i want both a marriage in city hall and in a church

hey guys...this is a little problem of mine....its nothing big but i want to make sure i'm doing the right thing. See, i met this incredible guy, and we've been seeing each other for a while, he fell in love with me and vice versa. Hes the best thing that could happen to me. He proposed and I, of course said yes. But my family thinks that at our age ( I at 21 and him at 22) is to young. We were thinking about running to say, City Hall to get married, and not telling our family..but i want a church wedding....is it possible to get married at city hall and later on in a few years or so get married in church?

YOU ASK: "is it possible to get married at city hall and later on in a few years or so get married in church?"

Absolutely, people do it every day. I would first tell your parents that you plan to do it so they understand you are serious and perhaps may cave in on a church wedding anyway. You are certainly of age to do what you want and they know it.

A marriage at City Hall, before a justice of the peace, judge or notary public is a civil ceremony and binds you legally in marriage. A church wedding is designed to do the same before your God. I would suggest going to the Church of your choice and explaining your situation to a member of the clergy. They can perform a small religious wedding ceremony in the church to get you off and running...just like you could do at City Hall....and later re-do the ceremony before family and guests. People renew their wedding vows all the time and there's no minimum of time that must pass before you can do that. So you can have your first wedding in church too...just a very small one.

My guess is that when you tell your mom and dad what you're going to do, they'll be mad as hell for a few hours...but then they'll say "what the hell" and give you their blessings. At least I would hope they would be reasonable. If not, go about what you want. They'll come around sooner or later. I can't imagine them passing up the opportunity to be a part of something they've waited so long for.

Also, in my opinion your ages are just fine for marriage as long as you've thought things through thoroughly, you are financially stable and you have the ability to conduct an independent family life between the two of you without depending on others for help. It takes pretty good money to keep a home going.

Good luck with your marriage.

• Author

Thank you for ur advice.....but see i dont want the family to know im married...lol i dont know what to do,because i love him with all my heart...and the parents just wont approve of the marriage. They will never come around and thats the way it is. They seem to think that because im still in college, i should get married when im 27 and its no if ands or butz about it. I come from a serious line of strict italian family. I know this is stupid but I'm going to try to keep it from them. =) Thanks for luck.

What's the rush to get married? If you aren't going to tell anyone, then nothing changes about your relationship. I don't see how you could keep it a secret, especially during tax season.