LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Self-Improvement and Personal Well-Being

Deleted my Facebook a month ago and life has been awesome.

Self-Improvement and Personal Well-Being Start off with a great foundation! The place to ponder the journey towards improving yourself!

Like Tree54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd July 2017, 8:45 PM   #16
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaysngrace View Post
I think it's sad for people who are in the middle of something so great yet feel the need to check out while they post their experience to the world.

Looks to me like they must be having a blast
I always find that weird too. I can see taking a picture of some nice scenery or something and then posting it later. But it seems like, for so many people, their initial thought must be to get a pic for social media. And the people that post pics of their food constantly. What is up with that? My mind doesn't even go there when I am eating.

Save
BC1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2017, 8:54 PM   #17
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1980 View Post
I always find that weird too. I can see taking a picture of some nice scenery or something and then posting it later. But it seems like, for so many people, their initial thought must be to get a pic for social media. And the people that post pics of their food constantly. What is up with that? My mind doesn't even go there when I am eating.

Save
My sister and I are part of a group of 10 women who take a girls trip every year to a different city in the USA. The last one I was on (not everyone can make it every year) was a couple years ago and my sis was there, too. The amount of photos, including selfies, being taken and posted on social media was so over the top it was ruining the whole experience and, frankly, pissing my sister and me off lol! It felt like we were on a 5 day photo shoot, not a vacation. On our last night there, my usually mild mannered sis slammed her hand down on the dinner table (out at a restaurant) and yelled at everyone to put their phones in the center of the table, and the first one to grab their phone had to pay for all ten of us! It worked! Everyone was fine with it, learned a lesson, and we actually all got to talk to each other and enjoy the dinner instead of it just being posted on Facebook!!!

I have a couple of friends who post nearly every meal or every workout or every date/relationship problem on social media and it is incredibly annoying. I post nothing personal at all (5 years after my divorce I still had friends who had no clue I was divorced). I don't get the need to share every detail of your life with the world.
CautiouslyOptimistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2017, 6:44 AM   #18
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonelyplanetmoon View Post
OMG! That is it exactly! He left saying he was feeling disconnected and unhappy (bored etc). Our life was really good in many respects. He got to do whatever he wanted. But it never seemed enough.

Yes I am also thinking that this would be an early discussion point when I start dating someone. I'm definitely not interested in going through this again.

Copying your reply to my notes for future reference. Thank you!! You just made my day. Feel so much better to understand that it was not me.
Yesss boo, I'm glad I was able to help! Really this is one of those topics I could go on and on about, it just bugs me so much.
He was feeling disconnected and bored ... and looking at the BEST version of everyone else's life - or, don't even get me started, but the girls that are thirst trapping, making all these dudes think that there's something better to be had elsewhere ... is what makes him feel that way! It's not real life people, like hello!!

My ex was always only concerned with how our relationship looked to other people on FB, but not how it really was. I remember the day my diploma for my Bachelor's came, and he was being a jerk to me, and walked right past me into the bathroom, and was clearly in there on his phone .... and so I posted a picture of my diploma, got 40-some-odd comments, and he commented on it saying , "great job bae, so proud of you, love you, blah blah ...." YET HE WAS IN MY BATHROOM AND HAD NOT GIVEN A **** ABOUT MY DIPLOMA IN REAL LIFE!! But as long as FB thought everything was peachy.
meta.morphate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2017, 6:48 AM   #19
Established Member

And last New Year's Eve .... at the bar, there's a wide open dance floor, not to mention a cute DJ, and all these girls were dancing in one little corner, in front of their phones, snap chatting or FB living or whatever they were doing - but they weren't even in the room! They were completely on their phones, totally unaware of the environment they were in! Like you got all dressed up, looking cute, to go out, and only look at and interact with your phone!!

Last night at the fireworks, same thing. God forbid you don't get a picture of the fireworks .... nobody does anything just to do it anymore, it's all for show. No one cares that you're at the fireworks lol we're all here too. Just put your damn phone away and enjoy your life.
Old 7th July 2017, 10:51 PM   #20

I deleted my Facebook over two years ago. Life drastically improved for me when I severed the tie's of social media. It will for you to, so live it and make it a good one!
MercuryMorrison1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2017, 11:12 AM   #21
Established Member

I'm thinking of pulling the plug too. We make contact with the people who are important in our lives. I got rid of it during my current break-up and I think I will continue to just leave it off.
fieldoflavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2017, 3:16 AM   #22
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZayKayWill View Post
I don't miss it one bit. I leave for Japan in a couple weeks so I may give in then....but man life has been awesome not always wondering what other people are thinking all the time. O_o
I have a few accounts but my full real name account I had deleted that one 7 years ago.. It had to be done for a few reasons, to get my ex-wf and her wacko family off my butt. Plus my side was the family was huge as well. Not easy to delete as it is today.. But you have to break away from social media of course today everything is social media. Unless you hang out at the pub or bar to gather and speak to the locals of your area or town..
Age doesn't matter, but Love does matter! Which love it's the magical one "I love you" also I am in love with you" More powerful than anyone age! If you really love that person you are so interested in you would move heavens and mountains to reach them!'
coolheadal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2017, 9:09 PM   #23
Established Member

Irretrievable Password

Quote:
Originally Posted by meta.morphate View Post
I changed the password to something I don't know (a bunch of random letters/numbers) so there's no way I can ever get back into my FB ... that was back in like.. December/January, and I do not regret it at all.
Hats off to you, meta.morphate!

That's a great idea; don't know if I'd have the guts.
InvisiBlonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2017, 9:22 PM   #24
Established Member

Facebook Farewell

I think the original idea and purpose of FB was brilliant, and I think it's still great for certain types of things: Commercial endeavours; club or school meetings and events; or if you have the type of family who have tee shirts made up for your annual reunion!

I am very much an introvert and have never done well in crowds. I found myself as much a wallflower at the FB party as I do at parties IRL.

I deleted my account almost two years ago. So far not one of my "friends" has missed me.
InvisiBlonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2017, 5:24 AM   #25
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZayKayWill View Post
I don't miss it one bit. I leave for Japan in a couple weeks so I may give in then....but man life has been awesome not always wondering what other people are thinking all the time. O_o
I despise facebook and all it stands for. Am very close to deactivating it. Have a business page, which is useless (decided if i get nothing out of it after six months, i'd likely delete it. I reckon i'll deactivate within the next few weeks. So refreshing to see that people are choosing healthier lifestyles. Crapbook only wants ypur money, they're evil.
Soak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2017, 5:57 AM   #26
Established Member

Here's hoping OP doesn't mind my rant concerning FB. I'm fed up with it. Fed up with the constant drama, the fake way over-the-top sensationalized 'news', and people not stopping short of needing to communicate every single thing they do continuously. It's disturbing IMO.

One recent incident has completely opened my eyes to the harm people cause ... it's just not right, you know? Is FB pulling out every single crazy, or is the crazy just more apparent?
Old 25th July 2017, 6:18 AM   #27
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pureinheart View Post
Here's hoping OP doesn't mind my rant concerning FB. I'm fed up with it. Fed up with the constant drama, the fake way over-the-top sensationalized 'news', and people not stopping short of needing to communicate every single thing they do continuously. It's disturbing IMO.

One recent incident has completely opened my eyes to the harm people cause ... it's just not right, you know? Is FB pulling out every single crazy, or is the crazy just more apparent?
I honestly reckon SM is bad for people. Too many thinking they're special when in fact they're so opposite.

This thread makes me want to delete it now!
Old 25th July 2017, 6:29 AM   #28
Established Member

FB, LOL, 'nuff said!

Too many ads.

Too many selfies.

Poor little kids who will grow up with millions of embarrassing photos of themselves in cyber space they had no control as to whether they were put out there or not.

And, yet, I like seeing photos of folks from long ago I'd never see otherwise and keeping up with what friends are up to!
LivingWaterPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2017, 7:23 AM   #29
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiBlonde View Post
Hats off to you, meta.morphate!

That's a great idea; don't know if I'd have the guts.
I tried deactivating my page prior to that, but it didn't really last ... I also deleted the app from my phone, so I'd have to actually be sitting at a computer to use FB and couldn't receive any messages/notifications ... so it was small steps, but really, FB was consuming a lot of my time and was contributing to unhealthy feelings and obsessions in my life. Now, I hardly think of it. I just feel so much more satisfied and calm in my life.
Old 16th September 2017, 4:30 PM   #30
Established Member

I deactivated it about two-three weeks ago without any fanfare. Not one person has mentioned anything, or contacted me about it!

Recent pangs of lonliness have made me want to check in, but i don't think i will. Mark Zuckerberg from crapbook and Co. only want your money - you are nothing more than a target to them, it is completely dehumanising, yet the majority of people continue to decline their social skills and lose their dignity over it.

Last edited by Soak; 16th September 2017 at 4:32 PM..