LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Spirituality & Religious Beliefs

Have u ever felt the Holy Spirit?

Spirituality & Religious Beliefs Contemplate your place and purpose in the universe.

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd November 2016, 5:44 AM   #16
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurelius99 View Post
Have you read the New Testament? I'm reading your post here and wondering where you're getting this info from.

What Jesus taught could not be any farther from this. He taught that nobody is good--not even one. He taught that living a "good" life is impossible. One must repent of their love for this world and rely completely on the assistance of the Holy Spirit in order to please God, otherwise it's impossible. He taught that believing your "good deeds" will save you is nothing but pride and that nothing but unmerited grace is what makes you right with God.
Hmm his teaching could not have been further from trying to be a good person and treat other people well ? Certainly not what I got from it - I guess we each have our own interpretations though so as long as it works for you and helps you then no issue. I'm not looking for saving. Just looking to do the best I can with this life. I don't claim to be perfect. I know I have many faults. But for me working on myself and placing energy into trying to do good and be a better person each day is more beneficial then eternally focusing on and apologizing for the mistakes I make.
Justanaverageguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2016, 6:24 AM   #17
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlucio1 View Post
I went to a church and all of a sudden ppl were acting weird shaking and falling down? They told me it was the Holy Spirit. Half of the people were feeling it. Has anyone ever encountered that before?
Ive never been to church never even as a child I was baptized catholic and that's about it. Ive never read the bible even so I dont know about shaking or such but I have seen things. I had major surgery this past year and while I was coming out of it I could swear I was seeing angels and what I thought to be demons and darkness things growing on walls that part of it was kinda horrid but I also remember light and a sense of calm it did leave a profound affect on me tho as in I am now more open to the idea of these higher powers. I dont know if it was just the affects of the drugs they had me on but I figure I could have hallucinated about flying fish or purple zebras but I didn't it was more spiritual of a experience..so I guess you can say I believe it can affect people in different ways yes..
Poe77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2016, 4:53 PM   #18
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanaverageguy View Post
Hmm his teaching could not have been further from trying to be a good person and treat other people well ? Certainly not what I got from it - I guess we each have our own interpretations though so as long as it works for you and helps you then no issue. I'm not looking for saving. Just looking to do the best I can with this life. I don't claim to be perfect. I know I have many faults. But for me working on myself and placing energy into trying to do good and be a better person each day is more beneficial then eternally focusing on and apologizing for the mistakes I make.
Treating people well is not jesus' primary message. It's not the gospel. Otherwise you get the "social Gospel". Judas the traitor, of all the disciples, professed the most interest in helping the poor and giving them money. This of course was a facade. His heart was truly greedy and wicked.

The point is that we are to deny ourselves, submit our will and ambitions to God. Until we do this, all of our good deeds are as "filthy rags". Trying to do good works on our own which originate from our own efforts is futile and ultimately do not serve gods purposes. God could turn every rock in the universe into bread to feed the poor if he wanted to right now. What God seeks is obedience and submission from us. He will do EVERYTHING. Jesus said, "apart from me you can do nothing".

From where does your charity and compassion originate? From yourself or from God? Pray for wisdom on this.
aurelius99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2016, 5:06 AM   #19
Established Member

Quote:
Treating people well is not jesus' primary message. It's not the gospel. Otherwise you get the "social Gospel". Judas the traitor, of all the disciples, professed the most interest in helping the poor and giving them money. This of course was a facade. His heart was truly greedy and wicked.

The point is that we are to deny ourselves, submit our will and ambitions to God. Until we do this, all of our good deeds are as "filthy rags". Trying to do good works on our own which originate from our own efforts is futile and ultimately do not serve gods purposes. God could turn every rock in the universe into bread to feed the poor if he wanted to right now. What God seeks is obedience and submission from us. He will do EVERYTHING. Jesus said, "apart from me you can do nothing".
It seems we have different interpretations which is fine and normal. If yours works for you and provides meaning and purpose to your actions - I think that's great. I simply have a different interpretation that works for me. My view is that god gave us agency, free will and the ability to act and make changes to our world. I see it possible for actions to be mutually beneficial rather then exclusively for greed and selfish reasons. I don't think a good deed is filthy as rags. I personally just tryto focus on the golden rule from the gospel to guide those actions.

Matthew 7:12 - Do to others what you want them to do to you. This is the meaning of the law of Moses and the teaching of the prophets.

Quote:
From where does your charity and compassion originate? From yourself or from God? Pray for wisdom on this.
I think we agree here - but having been given these gifts it is our job to then use them
Old 3rd November 2016, 1:43 PM   #20
Established Member

Quote:
It seems we have different interpretations which is fine and normal. If yours works for you and provides meaning and purpose to your actions - I think that's great. I simply have a different interpretation that works for me. My view is that god gave us agency, free will and the ability to act and make changes to our world. I see it possible for actions to be mutually beneficial rather then exclusively for greed and selfish reasons. I don't think a good deed is filthy as rags. I personally just tryto focus on the golden rule from the gospel to guide those actions.

Matthew 7:12 - Do to others what you want them to do to you. This is the meaning of the law of Moses and the teaching of the prophets.

I think we agree here - but having been given these gifts it is our job to then use them
Do you believe humans are born good, evil, or neutral? If none of these, please explain.
Old 4th November 2016, 3:41 AM   #21
Established Member

Quote:
Do you believe humans are born good, evil, or neutral? If none of these, please explain.
I think thats a little like asking what shape is a snow flake. No one size fits all unfortunately. I think humans are all a mix. No one is perfectly good - no one completely evil. We are all some different shade of grey and we change throughout our life time based on our experiences. The idea is hopefully to be changing ourselves in the right direction.
Old 4th November 2016, 9:17 AM   #22
Established Member

I think most humans however do really want\try to be good even if they aren't perfect. And so its important for us to recognize the interdependence between good and evil and how desire to see one self as good can sometimes lead to the other. Often in our own quests to be good - or at least make ourselves feel like we are good - we are drawn into simply opposing and classifying anything that is different from us or different from our beliefs as evil\wrong.

Why ? Because we only feel comfortable and secure in our own "goodness" by labeling, judging and attacking the evil outside us and showing how it is "different" and "wrong". We don't feel we are good unless we are fighting against evil. We need that point of difference to show why we are good\better. Essentially if you want to be a hero you need a villain to battle. St. George needed that evil dragon in order to be St. George. His heroic righteous identity requires it. And we all want to be the good hero so sadly we often spend more time seeking out evil then just simply doing good. Sad to say but, that is why we humans like wars. It makes the distinction between good (us) and evil (the bad guys over there) easy and allows us to feel good whilst we engage in bad acts.

This desire to be good - and re-assure ourselves that we are good - is strangely the source of most evil in the world. Racism, slavery, bigotry, homophobia, animal abuse, religious extremism etc all originated in this way. As people labeling something different from themselves - inferior, wrong or evil - so they could view themselves as being good\better. Its a weird relationship human's have with good and evil. Our strong desire to see ourselvesas "good" sometimes leads us to actually be the opposite. Understanding this part of human nature allows us to "balance" it better so we place our focus and action back in the right areas.

Last edited by Justanaverageguy; 4th November 2016 at 12:20 PM..
Old 4th November 2016, 4:32 PM   #23
Established Member

Quote:
I think thats a little like asking what shape is a snow flake. No one size fits all unfortunately. I think humans are all a mix. No one is perfectly good - no one completely evil. We are all some different shade of grey and we change throughout our life time based on our experiences. The idea is hopefully to be changing ourselves in the right direction.
Ok I completely understand why you'd think this way. It seems to make sense and it sounds right.

Now do you want to hear what the Word of God says through the prophets?
Old 21st November 2016, 5:42 AM   #24
Established Member

A lot of that shaking and laughing etc... can be mass hysteria or the Holy Spirit.

I went to a church that advocated for those " signs and wonders" every Sunday. Very often I felt very odd for not experiencing those things while everyone else was.

Later I found the pastor to be quite legalistic and controlling and I wonder in hindsight if it was in fact mass hysteria that people were experiencing.

Sometimes we need the Holy Spirit to help us lead us and discern what is authentic and real and what isn't.

I think of the Holy Spirit as a quiet friend that heals, helps and hears you and gives you the wisdom you need in all things.
Daisy-oliviaWentcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 1:37 PM   #25

Our mind can convince us that we feel a lot of things. It takes a lot of experience to realize that what you feel, love, hate, anger, resentment, other beings - are you. You can only feel your emotions. Illness can intensify and things can make them out of wack but logically I don't think you feel anything. If you go to church then you have the over whelming sense of joy. It has nothing to do with the service itself. Its you! we have a lot more control then we think we do.

For example, you can be in a relationship and feel the love but the love is within you and you feel it. Its not even the same feeling the other person feels. We lie to ourselves a lot so no. You can not feel the holy spirit.
Cheryl11111111111111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 1:44 PM   #26

Quote:
Ok I completely understand why you'd think this way. It seems to make sense and it sounds right.

Now do you want to hear what the Word of God says through the prophets?

I do. I want to hear it!
Cheryl11111111111111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2016, 8:43 PM   #27
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlucio1 View Post
I went to a church and all of a sudden ppl were acting weird shaking and falling down? They told me it was the Holy Spirit. Half of the people were feeling it. Has anyone ever encountered that before?
I grew up in churches that did these things. Some of it is fake (copying things that really happened in the past at the church), but some of it is very real. In my opinion, it is not usually the Holy Spirit but instead a manifestation of demons who are uncomfortable in the presence of God and the Holy Spirit. Since almost no one thinks they could be influenced by demons, they call it the Holy Spirit. The key difference I have found is a sense of peace and glorifying God. If it appears to bring disorder, strife, distraction, then it is demonic or the person seeking attention.

The Holy Spirit seeks to teach, comfort, and bring glory to God. Peace is the best way to describe His presence and what it feels like. It's indescribable but the best I can do is liken it to facing your worst fear right in front of you, yet you do not care or worry.
OpenBook likes this.
sagetalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2016, 12:08 AM   #28
Established Member

I've never felt that, but I've felt this:

Quote:
Helps people grow the Fruit of the Spirit: Galatians 5:22-23 "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law" (NIV)
And it was not easy. That's where the self-control comes in.
LargoLagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2016, 1:12 AM   #29
Established Member

Holy Rollers do that kind of stuff. They'll also speak in tongues but nobody ever knows what they are saying afterwards.

My understanding of the New Testament showed examples of people who spoke in tongues but only those who could translate.

I'm not a practicing Christian but coming upon the teachings of my youth I remember learning about how Satan (and his demons) could present themselves as "angels of light."

In many cases I'm sure these angels of light are aiding the uncontrollable epileptic seizures / mass hysteria manifested in some of these churches.
loverboy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2016, 2:41 PM   #30
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagetalk View Post
The Holy Spirit seeks to teach, comfort, and bring glory to God. Peace is the best way to describe His presence and what it feels like. It's indescribable but the best I can do is liken it to facing your worst fear right in front of you, yet you do not care or worry.
The Bible also says the Holy Spirit "tests" us. E.g. Luke 4:1

Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, left the Jordan and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness, where for forty days he was tempted by the devil. He ate nothing during those days, and at the end of them he was hungry.

Whilst it would be nice to believe that the spirit is just here to offer us comfort, peace and relieve our pain the truth is it is here to teach and improve us. It tests us to reveal and expose our weaknesses. It forces us to confront them and face the consequences if we don't fix them. From my experience it can be a very harsh teacher when we do not learn from our mistakes. The spirit is a big believer in the Carrot or the stick teaching method

Many seem to think if it's really the Holy Spirit it will be all sunshine, rainbows and lollipops - when in reality if it has really come to touch you then your likely about to go through one of the toughest testing periods of your life just like Jesus did. Typically this happens just around the age of 30 - your Saturn (Satan) return in astrology which is when the karma of your last 29 years returns to you and you are tested by the spirit on the lessons you were meant to learn. Many who experience this positively will describe it as being "born again" and have a very powerful spiritual experience at this time.

Last edited by Justanaverageguy; 24th December 2016 at 2:53 PM..