LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

should I quit? stick it out?

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th September 2008, 10:25 PM   #1
Established Member

should I quit? stick it out?

So...I got this job a year ago...from the get go I knew i was going to end up hating it because a. I always end up hating whatever job i do. B. it has absolutely nothing to do with my career.
In any case I took it because it was good money and it was meant to hold me up until I had to start my internship for my masters.

Now, I tried to do the best I could, but I still could care less about the job, specially when my coworkers seemed to pretty much ignore me and the job i do (im an admin assistant) unless ofcourse something is missing.
Well this has caused a few problems, Ive missed a few details and had my supervisor call me out earlier this year. I was also having personal problems but for the sake of the job I buckled down and tried to work hard.
All was well until may when I made another mistake and was sure I was going to get fired.
I started playing with ideas as to what to do if i did get fired and figured out a way where I could live while going to school and working part time.

I didnt get fired but ever since I figured out that I could live without that job has been hell for me. I hate the thought of going to work, I hate how snobbish some of my coworkers are, how im treated like their maid and not the secretary...I just hate it.

I also just started my masters and I asked them if I could work part time. My big boss said he didnt see a problem and that he would talk to my immediate boss. Well my immediate boss said no, despite me having a clear plan as to how it would all work. I then asked if I could take my lunch hour at the end of the day..aka not take lunch and leave an hour early, to make it to class. Once again, she said no, that instead she wanted me to come an hour earlier, when noone was in the office yet, take a lunch and then leave early.

I am very fed up with this job and want to leave asap. However, this would be the 4 job i leave in 2 years and I really dont want to continue with the trend....

Also, if i do leave I dont know when to do it and when to give notice. I was thinking on giving notice tomorrow that I would leave in october so that they could have time to find someone new and have me train her (which is what would happen anyway), but I dont have anything lined up. Im looking for something part time, and hopefully in my career. I already have a few interviews, but im having a hard time being able to go to them because I cant leave work...

This is messy...can anyone pleaaaseee help me figure out what to do???
4givrnt4gtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 11:03 PM   #2
Established Member

I'm in the same boat as you. I feel this way: life is too short to spend it being unhappy. I am an admin as well, and it's a thankless job. No one appreciates the secretary. We always get dumped on if something bad happens, but when things run smoothly we rarely get the credit.

I personally think you should leave, but do not under any circumstances give notice until you have something else lined up. They may call your bluff and tell you to leave now, and then you are screwed. I have seen it happen before. I would give 2 weeks notice, because that is fair. It really isn't your problem how to train the new person...it is their company and that's their problem. It would be nice if you can do that, but ultimately business is business and you have to do what's best for you.

I also don't like that your boss isn't supporting you in getting your master's. Education is very important, and that is your goal. That's a perfectly acceptable reason to want to move on.

I wish you good luck!
kchiapet95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 11:08 PM   #3
Established Member

BTW, for the interviews...do you have any sick time? If you do, now is the time to use it. You have a right to that time if you earned it. If you don't have any sick time, it's a much more slippery slope, but I would try to finagle something. Make the interview as early as possible in the morning, or on your lunch hour. If you run into problems where you'll be late, let your boss know and maybe you could work later to make up the time or something. Under no circumstances should you show your hand, so to speak. Don't let them know you're leaving! This is business, and clearly you don't have that kind of relationship with your employer where you are sad to leave them.
Old 4th September 2008, 11:35 PM   #4
Established Member

I hear you, Im afraid to leave without a job but at the same time I know that if i take time off to go to interviews im sure to get fired anyway. I had to take a 2 week leave to go to another country to take care of my mom so i used up all my sick and vacation time.
Honestly from the get go ive had this ugly fear of getting fired...not a very secured place i guess...

In any case, since i have started my master I got some financial aid that will help me get thru any job gap....though im still nervous to leave without something lined up..

I have an interview tomorrow....but i still have no idea how to go since its bassically halfway thru the workday....i tried to scheduled it later but was not possible...what should i do????

how irritating is this!!
4givrnt4gtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 11:52 PM   #5
Established Member

It's only messy because you've made it messy. I know you don't want to hear that but I'm a manager and a boss and I'll tell you how the real world sees this, and how it's going to affect you. First of all, when I see a resume come across my desk where a person has moved from one job to another in a short time (usually within 2 yrs), I don't even give their name a glance. That's how fast I will discard the resume.

Secondly, there is nothing wrong with your job - it's your attitude. Honey, I'm being very upfront here and I hope you will listen to me - because this is probably stuff your boss would like to say to you but never will. If you will personally make the decision to appreciate what you have instead of complaining about it, you will wake up with a better attitude and the whole atmosphere at your job will change.

By that I mean that you need to see what a gift your job is. It pays you money - that's a BIG deal when you have to work and not the heir to Bill Gates' fortune; you can still get your masters and support yourself. The people you work with are very tolerant of your uncaring attitude and mistakes. If you don't think your attitude comes across, then you're really kidding yourself. When I have employees who have crappy attitudes and try to hide it with a smile or pretending, I can see through that so fast it would frighten them. Your attitude is reflected in your persona whether you believe that or not.

Take a look around at the jobless people and ask them which side of the fence they'd choose to be on. Crappy job vs. unemployment. Hmm....tought choice. In your case, if you don't have something else lined up before you quit, you're taking a huge risk. So start calculating how you're going to make it by being either jobless or flipping burgers at MacDonalds because that's probably what it's going to come down to. Everytime you walk away from a job, have a good answer prepared as to why you're doing that because your next potential employer is going to ask you why you left. And if you even skirt around the issue of not liking the job, not liking the people, not liking your boss - your interview will have just died. I spend maybe 15 minutes with people who give answers like this in interviews. You're basically digging a grave for yourself and you need to put the brakes on now before the hole gets any deeper.

Also by getting annoyed with your boss for not letting you work the hours you want shows an extremely immature attitude. Now I know you're going to say that you don't let her see how annoyed you are about it - but I can save you the suspense and tell you that she knows it. There are so many things in your posting that are like big red flares shooting through the sky and you don't even see it. Please don't sabbotage your career like this. You are burning bridges.

Even if you hate a job with every fiber of your being, there is always something there that you can be appreciative of. Find it and cling to it. You're not there to make buddies or socialize - you're getting paid to do a function by a company that is in business to make a profit. And if they do that, they can continue to operate and pay employees like you.

As a sidenote, I think it's actually illegal to arrange work hours so that an employee doesn't take a lunch - so your boss is probably making a decision based on that. And if her boss is the one you spoke to and he was agreeable I'll tell you that he's a wimp, he knows better, and if you worked directly for him, he would've said no, too. But what he did was make you think he was agreeable, put the monkey on your boss's back so that she would have to say no. What you don't know about are the conversations that go on between your boss and the guy you spoke to. It's very possible that he vetoed it before he ever said anything to her. So don't underestimate what happens behind closed doors. The majority of the time, you do not want to be the topic of conversation when the doors are shut. If I were your boss, I'd probably fire you for going over my head.

I would also add that your boss probably has her reasons for not wanting you to work part-time. My guess would be this - either she can't afford to have you gone that many hours, or she might've considered it if you were a better employee. I personally do not reward employees who I don't feel give 100% in a job. If I decide to keep them, which I usually don't, mediocre is all they ever give and that's all they'll ever get. Since you were hired to work the hours that you do, it's very unfair of you to become disgruntled with your boss simply because she won't accomodate you.

So now that I've said all of the above, this is what I would suggest to turn things around for you, and to actually surprise your boss - in a good way. Decide that while you're at this company, you're going to appreciate it and the people you work with every day. Decide that even though this wouldn't be your job of choice, there is always something to learn. And know that when you leave, you will leave not only on good terms but you'll also be proud of yourself for having turned things around and making the most of things.

Your mind-set affects all of this. Once you appreciate what you have, it will come across everything you do and people will see it and start to respond to it. They may not trust it at first but over time they'll see that you mean business. When you were hired on at that company, you went in with an agreement - that you would do a particular job in exchange for money. That's really what it's about. All the other stuff is just extra. So make the decision that you're there to make your boss look good, to support her and her team, to do what your were hired to do, and bring home all that money so that you can eat and live with a certain level of comfort. Be thankful for that. There is an end in sight to all of this - getting your masters and moving on. But what will this company say about you when the next company calls for a reference? That's what you need to think about because they're going to judge you on past performance. That's all they have to go by. And by not being a good employee - whether it's your job of choice or not - says a LOT about your character.

In case you didn't know this, lots of successful people did jobs they didn't like, and that they even hated. But most of them will tell you that they did it with a great attitude and it made things go so much better. Please do this for your boss, the people who work with you, the company, and for yourself. Good luck.

Last edited by Angel1111; 4th September 2008 at 11:56 PM..
Angel1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 12:02 AM   #6
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchiapet95 View Post
I'm in the same boat as you. I feel this way: life is too short to spend it being unhappy. I am an admin as well, and it's a thankless job. No one appreciates the secretary. We always get dumped on if something bad happens, but when things run smoothly we rarely get the credit.

I personally think you should leave, but do not under any circumstances give notice until you have something else lined up. They may call your bluff and tell you to leave now, and then you are screwed. I have seen it happen before. I would give 2 weeks notice, because that is fair. It really isn't your problem how to train the new person...it is their company and that's their problem. It would be nice if you can do that, but ultimately business is business and you have to do what's best for you.

I also don't like that your boss isn't supporting you in getting your master's. Education is very important, and that is your goal. That's a perfectly acceptable reason to want to move on.

I wish you good luck!
You're not really serious, are you??? Her boss didn't hire her in order to support her education.

You know, I started out as an Admin Asst and honestly I loved it and got all kinds of appreciation for the things I did. It's all about attitude. These comments here are really frightening to me to think that people actually think this way.
Old 5th September 2008, 12:08 AM   #7
Established Member

Quote:
BTW, for the interviews...do you have any sick time? If you do, now is the time to use it. You have a right to that time if you earned it. If you don't have any sick time, it's a much more slippery slope, but I would try to finagle something. Make the interview as early as possible in the morning, or on your lunch hour. If you run into problems where you'll be late, let your boss know and maybe you could work later to make up the time or something. Under no circumstances should you show your hand, so to speak. Don't let them know you're leaving! This is business, and clearly you don't have that kind of relationship with your employer where you are sad to leave them.
Your attitude about honesty and integrity toward an employer is truly troublesome. Why would someone have a right to use sick time? Unless it's tied into a person's vacation time, or that's the company's policy to use sick time in any way they choose, there are no 'rights' associated with sick time. The best way to handle this would be to let her boss know in advance that she has an appointment on a certain date, to ask if that will create any problems, and then let her know as to when she can be expected back in the office. Also, reminding her boss of the appointment again the day before would also be courteous.

The truth is, at the rate this person is going, she'll be lucky to have a job by the end of the week.
Old 5th September 2008, 12:54 AM   #8

Journal Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4givrnt4gtr View Post
This is messy...can anyone pleaaaseee help me figure out what to do???
I would not quit before you've lined up another job.

I understand your frustrations in balancing work and education.

What I suggest is to take a weekend vacation if you can to help clear out your mind. Continue to take the master's courses, even if it is 1 class at a time as a professional student. If you can apply for student loans and go full steam ahead in to completing your studies.
jerbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 1:24 AM   #9
Established Member

Your job sounds pretty miserable, but poverty sucks way more.
spookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 1:36 AM   #10

I'm curious... What career path do you intend to embark on once you've completed your Masters? I assume it will take at least 5 years to complete, if you are doing it part time.

Are you really only continuing your studies because you have no idea what you want to do in the real world?
Prodigal Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 6:54 AM   #11
Established Member

Quote:
You know, I started out as an Admin Asst and honestly I loved it and got all kinds of appreciation for the things I did.
Good for you! Aren't you lucky!

I can sympathize with the OP. I very rarely remember getting thanked for doing something well. But if something goes wrong or a mistake is made, I'm the first to hear about it. If it's my fault, I'm more than happy to own up, but if I'm not...well, I just grin and bear it, because I do need a job.

However, Angel, just because the OP needs a job and is afraid to lose one is no excuse to treat someone like crap. We all have our personal standards. If s/he's unhappy, they need to move on and start fresh. I'm entitled to my opinion.

And BTW, employees have a choice too. I personally would not want to work for you, just as certain as I'm sure you wouldn't want to hire me. The feeling is quite mutual, I assure you.

Is there honesty and integrity towards employees anymore? Not where I've worked. Especially among admins...the attitude is, you are very easily replaceable. Business is business. You yourself said it. If I had a boss with an attitude like you, I'd think, "Well, they're not looking out for my interests, I'm not looking out for theirs." Yes, I do my work...and then some! But if you think I'm going to toil for 2 plus years without trying to better myself by finishing school because I'm going to look out for YOUR best interests above my own(and by "your", I mean an employer), you've got another thing coming.

I agree, the OP should not leave a job without having another lined up. And if the OP had kids or something, I would say to suck it up and deal with it because s/he had others depending on you. But you've got your whole life ahead of you, to deal with BS. And this isn't even a job in your field? This is a crappy admin job? Follow your dreams.

I maintain what I've said, and I still think you should pursue your education.

Last edited by kchiapet95; 5th September 2008 at 6:57 AM..
Old 5th September 2008, 10:31 AM   #12
Established Member

Quote:
Good for you! Aren't you lucky!

I can sympathize with the OP. I very rarely remember getting thanked for doing something well. But if something goes wrong or a mistake is made, I'm the first to hear about it. If it's my fault, I'm more than happy to own up, but if I'm not...well, I just grin and bear it, because I do need a job.

However, Angel, just because the OP needs a job and is afraid to lose one is no excuse to treat someone like crap. We all have our personal standards. If s/he's unhappy, they need to move on and start fresh. I'm entitled to my opinion.

And BTW, employees have a choice too. I personally would not want to work for you, just as certain as I'm sure you wouldn't want to hire me. The feeling is quite mutual, I assure you.

Is there honesty and integrity towards employees anymore? Not where I've worked. Especially among admins...the attitude is, you are very easily replaceable. Business is business. You yourself said it. If I had a boss with an attitude like you, I'd think, "Well, they're not looking out for my interests, I'm not looking out for theirs." Yes, I do my work...and then some! But if you think I'm going to toil for 2 plus years without trying to better myself by finishing school because I'm going to look out for YOUR best interests above my own(and by "your", I mean an employer), you've got another thing coming.

I agree, the OP should not leave a job without having another lined up. And if the OP had kids or something, I would say to suck it up and deal with it because s/he had others depending on you. But you've got your whole life ahead of you, to deal with BS. And this isn't even a job in your field? This is a crappy admin job? Follow your dreams.

I maintain what I've said, and I still think you should pursue your education.
You may just be in a situation where you work with unappreciative people but based on what the OP is saying about her situation, it sounds like she's screwing up and has an attitude - that's what I was talking about. Whether she likes her job or not, she's making herself and everyone else miserable because of how she's coming across, whether she's aware of it or not. It sounds like they're being pretty tolerant of her, actually.

My biggest complaint is this sense of entitlement that so many people have - the EXPECTATION that the company should be concerned that mid-stream she decides to get her masters, and she gets pissed off when her employer doesn't want to change the terms that they hired her under.

It's not the company's fault that she accepted a job she doesn't like so it's totally unfair to blame them for her problems. If she has a degree, then I have no idea why she's not in a job that pertains to what she wants to do. OF COURSE everyone has options and they don't need to stay at a job that makes them miserable. I'm only saying that unless you're the lucky recipient of being the heir to millions of dollars and you don't HAVE to work, it's a much smarter choice to change your attitude about your job until you can get away from it, and let go of the blaming attitude. Most of the time when a person changes their attitude, things around them change. That's a fact.

The people who work for me are very happy because I don't micromanage them, I value them, defend them, don't ask or expect them to work long hours, and I trust them to do their jobs. As long as their jobs aren't suffering, they can talk and visit with one another or play on the internet for all I care. They take off for appointments whenever they want, if their kids are sick and they try to come in, I encourage them to stay home because their kids need them. But they also know I won't put up with attitudes of no accountability, a sense of entitlement, disrespect, going over my head, etc. There is a way to work within company policy and still be happy. If I don't uphold company policy, then I lose my job. If someone comes to work every day with a crappy attitude, you're right - they don't last long here. I have very high standards and I know how to have fun. There is a such thing as balance.
Old 5th September 2008, 11:07 AM   #13
Established Member

I get what you're saying Angel, and maybe you're right...but I must say, I can relate to her post about being treated like a maid and not a secretary. It's demoralizing. It definitely contributes to a crappy attitude. If you have any suggestions for keeping a good attitude while being crapped on, by all means, share them! Maybe you are a good boss, I don't know. I'll bet my boss thinks he is a good boss too. He's wrong. And the more you talk to him and try to explain it, he just doesn't get it.

For instance, our conference room is constantly a disaster. People leave their coffee stuff, don't put books back on the shelf, leave papers out...no matter how many signs I put up to CLEAN UP AFTER YOURSELF, it's always a mess...and I am the one who gets yelled at when it's not clean. And that's just ONE thing among many.

But, it's a living, right?

So I am going to college, and I guarantee you, if my boss told me, "No, I won't adjust your schedule for school," that would've been my last straw and I would've walked out for sure. I don't make enough for this s**t.
Old 5th September 2008, 11:31 AM   #14

I agree with much of what Angel said. And I saw the same crappy attitude and sense of entitlement..usually among the 20-something workers.

Having said that though, I was once an admin asst before I was a manager and I really can relate.

I mean just look at the other thread here about this.

Women complaining about having to say hello and goodbye to their assistant. And training their staff to not talk to them before they've had their coffee.

Despicable. Is that a way to treat another human being? Who cares if you're not awake or don't care to be civil?

For the life of me I can't understand the attitude of some bosses that their employees are less than human.

I NEVER treated my employees like that. I remember being treated that way and I never forgot it.

To the OP I say, take sick days and go on interviews or see if you can arrange them around your lunch hour or after work.

I do agree with Angel about your work record though. As a manager I never hired people who jumped around either.

Maybe you can stay there longer and just suck it up?
Touche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 11:35 AM   #15
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touche View Post
I agree with much of what Angel said. And I saw the same crappy attitude and sense of entitlement..usually among the 20-something workers.

Having said that though, I was once an admin asst before I was a manager and I really can relate.

I mean just look at the other thread here about this.

Women complaining about having to say hello and goodbye to their assistant. And training their staff to not talk to them before they've had their coffee.

Despicable. Is that a way to treat another human being? Who cares if you're not awake or don't care to be civil?

For the life of me I can't understand the attitude of some bosses that their employees are less than human.

I NEVER treated my employees like that. I remember being treated that way and I never forgot it.

To the OP I say, take sick days and go on interviews or see if you can arrange them around your lunch hour or after work.

I do agree with Angel about your work record though. As a manager I never hired people who jumped around either.

Maybe you can stay there longer and just suck it up?
I agree wholeheartedly with your post, Touche. That's basically what I am trying to say. There's a difference between having a sense of entitlement and being treated like dirt. It's the admin, not the maid. Not the scapegoat.