Is he interested in me? Or just a friend?

newyorker3475

I can't tell if this guy is interested in something more or not. We have known each other a year or so and we met each other by playing recreational soccer at our university. When we first met each other, he was very reserved around me but would talk to everyone else. I would catch him looking over or he would laugh at a joke I would say. Now, he will ask me to kick the ball around with him before the game when there are 9 other people he could ask. Every time we do talk, the eye contact is very consistent and intense. I used to be reserved around him too because he made me nervous (but in a good way). He added me on social media a few months after we met and then I noticed he would start to come up to me to make small talk or a joke here or there. I do know at some point he was dating someone, but I'm not sure of his status now. The past couple months, I have noticed he has really started to tease me (jokingly and in a nice way) to where other friends have said they think he likes me. He doesn't really do this to anyone else. There are still times where we both clam up and he stays pretty quiet and then other times he will talk my head off. I am really confused and not sure what to think. I want to give him more hints that I'm interested, but I also don't want to make a fool of myself if he's not interested.

It sounds like he likes you and wants to be more than "soccer buddies." Here's a crazy thought. ASK HIM!

salparadise

He's interested, he's just shy and not sure of himself to the point of being able to make a bold move. His reservation is the same as yours –– the risk of getting shot down is huge if you really care. Just go up and whisper something really nasty in his ear about what you'd do to him if you could every catch him alone. Or you could suggest going for coffee after practice and the two of you could spend the next year or two gazing into each other's eyes and dreaming about what it would be like if neither of you were afraid to make a move.

I was just like that once upon a time. All of my early experiences were with girls/women who were willing to take some initiative and knew how to work a zipper.

• Like 1
I want to give him more hints that I'm interested, but I also don't want to make a fool of myself if he's not interested.

Giving him hints is a good plan. Up your flirting game & do touch him more then you do now but don't make a pest of yourself. Once or twice per encounter.

Talk about the kind of guy you like & that you hope will ask you out. (i.e. describe him :) ) Maybe ask him what's up with his GF & if she is coming to any of the games.

Flirting will not leave you vulnerable to embarrassment if you overread the situation. You can just dial it back.