Sorry if this topic isn't directly self improvement but I need help on a situation that is ultimately going to give me self improvement.

I'm a singer/songwriter. Actually no scrap that, I'm a sales assistant that wants to be a singer/songwriter haha, let's stay real here.

I have two jobs that I work and I've been saving money for the past 4/5 months. Now I nearly have about a grand saved but now I'm stuck with a dilemma.

I'm 19 and I can't drive but I also don't have a computer/camera/general recording equipment I feel I need to make good videos for say YouTube and Facebook. Social media is probably my main focus as I live in a small town that with any amount of gigs, wouldn't really progress anything.

I don't know whether to spend this money on learning to drive or getting new equipment? I get buses to work every day and that costs me about £50 a month and they're, for the most part, reliable.

I asked a friend not so long ago about this and he said that he wants me to think of driving as a reward almost after I put all my effort into music it should give me something in return and he's thinking I'd make the money back and get the reward/luxury of being able to drive and afford a car etc. Is this wise?

It's just a big risk I mean if I learnt to drive it's something to offer for new jobs and I'd have so much more freedom etc. I just don't know

Could you spend the money on equipment for live gigs?

What instrument do you play?

Gigs = experience + money

use some of your savings to pay your friend back for all the drinks he bought you.

Edited by Nowty V
  • Author

I sing and play guitar. I know it basically says I'm crap but I struggle getting live gigs here. I've played at two festivals and it was thanks to this one promoter and well after a good year of gigs he just stopped booking me. He also ignored any emails I sent him asking for more work so I don't really know what went on there. By getting a new computer I would be able to burn CD's for demos to hand out to venues

truthtripper
I sing and play guitar. I know it basically says I'm crap but I struggle getting live gigs here.

If you get compliments from people on your music, pursue it.

I think you should buy a car so you can drive out to places where there are more live gig opportunities.

I would say focus on buy musical equipment and whatever you need for social media. You dont need anything too fancy to upload to youtube or whatever. Social media is really saturated right now so while you make your own music, also try a few projects that have a unique spin on it, like maybe you do funny covers or something. I saw a video on youtube of a guy that does a cover of a song, but throughout the song he switches from one style to another, like no doubt for 10 seconds then led zeppelin the next and so on and so forth. It went viral and has been seen thousands if not millions of times. Obviously that is a huge goal and takes a certain amount of luck.. it takes time to build and audience and to be seen. But maybe try a few fun, quirky ideas that you genuinely find fun making. Maybe you do unique videos with your music?

Keep trying for gigs as that experience will help you but also focus your energy on building your craft and putting yourself out there. You dont need the most expensive equipment at this point, you will have to start small. and DONT STOP!! This is the #1 reason why people fail.

truthtripper

Forgot to say, busking is a great way to get discovered. Have you tried this? The best places are outside popular shops where there are lots of people around. If people like your music, you can earn more than you would expect, but of course you couldn't give up your other jobs. You may have to get a street performers permit but it really is worth it. You never know who might be walking past you ie-a producer, famous band member or other potential useful contacts working in the music industry.

• Author

Thank you guys! I've decided to put all my money into music and get a basic start on equipment. And yeah I've also been thinking about busking! I want to get a piece of wood and write my name and maybe soundcloud on it for people to look at while passing by if they like what they hear sorta thing. I've already got a huge portable speaker that I think would do the job as well. Thanks again to everyone for the advice.. it's just hard to see ahead and believe in what I do sorta thing