Debt and College costs who pays for it?

I am getting married and my spouse to be has debt from college and I have none and she also has about 3 more years of college which will cost around $14,000. My question is who pays for the debt and the future cost of her going to college? Please let me know what you think.

Who pays for it is up to YOU and your bride to decide. Since you will be getting a great benefit from this education since she will possibly work during your marriage...or whatever...it would seem that you would be happy to share in these expenses if you are able.

In other words, the education she gains now will benefit your marriage and your relationship with her since you will be her primary family. It makes sense that you would be happy to help her out. If you want a less educated wife, ask her to drop out of college.

you can defray a lot of college costs through grants and scholarships, and believe me, a lot of that money just sits there because people don't think to look for it. Talk to a guidance counselor at school for more information, or do a web search on "scholarships."

another suggestion is looking at taking core classes at a local junior college. While a JC doesn't have the prestige of a four-year school, it's a heck of a lot cheaper and most of the credits will transfer to a four-year school.

I got my degree long before I married, but still had loans to pay off. My husband just went ahead and paid off the balance because he didn't want that debt hanging over our heads.

HokeyReligions

She is responsible for debt incurred prior to marriage, but beware -- there are loopholes galore in this and the marriage contract may absorb this so that you become liable for the debt if she does not pay - whether or not you remain married.

Any debt incurred after marriage is the responsibility of both parties, and it doesn't make any difference whose name is on the paperwork.

Some states vary from this slightly and you need to check with the individual/company/school that holds the debt.

Just A Girl2

Gee, is it me or does this post elicit a kind of deja vu feeling? (spring, oracle, greenspan, charcoal, etc)

You obviously knew she was going to have college-related debt when you proposed to her, did you not? If her "costs" are going to be such a great concern to you, then you should have waited to propose until after she was done college and her debt had been paid off.

If you actually DO love her enough to want to spend the rest of your life with her, then you're not going to be petty and sitting here worrying about whether you'll have to help your upcoming-wife with her debt.

No doubt her college education is going to prepare her for a decent career, right? One in which she'll be bringing home an income. So in other words, you're going to be reaping the benefits of her education, correct?

But hey, if you're so preoccupied with debt she's incurred in an attempt to make something of herself, maybe you shouldn't be getting married after all. You sound kind of selfish.

No I want to help her. But I was wondering how much I should spend towards her college. I mean should I pay all of it, should she pay all of it, should we split it please give me your suggestions. At what about the debt she incurred before marriage? Please get back to me on this. Thanks

If you are a couple and are about to get married, why don't you ask her this yourself?

If I was in a marriage, some things would be 50/50 and some things would still be my responsibility. What if you collage debt is something she wants to work of herself? What if she is scared by it and wants help? Why are you asking us and not your future wife?

• 2 weeks later...
clairvoyant

My husband and I got married in June of 2002. We decided to open a joint checking account. All of our bills are paid through the joint account, including my student loan payments. You guys will obviously have to decide what is best for your situtation. I don't think there is a right or wrong way to approach this issue. Just do what you guys are comfortable doing.

• 2 weeks later...

if i was getting married-my bills would be his and his would be mine.

my husband and i both bought debt into our marriage. we paid everything with a smile on our face. thats what PARTNERS do.