it out, keep your eyes open and your mouth shut(don't tell anyone else what you know until you know enough). I believe what you say is true in a lot of places, especially in certain areas.

I respect the fact you are willing to fight for not just yourself but others. That says a lot about where your heart and head are. But be safe until you have some more info.
Thanks, BNB. I'll do that. I have only been there a few weeks. You're right about 'certain areas'--the area the office is in is very white-bread and upper-middle-class, on the outskirts of a city.

Like I said, I think he's really arrogant because he's had people talking him up so much, so as a result he thinks he can get away with these things. This past week, he was late to the office. I was waiting in the parking lot for 20 minutes and no one else was there. I called him twice, turned out his phone was dead. When he finally came it was clear he was hungover. He shortened our shift for the day, took off and didn't come back. And when he criticized my work yesterday, he first said it to someone other than me. If you have a problem with me, say it to ME first, not someone else first. Even the receptionist who the DM criticized me to was like "WTF, why bother telling me that, tell her that!"

This kid may be smart in some ways, but he has a lot to learn when it comes to being professional. I don't even really take him seriously because I'm 2-3 years older than he is. I don't think anyone else does, either. Thinking about it, I don't want to sue him or anything like that, really. I want to shove a slice or two of humble pie down his throat at least.
tigressA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2011, 6:44 PM   #13
Established Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 310
[QUOTE=Star Gazer;3512100] because, in her observation, they honestly don't do as well because people on the outside of the company (customers/clients) are less persuaded to invest with them than a nerdy white guy. She's not racist, she's not discriminating, she's just looking at numbers.
/QUOTE]

So therefore this friend of yours hires the white people over the black, because the numbers tell her they do better? That is discrimination, and "the numbers" aren't ever going to change if the black people are not hired in the first place.
green_tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 12:18 AM   #14
Established Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 5,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Day View Post
When I was younger, I used to be one of those mouthy and troublemaking types. After I lost too many jobs, I learned that even if I am right, it doesn't mean I have to say so. Bosses hate new people who draw attention to themselves, talk too much and challenge everything.

The receptionist and your boss have had certain experiences with black people, which has formed their opinions. Blacks may not do well at your job for many reasons, other than race. In my experience, black people tend to be more forthright about disliking a person.
Wow, nice assumption of me right there. Thanks.

And it's not MY job that blacks supposedly don't do well in, according to the DM--it's the sales rep position. I'm a receptionist.
tigressA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2011, 9:39 PM   #15
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7
Employees that are part of a minority are good for a company so I don't know why he'd be screening that way.

Now.. you said that on your application you put open to part and full time . Have you considered that race had nothing to do with your hours and that the other girl simply only wanted full time..?

Now, calling him a "typical all-American kid" that I find kind of discriminatory.. hehe

Or maybe you're right and he is hiring mainly Caucasian girls. I'd hang in there and accumulate proofs.
Alice74 is offline   Reply With Quote
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

 

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Profiling AC06 Coping 5 9th January 2011 11:18 PM
Age Discrimination? OpenBook Business and Professional Relationships 55 1st June 2009 2:15 PM
Superficial Profiling - Am I a Jerk? lonelysoulja General Relationship Discussion 0 12th January 2009 2:50 PM
Discrimination? princess75 Business and Professional Relationships 8 13th March 2008 5:54 AM

 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 1:37 AM.

Please note: The suggestions and advice offered on this web site are opinions only and are not to be used in the place of professional psychological counseling or medical advice. If you or someone close to you is currently in crisis or in an emergency situation, contact your local law enforcement agency or emergency number.


Copyright © 1997-2013 LoveShack.org. All Rights Reserved.