Getting Married / Staying Married in Todays Economy?

LakesideDream

LakesideDream

I've been wondering for a few weeks now, what effects will todays economic chaos have on the decision to marry, maybe more important on the decision to stay married?

Will the shortage of jobs and instability of the financial base delay marriages? Will younger people remain "at home" sharing expenses longer, fearing that marriage, and "moving out" of their parents homes will just be to expensive in these uncertain times?

More curious, will the current economic chaos curb the "walk away wife" fad? Will the inability to sell the marital home and split the proceeds cause couples to re-think seperating and/or divorce?

Will the uncertainty in the Job market and possibile inability to pay child support or spousal support cause couples to re-think?

Will a woman who's husband has a stable income, but bad communication skills think twice about her need for "space" and emotional gratification? How important is the reality that two incomes, (or one good one) are better than employment uncertainty overshadow the mid life need to "find ourselves", "have space" and "have our needs met"?

The cruel (?) reality may be that one household is much cheaper to maintain than two. One roof to maintain, one refridgerator to run, one dishwasher, one washer and dryer, on home to heat and cool...

There are dozens of permutations of the above beginning to swirl through the marital soup. Will the financial situation become grim enough that couples will actually have to begin acting in consort, as a team instead of as individuals living together until one decides not to?

Gasp..! May fidelity and mutual respect result from the danger of losing everything (literally) to have one's ego stroked, or libedo's satiated?

What do you think LS'ers?

I hope this new economy will cause everyone to "think" better about their decisions. I hope young couples will think twice before they bring babies into this overcrowded, expensive, cruel world who will eventually have to end up paying our bills. I really hope they decide to not do that to a child.

I read somewhere that the economy was slowing divorces. Apparently no one wants to have their spousal support calculated during a depression.

OTOH, the paper equity in my sole and separate RE dropped 200K+ in the last year, affecting markedly the potential of an equity windfall for my wife should a judge rule with a clitoris in his mouth ;)

My financial strategy is predicated on a depression. Glad to see it's working out :)

Weighing in as a longtime singleton... I'm getting scared about my financial future, and I believe this is triggering a desire in me to find somebody compatible to settle down with - a safe, secure relationship. I have not felt that way in a long time (over 8 years ago, right before I met my last serious BF).

I think it's all about the economy for me. Emotionally I would prefer to remain single. But with each passing day it is looking worse and worse out there. So I'm going to try it again. Gah.

You're right Lakeside, it will be very interesting to see how this depression/recession/economic capitulation will change people's behavior. Including mine.

I've been wondering for a few weeks now, what effects will todays economic chaos have on the decision to marry, maybe more important on the decision to stay married?

Will the shortage of jobs and instability of the financial base delay marriages? Will younger people remain "at home" sharing expenses longer, fearing that marriage, and "moving out" of their parents homes will just be to expensive in these uncertain times?

More curious, will the current economic chaos curb the "walk away wife" fad? Will the inability to sell the marital home and split the proceeds cause couples to re-think seperating and/or divorce?

Will the uncertainty in the Job market and possibile inability to pay child support or spousal support cause couples to re-think?

Will a woman who's husband has a stable income, but bad communication skills think twice about her need for "space" and emotional gratification? How important is the reality that two incomes, (or one good one) are better than employment uncertainty overshadow the mid life need to "find ourselves", "have space" and "have our needs met"?

The cruel (?) reality may be that one household is much cheaper to maintain than two. One roof to maintain, one refridgerator to run, one dishwasher, one washer and dryer, on home to heat and cool...

There are dozens of permutations of the above beginning to swirl through the marital soup. Will the financial situation become grim enough that couples will actually have to begin acting in consort, as a team instead of as individuals living together until one decides not to?

Gasp..! May fidelity and mutual respect result from the danger of losing everything (literally) to have one's ego stroked, or libedo's satiated?

What do you think LS'ers?

I saw the downturn to the economy coming about 6 years ago. I had about $40,000 dollars saved to keep my head above water when needed. One of the reasons my ex left me was because I wasnt excited about buying a $300,000 house and $15,000 engagment ring because I thought it was careless. Being the wonderful woman she was she left me because I "didnt want to commit".

She also mentioned part of the reason she broke up with me was because I didnt have a 401k.

I saw the downturn to the economy coming about 6 years ago. I had about $40,000 dollars saved to keep my head above water when needed. One of the reasons my ex left me was because I wasnt excited about buying a $300,000 house and $15,000 engagment ring because I thought it was careless. Being the wonderful woman she was she left me because I "didnt want to commit".

She also mentioned part of the reason she broke up with me was because I didnt have a 401k.

Be thankful you dodged that bullet. My bf is insisting I have not one but two engagement rings, I told him that was nonsense and not necessary. I also made it clear that I didn't care to spend a whole heapload of money on the wedding and would MUCH prefer using that toward our living expenses starting out.

After all this..I get randomly checked to make sure I really have a vagina. :lmao:

Be thankful you dodged that bullet. My bf is insisting I have not one but two engagement rings, I told him that was nonsense and not necessary. I also made it clear that I didn't care to spend a whole heapload of money on the wedding and would MUCH prefer using that toward our living expenses starting out.

After all this..I get randomly checked to make sure I really have a vagina. :lmao:

:lmao: I am the same as you. I don't see myself ever getting married but if I do I already know I am just going to go to the court house one day. Spending that much money on anything just seems pointless to me.