Guys: Would you wear an engagement ring?

I was just curious about this. My fiance proposed to me with a beautiful ring last month, and I feel like I should give him a gift in return. But I have no idea what is appropriate.

Jewelry shops are marketing men's engagement rings. But the concept seems kind of foreign to me -- like giving a guy flowers or something.

Would a guy actually wear an engagement ring? What differentiates it from the wedding ring?

I have never known a guy to wear an engagement ring.

Buy your man a watch. Engrave the back with some suitable words of eternal love and time. He'll like that a lot more than a ring, I'm guessing.

Would a guy actually wear an engagement ring? What differentiates it from the wedding ring?

I asked my b/f that. He says:

1. Yeah, I suppose so (he'd wear one). 2. Nothing (differentiates the two)

It's a darn interesting concept, though. But leads me to wonder...does he trade in the engagement ring when we get married? Does he wear two rings after the ceremony? (Which to my own ears just sounds weird -- too "girlish" or something.)

OTOH, I do gift him with flowers all the time -- and have done (with other guys) since I started dating.

I don't think I saw my engagement ring as a gift, so never felt a need to "exchange gifts" at that time. Then again, we only had a one-ring wedding ceremony.

(B/f also doesn't see engagement ring as a gift, per se. He doesn't like to wear rings at all, but did/would wear a wedding ring.)

Maybe it's just about how we are programmed for this particular tradition, without really thinking about the 'whys and whats' of it?

Because...heck, a man's engagement ring is a darn interesting concept :)

first be sure that he's cool with wearing jewelry, because some guys don't like stuff on their hands or wrists (especially those who work with their hands, like mechanics, who worry about getting them caught in machinery).