LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Self-Improvement and Personal Well-Being

Deleted my Facebook a month ago and life has been awesome.

Self-Improvement and Personal Well-Being Start off with a great foundation! The place to ponder the journey towards improving yourself!

Like Tree54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st June 2017, 12:09 AM   #1
Established Member

Deleted my Facebook a month ago and life has been awesome.

I don't miss it one bit. I leave for Japan in a couple weeks so I may give in then....but man life has been awesome not always wondering what other people are thinking all the time. O_o
ZayKayWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2017, 9:59 PM   #2
Established Member

Good for you! I personally find facebook depressing because of the ridiculous things people post on it. I haven't deleted my fb page but I rarely go to it nowadays. I'm much happier for it. Then when I do go visit, it's more of the same crap. Sometimes, it's just best not to know what people are thinking. lol.
bathtub-row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2017, 5:43 AM   #3
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathtub-row View Post
Good for you! I personally find facebook depressing because of the ridiculous things people post on it. I haven't deleted my fb page but I rarely go to it nowadays. I'm much happier for it. Then when I do go visit, it's more of the same crap. Sometimes, it's just best not to know what people are thinking. lol.
Seriously. I always told myself that I would never be one to drop Facebok but I guess I was wrong :/. You can only handle so much ignorance.
ZayKayWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2017, 8:05 AM   #4
Established Member

have never had it and never will , the most ridiculous socially destructive intrusive thing ever invented l reckon. Can't believe people use it let the crap all over it into their lives, really can't.
got an account l errr, activate, now and then, just to keep an eye on my daughter and then l'm outa there. That's it.
Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2017, 9:22 PM   #5
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilli View Post
have never had it and never will , the most ridiculous socially destructive intrusive thing ever invented l reckon. Can't believe people use it let the crap all over it into their lives, really can't.
got an account l errr, activate, now and then, just to keep an eye on my daughter and then l'm outa there. That's it.
I think facebook has its uses but, as with most things, people find a way to use and abuse it. I like it for keeping loose contact with people I've known for years but am not super-close to, relatives I love and care about who don't live nearby, I like it for updates on friend's lives --- but I don't need a blow-by-blow of someone's daily life, and I don't need clever little sayings lecturing me on life or on their moral standing, don't need bible quotes, and I definitely don't need the "let me so who reads my post by sharing it" nonsense.
OpenBook and BC1980 like this.
bathtub-row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2017, 10:45 AM   #6
Established Member

I deactivate mine from time to time and notice a decrease in anxiety.
it is useful for some things but overall I find social media to be a bit overwhelming.
penelopeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2017, 11:11 AM   #7
Established Member

I go on and off facebook depending on the time I have; I use it to share big news with close friends who don't live locally as a round-robin type of thing, but I've not found using FB to affect my moods one way or the other.

You can control the type of audience you want to share info with or receive news from anyway, and you can accept or 'unfriend' anyone at a moment's notice so it doesn't have to be intrusive at all.
Shanex likes this.
littleblackheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2017, 11:12 AM   #8
Established Member

I can't do Facebook anymore for a number of reasons. I miss out on some gossip, but I'm rather content just asking my friends about the latest gossip. I don't seem to miss much.
Old 5th June 2017, 12:22 PM   #9
Established Member

Journal Entries: 3
I registered to FB in late 2008 when it was all the rage and MySpace was dying.

Had my times there, keeping in touch, parties, high-school reunion and eventually deleted without any prior announcement that I was done reading nonsense, people whining, attention seeking people and the ''funny'' memes.

It's been 4 years without FB and I'm free of many hassle. Would recommend.
Shanex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2017, 1:59 PM   #10
Established Member

I changed the password to something I don't know (a bunch of random letters/numbers) so there's no way I can ever get back into my FB ... that was back in like.. December/January, and I do not regret it at all. It's like taking a breath of fresh air. FB brought so much negativity to my life - or it allowed me to engage in negativity I should say. I was always creeping on the guy I deal with ... comparing myself to other females, particularly girls who are more active on FB than I could ever be ... and it was just so energy-draining. And easy to become obsessive with.

It's amazing how every single person I could ever want to be in contact with, I am still in contact with. Even people I primarily kept in contact with over FB, have reached out through text, or whatever - I don't feel like I am missing anyone or anything.

It's so nice to just only exist in one sphere, just the here and now. I have no idea what anyone in the world is doing who I haven't seen or talked to today, nor do I care.

It's the best thing I couldn't done for myself.

I hope we ever see the day when people go back to living in the moment and just existing where they are.
meta.morphate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2017, 8:38 PM   #11
Established Member

I am not on FB and have never been.
My recent ex was always on it.
I have been wondering if that contributed to the demise of our relationship.
lonelyplanetmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2017, 5:35 AM   #12
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonelyplanetmoon View Post
I am not on FB and have never been.
My recent ex was always on it.
I have been wondering if that contributed to the demise of our relationship.
Probably. One of my things that I want in a relationship, is someone who doesn't spend too much time on social media. All it is, is a distraction from real life, which distorts reality and makes you think you're missing out on things, that everything's better elsewhere, that everyone else has more or is living better ... on top of the fact that you can talk to all these people, who are all presenting the very best (if not an entirely artificial) version of themselves.
meta.morphate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2017, 6:58 AM   #13
Established Member

I think it's sad for people who are in the middle of something so great yet feel the need to check out while they post their experience to the world.

Looks to me like they must be having a blast
Old 3rd July 2017, 8:24 PM   #14
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meta.morphate View Post
Probably. One of my things that I want in a relationship, is someone who doesn't spend too much time on social media. All it is, is a distraction from real life, which distorts reality and makes you think you're missing out on things, that everything's better elsewhere, that everyone else has more or is living better ... on top of the fact that you can talk to all these people, who are all presenting the very best (if not an entirely artificial) version of themselves.
OMG! That is it exactly! He left saying he was feeling disconnected and unhappy (bored etc). Our life was really good in many respects. He got to do whatever he wanted. But it never seemed enough.

Yes I am also thinking that this would be an early discussion point when I start dating someone. I'm definitely not interested in going through this again.

Copying your reply to my notes for future reference. Thank you!! You just made my day. Feel so much better to understand that it was not me.
lonelyplanetmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2017, 8:33 PM   #15
Established Member

I have such mixed feelings about this. One the one hand, it's a great way to keep up with distant friends and extended family, and a way to easily get information out to the masses in the case of an adversity (as happened with my family this week). But, as a divorced mom not made of money, this time of year is a bit difficult when I see all of the posts about happy family vacations. And even extravagant ones I know I'll never take. Just in the last week three of my Facebook friends (none of whom are acquainted) have gone to Spain on vaca! Envy starts to rear its ugly head even though I know I'm very blessed. And a homebody .

It definitely takes up too much of my time and work productivity (as does this forum as of late) so I wish we could set lock-out times!
CautiouslyOptimistic is offline   Reply With Quote