Interested? Or is she just being nice?

fromhere2there

Hey all,

I've known this girl through work for about 2 years now, and we've been working together for about 6 months. In all that time, we've both been single, and both still are. Over time, the more I've got to know her, the more I've been interested in her. As of late, she's really been opening up to me, and I'm a little confused how to interpret this.

Just as a heads up, I'm really, really awful at picking up on signals, so forgive me if I'm reading too much into what I'm about to post.

The last few weeks, we've both been to events after work with other work colleagues. She always asks me if I'm coming along, and seems really happy when I say I am. On one occasion, we were all at dinner, and she invited me on vacation with her and her friend. She was asking me a lot of questions about my life, and was very complimentary to me, complimenting my height and noticed I had been going to the gym. Later in the evening, she leaned over to one of her friends and they were discussing something. Another friend then asked her if she was trying to 'set her up'. I don't know if this was a joke, but I suspect it may have been as I certainly was within earshot of the comment. However, her friend has also been really nice to me as of late.

Another evening, we were at a bar and she said that she really liked it when I came out and that she liked spending time with me. She also said that I was one of her favourite people. She also was very complimentary, saying she thought I was a really good and honest person, and that she liked talking to me. She also gave me a little slap on the leg when she got up to go to the bar.

I'm not sure if she's just being nice, or if there is more to it? She's a fantastic, intelligent, attractive and very popular girl, and I find it hard to believe she'd be interested in me.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hmmmm...women are a strange brew to be sure.

There's only one way to find out...ask her out already!!!!

EngnimaticResponse

It sounds like she might be interested from how you describe it, but if you want to play it safe, you could simply tell her what you told us. I edited for her.

I overheard your friend that night at dinner.

Just as a heads up, if you have not guessed already, I'm really, really awful at picking up on signals. So, anything you can point out for me in that area would be helpful.

And there you go. If she is interested, or trying to set you up, she'll be more poignant about bringing it to your attention.

Edited by EngnimaticResponse

If she just up and asked you to join them on vacation without any prompting from you about how you'd like to go, then I'd say she does like you.

She's a workmate, though, and they do have to be nice, but I think she's been pretty clear it's more than that.

If I were you, I'd give her a phone call and saying something like, I've been wanting to ask you out, but since we work together I can totally understand if you think that's a bad idea. And just see what she says. She could both really like like you AND decide it's not a good move because of work because you are stuck there if it doesn't work out and retaliation happens a lot of times. But I bet she takes you up on it since she asked you on vacation and you're one of her favorite people. So good luck!

Targetlock

I would say she is but be careful with a work colleague, these things have a tendency to come back and bite you if they go wrong.