friend zone? (long read

Hello, i'm asking pretty much anyone and everyone for insight on this, basically i'm going to go back to the start of this situation and recount all the important bits up to now, so its gonna be a bit of a long read.

ok, so i started college at the start of october and its been going pretty great, i met some great new people and among them is the girl i now really like, i thought she liked me at first as she was one of the first people to compliment me on my looks, so i thought great (we're both 16 by the way), so all through that week she said something new about me every day (mostly about my hair) then we all went out one saturday and she said she was talking to her friend about how nice i looked all the way there (we were meeting at a train station) and then she kept trying to initiate the conversation with me one on one but i didn't really show much interest (i wasn't that into her at the time), so it was all going well and i was getting good vibes off of her (hugging, touching compliments ect.) and so i figured i should tell her how i felt, the only problem was that she liked this other guy and he liked her, but then she saw a side to him that put her off of him as he upset her, so i figured that was my window, so one night i told her i liked her (only 3 weeks after meeting her, which was a mistake), it went terrible, i said to her that i needed to tell her something, so i took her aside and stuttered and stuff and then i let her guess, i got the i just see you as a friend line which made me feel like crap for the next 2 days, but then after that everything was back to normal and we were fine with eachother.

Then, about a month passed and i heard that she liked my mate alot and he liked her (and i had actually been confiding in him on this and asking for his advice) but they hadn't done anyting yet, but i also got the impression that she liked me again as she was giving all the signs, like telling me i'm pretty, the touching, hugs, except more so and so i asked my other friend what i should do as she was giving me mixed signals and so he said he'll talk to her. So one night when we were all out he took her aside and talked to her and he told me she said that she felt very overcrowded by the amount of people that liked her and that she liked my mate (who i mentioned earlier) and this other guy, but she wasn't sure if she liked me or not, but she didn't want to hurt me by telling me no, then this got back to her and she said that the guy was lying and that she saw me as just a friend and didn't know why he told me otherwise, so then i asked him why he said it and he said that she did say that.

So fast forward to now and she is trying to decide between the two guys and with me she is sometimes pretty close but other times just acts like i'm not there but i don't really care that she ignores me from time to time as she can't just keep her attention on me, but the other week i said i need a new jacket and she invited herself (just her) now, she knows full well that i like her and so its not because she trusts me and stuff and she is also wanting to meet my friends, so its a fair bit of one on one time shes asking for, and the other day i asked my mate if he was telling the truth all those months ago (about her not being sure about me) and he said yeah but she didn't want me to know because i would have jumped at the chance when she was already trying to decide between 2 other guys, so thats basically the situation as it stands-i like girl, girl likes 2 other guys.

so heres my questions

1-does it sound like she was attracted to me in the beginning? and can i regain that attraction?

2-was it a mistake diving headlong into telling her i like her?

3-does it sound like my mate was lying to me? because i know he likes her as well but he said if he can't go out with her he'd rather see me with her than anyone else.

4-whats the best course of action for getting out of this situation? because i could either give up (less pain) or i figured the alternative to that is to just take things very slowly with her and build up attraction, as there are no other girls i like right now, i am leaning toward the latter, but if anyone has any advice i would appreciate it, thanks.

Ok, heres an update, we've been getting on like a house on fire for the past week and its been great and for some reason she seems really happy when i hug her and whenever i compliment her she says it means alot to her and she laughs at all my jokes and we have alot of fun, but recently shes been picked on by a few people in our class (not physically)

so i had a word with one of the people and they were nice to her for the rest of the day, she later found out and said it really meant alot to her and then she opened up to me on how shes been through really rough times and shes onlt opened up like that to a few people, including one of the guys she likes and she said it meant alot to her that i listened and that i would keep it confidential, so does it sound like she is starting to see me as more than a friend? because i'm showing a side of me that shes hardly ever seen and it seems to be going well.