LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Self-Improvement and Personal Well-Being

Dieting challenge - 30d at least

Self-Improvement and Personal Well-Being Start off with a great foundation! The place to ponder the journey towards improving yourself!

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th January 2013, 5:31 AM   #1
Established Member

Dieting challenge - 30d at least

Just after the holidays it's damn depressing, when you notice that gut, fight to not notice that gut, finally decide to notice that gut, and weigh yourself to see how big that gut is.
Just weighed myself, standing at a lovely 130kg [286 pounds], where 100kg [220 pounds] is close to my ideal.
This is after dropping from 160kg [352 pounds] to 115kg [253 pounds] in a little over 1yr with small life changes [no dieting].

This time i decided to get back into dieting. I doubt i will break my record of 9yrs ago [35 pounds in one month], but i hope to get really close to it.

My diet will look something like this.
Morning :
8 AM - pills, 25min later the protein shake with milk

Afternoon [6hs later] :
2 PM - pills, 25min later the protein shake with milk

Evening [6hs later] :
8 PM - pills, 25min later dinner

When it comes to eating healthy stuff i still remember some principles :
- chicken meat [or any other meat with no fat] grilled
- do not combine animal proteins [say cheese and meat]
- limit the carbohydrates, but do not eliminate them [did that once, couldn't stand up in the morning]
- in between meals i can have quick snacks only if said snack is a fruit [like a banana or something like that]

I need to keep this diet for at least 30days to show some serious improvement [20-35 pounds lost], and probably another 1-2 months later for steady improvement to get to the targeted weight [knowing my body i could lose those 66 pounds in 3 months].
Right now i feel locked in by my present weight because :
- i can't really exercise at home
- i can't go to the gym [too embarassed by the beautifull ppl ... **** the beautifull ppl]
- i can't use my bike [bicicle] because my weight means any bumps in the road will slash the tires [even though i love riding bikes]
- i sleep too much, and when i sleep less than normal i become a zombi in a few days
- i don't dress in an attractive way; never did. In fact knowing how i dress, and considering my weight it is quite odd that i am such a charming bastard. I have often been told that if i dress better and lose some weight i would have way more success.
Still, i resisted a lot, mostly because of laziness and stubberness.
Right now, i couldn't dress in an attractive way even if i wanted because it would be prohibitively expensive.
The height and weight averages for my country are below those of the western world.
- i want to go back into swimming, and now there are many gyms in the city who have swimming pools [i had to go to a state owned competition one when i was 12].
Swimming was the only sport that helped me maintain myself without any other exercise and even helped me lose weight.
I am a bit embarassed to go to the gym looking the way i am looking right now.

In a way i know what awaits me ...
- first 3 days will be hell as i sometimes medicate with food [bulimic] and i kick my Pepsi addiction
- i'll start losing weight at the 6-7day mark, quite a lot too.
- if i give in to ... anything, i am scre*wed, because i will simply revert back to my old ways
- if i can hold it for 21d or more, i still must not put my guard down, but it will be much easier from then on

PS: I really want to get to the point where i can tuck my shirt in my pants and not look like a bowling pin.
The map is not the territory.
Radu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2013, 5:42 AM   #2
Established Member

You can do it!!

try no carbs after 4pm too. EARLY dinner.

Also pineapple is great fat metabolizer. Have a piece or a small amount of juice in water everyday.

Good luck!
Old 6th January 2013, 6:24 AM   #3
Established Member

Unfortunately, i have to keep that distance between meals ... as it's part of the diet itself.
I have kept the diet many times before, and i know it works quite well.
What was a problem, was my lack of motivation.

Picturing how my buns will look in speedo's once i lose the weight is a pretty good motivation though.
I do have quite a beautifull ass and legs.

---

Some other stuff i know i will need :
- vitamin C suplements [i want to avoid the cold and it is also used as fuel by the immune system to fight infections]
- lecitine [exam session coming up in 2 weeks]
- Chromium suplements [cuts the craving for sweets and starch; starch is metabolised as sugar in the human body]
- to place the remaining soda in the basement; i'm too lazy to go down there
Old 6th January 2013, 6:26 AM   #4
rys
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radu View Post
me, too
rys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2013, 6:35 AM   #5
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Million.to.1 View Post
You can do it!!

try no carbs after 4pm too. EARLY dinner.

Also pineapple is great fat metabolizer. Have a piece or a small amount of juice in water everyday.

Good luck!
I never tried that no-carbs after 4pm thing.
I could use oats in my morning shake for my carbs intake, as they take longer to get into the system ... insted of getting a huge rush early on. This followed by a dinner at 6pm with stuff easy to digest.

I actually love pineapple. I bought one once and just took slices off the top every so often.
I could use it for snacks in between meals.

PS: I also need to get some general multivitamin suplements.
Old 6th January 2013, 6:36 AM   #6
Established Member

Eating 6 small meals is not necessarily "the way"

Read up on Intermittent Fasting. There is plenty of research that supports that way of eating. Works for me.
Million.to.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2013, 6:42 AM   #7
Established Member

I actually did the whole 'small meals' thing and kept a journal to maintain a cap on my daily intake.
It turned out pretty ok for maintaining or even slowly losing weight.

However, i have a deadline.
6months to get into shape for the summer, feel good about myself, and see how it improves my relationship succes [not just romantic relationships].

Quote:
Originally Posted by rys View Post
me, too
We can do this !!!
I'll race you to the often seen picture with the oversize pants and the subsequent pictures that show off nice asses !

PS: The only diet i have done that worked better than this one on me, has been the Hopkins diet [i think it's called that], where i lost 13kg in just 3 weeks.
Old 6th January 2013, 6:45 AM   #8
rys
Established Member

Quote:
We can do this !!!
I'll race you to the often seen picture with the oversize pants and the subsequent pictures that show off nice asses !

PS: The only diet i have done that worked better than this one has been the Hopkins diet [i think it's called that], where i lost 13kg in just 3 weeks.

progress pics?

i might look into doing the GM diet first

GM Diet | General Motors Diet Plan, Reviews and Tips
Old 6th January 2013, 10:41 AM   #9
Established Member

Quote:
Unfortunately, i have to keep that distance between meals ... as it's part of the diet itself.
The fact that your weight is going up and down means this diet isn't working. A healthy diet doesn't require any extreme motivation or dedication. If you're struggling with your weight, you need to change how you eat. That's what 'diet' really means.

Start with the basics: NO processed foods. NO Pop. NO sugar. Those are basic and non-negotiable.

Eat real food. Protein shakes are for GAINING weight, not losing it.

Don't eat at night. Your last bite of food should be 4-5 hours before bed. If you eat at night, you will not lose weight.

You don't lose weight by exercise. Anyone who tells you differently is either lying or misinformed. Exercise is for strengthening you muscles; diet is for losing or gain weight.

Then you can experiment with the various types of nutritional ideas out there -- low fat, low carb, Zone -- and see what works best for you. Two things that all rational diets have in common are (1) no processed foods and (2) lots of frutis & veggies. Beyond that you can experiment with different ratios of protein, carbs and fats and see what makes you feel healthy. That's going to depend on your genetics, age, activity level, etc. and will be different for every person. There is no such thing as a perfect diet; there is only the perfect diet for you.

Good luck!!!
EasyHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2013, 10:46 AM   #10
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rys View Post
i might look into doing the GM diet first

GM Diet | General Motors Diet Plan, Reviews and Tips
Is this a parody site? If the GM diet is as good as their cars, it should make you both sick and fat!
EasyHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2013, 11:00 AM   #11
rys
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyHeart View Post
Is this a parody site? If the GM diet is as good as their cars, it should make you both sick and fat!
weird name for a diet, weird program for a company i've tried it in June, after the 'diet' it made me crave for food less. i know it's a fad diet. i just dont know where to start really.

but because of the holidays, i had something to blame my weight gain on

i'll try eating clean again
Old 6th January 2013, 11:17 AM   #12
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyHeart View Post
The fact that your weight is going up and down means this diet isn't working. A healthy diet doesn't require any extreme motivation or dedication. If you're struggling with your weight, you need to change how you eat. That's what 'diet' really means.
Look, i don't want to be mean, but you are assuming a lot about me, so i guess i should provide some more info.
I started my first diet when i was 1yr old, staid on it for 3yrs because my intestines were not developed [retarded], and i could only eat glucose [weighed to a fraction of a gram] and carrots.
Since i was 7 i had metabolic issues, had to exercise just to stay in shape.
At 13 i simply had enough and refused to go back there, i was done living my life according to crap like this.
I was overweight untill the end of HS, the fact that even with exercise from school to end of HS i was the target of verbal and physical abuse because i was the 1 [one] fat kid in my entire yr did not help, and contributed to my decision at 13.
Untill i was 28 i simply packed on the pounds through a somewhat sedentary lifestyle, though i did a couple of diets from time to time.
That doesn't mean that i drive everywhere or that i eat everything in sight.
I eat when i'm stressed, i drink soda instead of water generally but compensated by eating less overall.

Quote:
Start with the basics: NO processed foods. NO Pop. NO sugar. Those are basic and non-negotiable.

Eat real food. Protein shakes are for GAINING weight, not losing it.
I don't want to go into detail here, because i don't want it to be interpreted as a sales pitch, but i know what i'm doing, if you want we can take this over the PM.

Quote:
Don't eat at night. Your last bite of food should be 4-5 hours before bed. If you eat at night, you will not lose weight.

You don't lose weight by exercise. Anyone who tells you differently is either lying or misinformed. Exercise is for strengthening you muscles; diet is for losing or gain weight.
Debatable, it depends on exercise.

Quote:
Then you can experiment with the various types of nutritional ideas out there -- low fat, low carb, Zone -- and see what works best for you. Two things that all rational diets have in common are (1) no processed foods and (2) lots of frutis & veggies. Beyond that you can experiment with different ratios of protein, carbs and fats and see what makes you feel healthy. That's going to depend on your genetics, age, activity level, etc. and will be different for every person. There is no such thing as a perfect diet; there is only the perfect diet for you.

Good luck!!!
What i was saying really.

Thanks, i know it will work.
Old 6th January 2013, 12:08 PM   #13
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Million.to.1 View Post
Eating 6 small meals is not necessarily "the way"

Read up on Intermittent Fasting. There is plenty of research that supports that way of eating. Works for me.
i was always under the impression that eating more often speeds up your mentabolism though? you're body has more work to do more often to digest your food, etc.
Jono85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2013, 12:46 PM   #14
Established Member

Quote:
I need to keep this diet for at least 30days to show some serious improvement [20-35 pounds lost],
I personally think this is too much weight loss in too short of a time. A pound-a-day is unhealthy even for the morbidly obese.

Also, while I applaud you for kick-starting a diet program with meal-replacement shakes, I don't believe it is a long-term solution.

I have gained and lost and gained a hundred pounds several times in my life. Yes, one can lose by meal-replacement shakes, but it is not a long-term solution.

The rest of your plan is a better one; low-fat proteins, less carbs, smaller portions. If you plan a weight loss more slowly and effectively as a LIFE CHANGE, then you will keep the weight off.

This is coming from the horse's mouth in that I lost fifty pounds last year with this technique, but - sadly - gained 40 of it back by not living by my own rules; I re-introduced carbs and fattier meals (ah, the joys of a happy relationship) and will be re-starting my own weight loss program again this week.

For me:
  • Minimal carbs once a week (maybe rice with sushi or a rare piece of toast with breakfast).
  • Limited fruits (too much sugar)
  • Fish three to four times a week and beef only once a week (maybe)
  • DAILY cruciferous vegetables; chard frittata, brussels sprouts in salads, etc...
  • Tea instead of coffee (I can drink tea without cream and sugar)
  • Less milk and more water
CarrieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2013, 1:25 PM   #15
Established Member

If you drink coffee because you have a coffeine need, you could go for a tea with strong teine presence [close relative of coffeine with similar influence on the body].

Over here there is a big industry for tea [natural stuff too], so you can get stuff pretty cheap and there are dedicated shops for it ... i'm gonna visit one tomorrow and see what they recommend [i need lecitine and vitamins anyway].

I know it can be bad for you to lose too much too fast, and i agree with you ... it is not a long term solution.
Tbh, this is my standard rate of losing weight.
When i did the Hopkins diet [lots of unprocessed raw foods, no fats, meat on the grill with no spices or salt], i lost at an even faster rate.
I don't know, for me the first month is always a massive loss.

The plan is to replace 2 meals a day with shakes initially, and then in the future to go for 1 meal replaced with shake and 2 normal meals [but still controlled in terms of what i eat]. My mother actually maintained herself on the latter for yrs.
Unfortunately, untill i reach about 110kg [242 pounds], i can't really exercise.
I know my body and i can't even do push-ups, my bike ends up in the shop within 1h of using it and i really am ashamed of going swimming [weight and gynecomastia provokes some stares].

If i manage to get to 'exercise weight', i can use the above to stay in shape, walk more [i actually like walking ... it tends to clear my mind and as an introvert it is considered 'me' time].

For the carbs thing, i recommend oats seeds in yougurt or even milk. It takes longer to get into the bloodstream and it's a steady fix instead of a massive hit like others are.

---

I forgot to add, i'm starting tomorrow, will post daily updates.

Last edited by Radu; 6th January 2013 at 1:29 PM..