Emotionally abusive ex proposed

We broke up over a year ago. It was a terrible relationship. We haven't spoken in months. Yesterday he came over and proposed. I said no. He was upset and hurt.

And now I feel terrible, despite how he treated me for 5 years.

I'm unemployed right now and don't have insurance, or I'd go back to therapy for this.

I hate that I feel this way.

as hard as this is, take pride in the fact that you were able to reject him, because you remained adamant about not staying in an unhealthy relationship. Right now that might feel like cold comfort, but in the bigger picture, it means you're growing stronger and healing.

call an abuse hotline – maybe they can direct you somewhere that is low-cost or free? Or even a local church ... my husband's co-worker is a deacon at the Catholic church, and he says from time to time he'll be approached by someone who's not Catholic, but feels he/she can talk to him because he's clergy. I imagine that because this is what they're in the business for, ministers are cool with counselling people in need.

hugs,

quank

• Author

Thanks. I think I just really need support right now. :)

I actually am Catholic, but have never gone to a priest for counseling. Do you know how that works? Can I just show up and talk if he's available? I've moved around a lot my whole life, so I've never been in one church long enough to strike up much of a relationship or rapport with anyone.

Sorry to hear this. but, you did the right thing by saying no.:) Emotional abuse is awful and NO one deserves it. Just think how much better off you are going to be without him. Hang in there.

Mea:)