LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Self-Improvement and Personal Well-Being

How much alcohol is too much?

Self-Improvement and Personal Well-Being Start off with a great foundation! The place to ponder the journey towards improving yourself!

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th October 2017, 4:30 PM   #16
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthanSPK View Post
So, my question is - how much alcohol is too much?
when you can't remember your name you've had too much
Old 14th October 2017, 10:11 AM   #17
Established Member

Quote:
Hey there, lads and gals

After moving out from my father's house, I started to drink more than usual. Not too much, of course. It's been 8 months and the only time I almost pass out was around two months ago. Boy, that night I wasn't me, haha.

To be honest, I feel amazing after a few glasses of beer or wine. I'm the most outgoing and funny guy you'll ever meet, unless you catch me outside the pub looking for trouble (and after a lot more than a few glasses of beer).

But, not so long ago, a friend came to me and told me he got fired from his job for drinking too much and that he was depressed. Also, he was living with his lesbian friend because he had trouble with his parents. I was so worried about him after that, but since I'm not in town right now I wasn't able to help him...

So, my question is - how much alcohol is too much? You see, I'm not a heavy drinker but am afraid of becoming one, especially since I feel so good after drinking.

I'd say I'm smart enough not to become one, but... you know, it's not a matter of intelligence. Or is it?
If you are asking the question it may mean that you are drinking too much. Some of the smartest people I know have alcohol use disorders. As you said, it's not about intelligence. The most driven, dedicated people are often the ones with drinking issues.

Check out the book "This Naked Mind-Control Alcohol." I have been sober for 8 months and wish I'd found this book a long time ago. I think it will help answer all of the questions and misconceptions you have about drinking and how/why it makes you feel the way you do.

Good luck.

Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2017, 6:43 PM   #18
Established Member

Last night I threw away all the empty bottles I was collecting and the beer. I'm done, I'm tired of the shame and guilt.
EthanSPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2017, 12:37 PM   #19
Established Member

It's not really the amount that matters (barring truly ridiculous amounts). Different people metabolize differently. There isn't any difference in my SO's behaviour after a couple of drinks, but I notice mine being affected after more than one.

I think if you are drinking enough to significantly impact your behaviour and outlook (even if you think the impact is "positive") on a regular basis, you are getting into danger territory for an addiction.
Old 17th October 2017, 3:35 PM   #20
Established Member

I know you've gotten a lot of responses about drinking isn't about the amount but the affect on your life, but if you drink too much over time, you will die of liver failure regardless of whether you are getting drunk or not, or even if it has not negative impact on your life. Don't discount that fact.
Eight likes this.
GunslingerRoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2017, 3:39 PM   #21
Established Member

Quote:
Hey there, lads and gals

After moving out from my father's house, I started to drink more than usual. Not too much, of course. It's been 8 months and the only time I almost pass out was around two months ago. Boy, that night I wasn't me, haha.

To be honest, I feel amazing after a few glasses of beer or wine. I'm the most outgoing and funny guy you'll ever meet, unless you catch me outside the pub looking for trouble (and after a lot more than a few glasses of beer).

But, not so long ago, a friend came to me and told me he got fired from his job for drinking too much and that he was depressed. Also, he was living with his lesbian friend because he had trouble with his parents. I was so worried about him after that, but since I'm not in town right now I wasn't able to help him...

So, my question is - how much alcohol is too much? You see, I'm not a heavy drinker but am afraid of becoming one, especially since I feel so good after drinking.

I'd say I'm smart enough not to become one, but... you know, it's not a matter of intelligence. Or is it?
I think you're being too hard on yourself. I'd imagine if you just moved out of your dad's house, you're young. You've passed out from being drunk once in 8 months? That's not a lot for a young person, and it doesn't make you an alcoholic. I know true alcoholics that pass out weekly from drinking too much. I have a beer or two every night, because they're delicious! Seems to me you're more afraid of drinking too much than actual drinking too much.

Alcoholism is a dependency on liquor. If you're so conceded as to whether or not you have this, test yourself. I did years ago when I was staying in a backpacker party hostel in Australia, where drinking was a nightly routine. I went sober for a month; not a drop of liquor, and I still went out to the clubs with everyone. Never felt any desire or need to drink, it just made the club really boring (as if it isn't all the time).
KBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2017, 9:38 PM   #22
Established Member

Quote:
Last night I threw away all the empty bottles I was collecting and the beer. I'm done, I'm tired of the shame and guilt.
Good for you. One day at a time. It's not easy; but it's worth it. There's a light and a new you waiting now. Keep going. Give yourself a chance to see what your life can become without alcohol. It's a good, good thing to be able to be completely honest and be able to look in the mirror and like what you see.
Peace.
Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2017, 9:57 PM   #23

Quote:
Hey there, lads and gals

Let's put it this way you drink to your death or you drink to end up in the hospital with liver and kidney problems. Close friend was like you drink so much he lost his kidney.. Always in pain can't do much in life now. I would never turn to the bottle of sin after I had seen what happen to my late father.
coolheadal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2017, 10:27 AM   #24
Established Member

Alcohol is a complete waste of time and money. Haven't had a drink in well over 2 months and never going back. Have saved at least $500. Dropped 7 lbs and eat like a growing teenager. (I'm almost 50) Great sleep, no hangovers, sharp brain, feel like I have an edge on everyone. Nagging aches and pains go away. Fantastic workouts, More focus

Miss the taste of whisky. Don't need beer, wine, vodka, gin, bourbon.

Take pride in being able to have a conversation in social situations (confidence), that you can tackle your problems head on. Sure things will be a little more boring, but everything is better.

Best thing I've done in a long time.
Cali408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2017, 8:02 AM   #25
Established Member

When you have to make a thread about it ... prob too mucho
TheWoman and Eight like this.
Cookiesandough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2017, 10:21 AM   #26
Established Member

Journal Entries: 39
If a behavior inhibits the formation and/or maintenance of healthy interpersonal relationships, it bears scrutiny.

I won't take credit for that opinion; I first heard it from a psychologist in MC.

Having seen it firsthand, if alcohol kills you, I'm comfortable in stating that's too much. Beyond that, opinion varies widely.

Of note, Roger Clinton, Bill's half brother, is apparently still on the bottle and was pinched on a DUI in the last year in SoCal, and Trump's brother Fred who died, as a good friend of mine did, at a relatively young age, 43 in his case, of alcohol related issues.

Here's an article from Politico on what Donald shared about Fred and alcohol when talking about opioids in the news recently:

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/...coholic-244213

My rule of thumb for myself is if I can take it or leave it, I'm good. If friends are drinking and I don't feel like it or am the DD and I don't feel 'left out', I'm good. The bottle doesn't have me. However, unlike Trump, I do have beers with friends, a glass of wine with dinner once in awhile and a G&T on the plane sometimes. Too much got out of the way at a young age when puking into my pillow and mom saying nothing other than 'was it worth it?' Nope. First and last time. YMMV.
carhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2017, 11:48 AM   #27
Established Member

These are my own person rules on alcohol

Drink during a special occasion or no more than once a week. (I usually do less than once a week more like once a month. )
Do not drink enough to black out
Do not drink alone (if I am just gonna stay home and watch a movie for exam)
No drinking before noon.

I usually use it like a social buffer to an extent to this is what works for me
HiCrunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2017, 1:05 PM   #28
Established Member

alcohol isn't something you need to survive. so pretty much any is a waste. you're drinking away money, and giving up your health. not many benefits.
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote