Keeping the door open

I have recently gotten closer to and become interested in this girl I have known for years however we are both in college at different schools. We seem to have some spark, at least in a friend sense whenever we hang out but the thing is that when we are at school we are completely out of touch (aside from liking each others posts on facebook, which doesn't really count). How can I best keep my options open with her? I really like this girls but I guess I am not sure if it is better to just drift apart when we are at school and reconnect when we are in the same place or if I should somehow try to keep in touch with her. If I should try to keep in touch with her how do I do it?

• 2 weeks later...
I have recently gotten closer to and become interested in this girl I have known for years however we are both in college at different schools. We seem to have some spark, at least in a friend sense whenever we hang out but the thing is that when we are at school we are completely out of touch (aside from liking each others posts on facebook, which doesn't really count). How can I best keep my options open with her? I really like this girls but I guess I am not sure if it is better to just drift apart when we are at school and reconnect when we are in the same place or if I should somehow try to keep in touch with her. If I should try to keep in touch with her how do I do it?

Why is it hard to keep in contact while in school? I mean there is texting, Facebook messaging, skype, and all kind of ways to keep in touch. Just text her every couple of days and talk about how your classes are going etc. This should be pretty easy.