Newly friends with benefits type of deal.. asked if I like him - unhappy response?

So I've been hanging out with this guy for a few months, and we kissed for the first time a couple of nights ago. Before that happened, we had a conversation maybe 2 weeks prior about friends with benefits and how he wouldn't exactly call it friends with benefits, and that he's done that before and how him and whoever would hang out, and hook up and it wouldn't be weird.. and I had said in reply about how I didn't think it was possible for a girl to do that without catching feelings, and he said one girl he had that with definitely didn't like him.. and I said that she probably did and just never told him. Then he agreed and said that it would make sense that seeing the person every day for like 3 months would obviously lead to liking each other and ending up together. Also, he's been telling me a lot that he really wants a girlfriend. After the first time we kissed, he had a big goofy smile on his face and said he'd been waiting to do that for a while, told me he'd been trying to play it off as if he wasn't interested until the timing was right to make his move, and just being really corny.

Anyways.. we were kissing the other day and he pulled away from me and asked if he could ask me something, so I said sure, and he asked if I liked him before he kissed me the other night. I said "yeah, a little bit.." and he made an "ahhh" which also sounded more like an "ughhh" noise, so I made a face at him, and he said "yeah, I thought maybe you did.. but then I was like ehh no maybe she doesn't." Then changed the subject.

So my question is... what the HELL did that noise mean?! Why would he make it sound like he was so unhappy by me having a slight thing towards him, when he's sitting there telling me he's wanted to do that for so long, and kissing me, and seeing me all the time. Wouldn't he want for me to like him at least a little bit? Or is this another one of his tricks to make me think he's uninterested?