LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Breaking Up, Reconciliation & Coping > Breaks and Breaking Up

Consolidated discussion: The No Contact Guide and No Contact process and experience


Breaks and Breaking Up It happens to most everyone at some point in life! Share your experiences!

Like Tree250Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th April 2014, 2:15 AM   #1
New Member
 
Zanyuki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 2
Consolidated discussion: The No Contact Guide and No Contact process and experience

Moderation note: We broke out the discussion of individual experience with No Contact and/or the Guide to No Contact from guide content itself, so this posting is the start of that discussion. Members may find the Guide link here:

The All-New 2014 No Contact Guide!

Hi,

I'm new here and I found this really helpful. I just started NC today since we broke up yesterday, and as you can imagine, this is all very fresh and very painful for me. I figured I'd feel better if I have a support group somewhere, anywhere, even online. My friends live too far from me to consider going out with them every night when loneliness strikes (too far in the sense that I wouldn't be able to go to work should I go the distance).

I'm confused about a lot of things because my girlfriend of 2 years (or ex in this case) wanted space but her space is just a euphemism for a break-up, since she doesn't know whether she'd come back or not. As you can probably see, she was the dumper, and though advice from people urged me to set some ground rules for this "space", she simply does not know and would instead be mad and confrontational and tell her about these simple what-do's and what-don'ts.

BTW she also tells me to move on and let her go.

What do I do? I know it's to NC, since I've had 3 break-ups before this and was successful in doing so, but not without its own heartache. I think this was the worst, because I don't know what's going on. I don't know if she's cheating, because she says she won't date anyone else for the meantime, but what does that mean exactly? I asked her that if I could date someone and said it's up to me - does this mean that, by inference, she'd rather not date but if it's totally up to her to date, since she says that it's okay for me to?

Thanks a lot for your help. Any comment is welcome.

Last edited by LoveShack.org Moderator; 24th September 2014 at 9:17 PM..
Zanyuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2014, 1:34 PM   #2
Established Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by km19 View Post
This right here is awesome. I have it saved to my desktop on a note just to remind me. I know it will come in handy when I do have the urge to break NC. But I'm 100% committed to keeping NC and figuring me out.

Thanks again. This truly is fantastic
Thanks for the awesome quote, I had missed it first time.

I've also saved it, and underneath is have written a list of things about the ex which annoyed me whilst we were together. It's important not to idealise a past relationship.

Found another way to help me maintain NC today too. I haven't deleted his number from my phone because I want to know it's him if he does contact me (we have shared family friends so there may be some practicality in the future where we have to communicate on a functional level.) I'm anyway more likely to email him, than text.

Anyway, my tip - open up an email or text from someone well boring, a mailbox that won't receive a reply (your phone, gas company etc etc). Then fire off that message to your hearts content. If you want to follow throught with the send button, who cares if they think you are mental, hopefully one of those no reply boxes anyway, LOL.

Then take a step back for however long you need (you know this - and I'm finding the sanity returning period is gettingn shorter every day for me), and think - what are the possible outcomes of sending this and how will they make YOU feel. not THEM, this is about YOU.

I realised that if he ignores me, I'll feel awful - back to day one.
He's think I'm still thinking about him - I am, but he does'nt need to know that that.
And then I realised that it sends him a much more POWERFUL message that I have walked away from him, if I send him NOTHING.

BINGO - lightbulb moment for me

Decided to treat myself as my reward, going to pay someone to wash and clean my car this weekend. She deserves a bit of love and attention. Like me, she's going to have an overhaul. She may be old but she's stuck by me.
Summerrose2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2014, 1:05 PM   #3
Established Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 62
I can definitely see this working (I have started no contact and the pain does seem to be getting less each day) but I just wanted to touch on the part about birthdays. Obviously I know not to send her any kind of wish/gift on her birthday, and I won't, but does this change if you have kids? Like we would always buy gifts for each other that were "from the kids" (they are too young to go and buy their own etc) so I was wondering if it would still be acceptable to buy her a card or a gift from our children? I know I would hate to not receive anything for my birthday etc from our kids, and she would feel the same. So my question is, should I still get her a gift or at least a card and say its from them but still don't get her anything from me?
chris9210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2014, 1:31 PM   #4
Established Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris9210 View Post
so I was wondering if it would still be acceptable to buy her a card or a gift from our children? I know I would hate to not receive anything for my birthday etc from our kids, and she would feel the same. So my question is, should I still get her a gift or at least a card and say its from them but still don't get her anything from me?
I think this is personal preference chris9210 and situation.

My partner had kids from a previous relationship and their father never did anything of that sort, so I took on that role and did it for her, now she has left me, obviously I won't be the one doing that, I don't expect the kids dad to do it now I've gone either.

I guess it depends if she is single or with someone new who should take on that role?

At the end of the day when the kids are so young the thought is for the receiving adult, if you're not with that adult then why should you have the thought?
FredJones80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2014, 2:11 PM   #5
Established Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredJones80 View Post
I think this is personal preference chris9210 and situation.

My partner had kids from a previous relationship and their father never did anything of that sort, so I took on that role and did it for her, now she has left me, obviously I won't be the one doing that, I don't expect the kids dad to do it now I've gone either.

I guess it depends if she is single or with someone new who should take on that role?

At the end of the day when the kids are so young the thought is for the receiving adult, if you're not with that adult then why should you have the thought?
Yea, I get what you're saying, the gifts aren't really from the kids, its basically me buying her something under the pretence of it being from them. She is with someone else (got with him before leaving me) but he has said he doesn't want to be a father figure to them, that he is only interested in her? (not sure how that is going to work but that's another story) so I don't imagine he will buy her anything off them. I just am thinking about it as if it was my birthday, I would like to receive something from my kids but then like I say, its not from them anyway so I think the rule of treating it like another day still applies. Thank you for your post, it helped me think of things in a different way.
chris9210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2014, 2:22 PM   #6
Established Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris9210 View Post
but he has said he doesn't want to be a father figure to them, that he is only interested in her?
I certainly don't want to get your hopes up Chris9210 so please don't - but if your ex-partner/wife has any respect for her children this new relationship just won't work out.

I took someone else's kids under my wing and their father still saw them. It is basically impossible to live with someone in a relationship that has children from a previous relationship without taking some responsibility for them, it just isn't.

Its one of those, you accept me, you accept my kids. If he doesn't, I can't see it lasting long.

Again, don't get your hopes up.

I do know where you are coming from about the presents, its just when you do that, you do it for her, if she has left you then she has to accept that she loses your compassion for these situations also, she can't have it both ways.
FredJones80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2014, 2:47 PM   #7
Established Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredJones80 View Post
I certainly don't want to get your hopes up Chris9210 so please don't - but if your ex-partner/wife has any respect for her children this new relationship just won't work out.

I took someone else's kids under my wing and their father still saw them. It is basically impossible to live with someone in a relationship that has children from a previous relationship without taking some responsibility for them, it just isn't.

Its one of those, you accept me, you accept my kids. If he doesn't, I can't see it lasting long.

Again, don't get your hopes up.

I do know where you are coming from about the presents, its just when you do that, you do it for her, if she has left you then she has to accept that she loses your compassion for these situations also, she can't have it both ways.
Finally, someone who agrees with me! I thought I was going crazy because everyone I've spoken to has disagreed with my view, that if you're going to be involved with someone who has kids that aren't yours, you have to assume some kind of "father figure" role if its going to work, otherwise what happens if they move in together? Is he just going to ignore them? I won't be getting my hopes up, don't worry, nice that you thought of that before giving your opinion though! I'm not going to keep hoping their relationship fails as I believe this may come back to bite me, I will just let it run its course as I don't see it working of he isn't going to be involved in their lives. Although she did tell me that one of the kids (the youngest) is calling him daddy. Now she was angry at me when she said this so could it be that she just said that to hurt me? As they haven't been together long and she isn't the sort of person to introduce a love interest as "your new daddy" especially if the father is still around. Although she has changed since leaving so who knows!
chris9210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2014, 3:23 PM   #8
Established Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris9210 View Post
Finally, someone who agrees with me! I thought I was going crazy because everyone I've spoken to has disagreed with my view, that if you're going to be involved with someone who has kids that aren't yours, you have to assume some kind of "father figure" role if its going to work, otherwise what happens if they move in together?
Yeah, I was never a father replacement because the kids had their dad, but you have to become something to them. Its just a impossibility to think otherwise.

My ex was pretty good though, she made it clear, you accept me, you accept my kids. I wasn't necessarily something I was overjoyed with but to be with the woman I loved I had to accept that.

Kids "get in the way" a lot of the time, when making plans, when plans go wrong, you aren't free to just do what you want all the time, if you don't accept that then how can a relationship work? I'm sure this new guy will get bored when their plans are scuppered or their weekends.

Lets hope anyway
FredJones80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2014, 3:40 PM   #9
Established Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredJones80 View Post
Yeah, I was never a father replacement because the kids had their dad, but you have to become something to them. Its just a impossibility to think otherwise.

My ex was pretty good though, she made it clear, you accept me, you accept my kids. I wasn't necessarily something I was overjoyed with but to be with the woman I loved I had to accept that.

Kids "get in the way" a lot of the time, when making plans, when plans go wrong, you aren't free to just do what you want all the time, if you don't accept that then how can a relationship work? I'm sure this new guy will get bored when their plans are scuppered or their weekends.

Lets hope anyway
Yea it would be nice for me if something like that happened, the kids in his eyes got in the way or something. Not much chance though I don't think because I have them at the weekend so they are free to spend all their time together while I'm looking after them, they even went away for a weekend together the other week and she asked me if I could have them an extra day because she had a "dentist appointment" but it turns out it was so she could go on this dirty weekend away with him, which made me feel a bit used, I know they're my kids but she only offers to let me have them extra if it benefits her. I hope what you say comes true, they they develop problems but I won't sit here and obsess over it because that would make me some kind of crazy stalker or something lol. Anyway thank you for your posts, I hope things work out for you too!
chris9210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2014, 1:05 PM   #10
New Member
 
MayaKey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2
Is NC a mutual agreement or...

....the dumpee just starts it on her/his own? I'm sorry if that question has been asked already. I made my own decision just like my ex made his own by breaking up with zero warnings. I've been in a shock for two weeks......denial first....mixed feelings of love and hate at the same time.
Since I'm very logical person but naive and gullible as well I made a journal for myself how In handle NC and am making notes and charts about my moods and feelings day by day. It seems to work so far and I am proud of myself with every hour and day that goes by.
MayaKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2014, 4:06 AM   #11
Established Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 129
that was biblical. thank you.
anemptycup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2014, 6:58 PM   #12
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry bubbles View Post
Yes, I think the things that remind you of your lost love are the hardest things of all. You cant control the kind of cars like theirs that go by, songs on the radio, places you went together...or hearing some good news and not having someone to share it with...or a joke that only you two would get. No contact, working out like crazy and finding a new hobby has got to help.
6 months NC
not healed but stronger
DownNtOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2014, 3:01 PM   #13
Established Member
 
littleplanet's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 611
This is all great stuff.
Except for this: I had an ex wife one time with whom I maintained a great friendship. We had a child who we co-parented. (He's all grown up, now.) That was infinitely easier to do, maintaining that friendship (and mutual respect.) The bumps along the way were minimal. He grew up normal, natural, healthy.

I also have maintained a friendship with a high school ex - that goes back 40 years. It is one of the most powerful friendships of my life.
I also talk (two or three times a year) to my very first girlfriend - "the one who got away."

Beyond all this, I've had a happy love life.
How was this done? Learning how to let go. Not "dropping and forgetting."
Just......letting go, when that's what is necessary to do.

I don't think I would have wanted to live a life, not learning how to do that.
How is this done? The usual way. Did I do this with every single ex? Of course not. It depends on the mix. (I've employed your methods from time to time.....but it's been a while since that was necessary.) Good advice, when needed.
But a baby doesn't always need to be thrown out with the bathwater........

Last edited by littleplanet; 15th May 2014 at 3:03 PM..
littleplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2014, 7:25 PM   #14
Established Member
 
jbelle6's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleplanet View Post
This is all great stuff.
Except for this: I had an ex wife one time with whom I maintained a great friendship. We had a child who we co-parented. (He's all grown up, now.) That was infinitely easier to do, maintaining that friendship (and mutual respect.) The bumps along the way were minimal. He grew up normal, natural, healthy.

I also have maintained a friendship with a high school ex - that goes back 40 years. It is one of the most powerful friendships of my life.
I also talk (two or three times a year) to my very first girlfriend - "the one who got away."

Beyond all this, I've had a happy love life.
How was this done? Learning how to let go. Not "dropping and forgetting."
Just......letting go, when that's what is necessary to do.

I don't think I would have wanted to live a life, not learning how to do that.
How is this done? The usual way. Did I do this with every single ex? Of course not. It depends on the mix. (I've employed your methods from time to time.....but it's been a while since that was necessary.) Good advice, when needed.
But a baby doesn't always need to be thrown out with the bathwater........


Sure, some instances are different. I'm best friends with my ex husband which is fantastic for our son, he sees both of us every day and there is no arguing/drama. The reason we are friends though is that we were pretty much just room mates by the time things ended and our feelings were neutral/equal, no one was still in love the other. We had the unicorn "mutual" breakup lol. I think if one person is still in love it won't work.
jbelle6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2014, 11:34 AM   #15
Established Member
 
littleplanet's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 611
Cool

I agree - when feelings are neutral, it makes a big difference. That often leads to a breakup that is far more mutually agreed upon. Not the quick dump.
Now that I think on it.....I never did experience a 'dump' (either side) that wasn't short term - a few months. So the damage was minimal.
(except for that "first cut is the deepest" - but I was a kid then, really.)

One thing I would heartily agree upon though, for sure: Anything in the unrequitement category - avoid like a plague. Because it is totally toxic.
But here's the thing. I must admit - when I was the unrequited one, that was so much easier to arrive at, and maintain.
Yet two of my most powerful friendships (going back decades) were both unrequited on the other side. I guess I would put them both in the category - that the friendship ultimately became more important than the unrequitement.
But what does that really mean? Perhaps - that it was easier for those two to get over their unrequitement........than it was for me to get over mine.

But then....no unrequitement is in the same category as a full-blown relationship. There are no promises or commitments.

But here's the thing: If one is still in love, then of course there's a lot of pain.
NC is for the purpose of minimizing that pain - until the day arrives when it isn't there anymore (for the purpose of moving on.) Is that not the same thing as letting go? Or......has one really learned how to let go?
The processes that strengthen one through life's experiences. Rising above what makes us feel weak.
(emptying out the suitcases and putting stuff away in drawers and back in the attic).......reduced baggage. Travelin' light. (freedom?)
littleplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

 

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No Contact (NC). Guide for the long walk. Consolidated discussion. No Foolin Coping 629 27th July 2015 3:21 AM
My No Contact Guide BlessYourCottonSocks Breaks and Breaking Up 3 18th December 2013 2:40 PM
SP's No Contact Guide shadowplay Coping 3 1st May 2010 5:08 PM

 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 7:10 PM.

Please note: The suggestions and advice offered on this web site are opinions only and are not to be used in the place of professional psychological counseling or medical advice. If you or someone close to you is currently in crisis or in an emergency situation, contact your local law enforcement agency or emergency number.


Copyright © 1997-2013 LoveShack.org. All Rights Reserved.