Player or Genuine?

I was recently introduced to a man via a mutual friend - after chatting on the phone, and many texts messages, we decided to finally meet in person.

I had been well aware that this man does suffer terribly from anxiety and is also anorexic.

In his messages to me, he had always spoken so respectively to me, always very complimentary and he was the same in person. After a few drinks (he said they helped calm his anxiety) and about 8 hours of conversation, we kissed and eventually ended up in his bed.

When I got home the next morning, he sent me a text message saying how anxious he was feeling, and he was worried about me and if I thought he took advantage of me and very apologetic. He said he carried a lot of "Catholic guilt" and his anxiety level was through the roof.

I didn't hear much from him during the week but I went to his house again on Friday evening. Again, we spent hours talking about everything and anything, and having a few drinks. During the course of the evening he apologised for not contacting me much during the week (again explaining how his anxiety was through the roof) but that I was always in his thoughts - he said "I think you are wonderful, I respect you and I love you". He told me that I could call or text him any time I wanted to - he had said he always wanted to text/call me but was worried I'd see him as a "pest". He said that the week before he had felt so guilty that he had somehow disrespected me and was worried about how "I" was feeling about what had happened - and this guilt had made him feel very anxious.

I ended up spending the night again - and the next morning I told him not to worry - that we didn't do anything we should feel ashamed of.

But my best friend (who has never met him), thinks he is just a player - just saying what I "want to hear" and is using his anxiety as an exuse. I really don't know what to think - I really do like this man - he's not particularly good looking, he's not a rich man, and I don't think he'd have women beating down his door to go out with him - and he's certainly not someone I'd ever thought I'd find myself attracted to - but there is just something about him.

But I do worry that he is a player - how can I tell?

Edited by Missteeq
typo