Should I even bother?? !!

Hey guys.. I stumbled across this site one night, and have read a lot of your posts and advice... and I'm hoping you guys can give me some insight and advice and reassurance that has seemed to help so many others!!

A brief summary of my situation:

Dated my boyfriend for 6 years. Before me, he had large string of short relationships, always "getting bored with" or "annoyed with" girls after awhile. He does, however, still have lots of friends who are girls, always loves female attention.

We are both 23.

During summer, things started just not really being the same, although there was no fighting, just not quite as close. We were both very close to each others families (his parents loved me, always hinting that they knew we'd get married someday; my family loved him, him and my dad were VERY close, even going on trips and vacas together, my dad and him emailed back and forth).

After trying to make plans to do something with him for a week and failing, I finally brought up the idea of possibly breaking up since we didn't seem to be making an effort anymore.

much to my surprise -- he agreed without hesiatation, saying maybe things "just weren't the same"

We broke up. This was the beginning of December.

when asked if there was someone else, he said no

I later found out that he had been "talking to" and "hanging out with" a new girl since September.

Him and new girlfriend started officially dating right before christmas.

By middle of January, they started telling each other that they love each other, and act totally obsessed with each other, (dont tell me how I know that..)

They are together constantly. every night. he stays over there or goes over there until really late.

They seem totally head over heals for each other.

Him and I had a chat at the end of January, I asked him how he could get over me so quickly and get into another relationship within 1 month of our 6 year relationship.

He says through tears "I'm not over you, you know I still love you, I don't know why, maybe I just need to try this, you know me, afraid of being alone; it probably won't even work out.. if it doesn't, i wouldn't expect to come back to you right away, don't get me wrong, but maybe in the future..." blah blah blah.

A part of me thinks that he was just saying that to make me feel better, I know he doesn't want me to hurt, but I know he has to at least think or wish that this new relationship will work out, or else he would be so intense in this new relationship.

Is it possible for him to be completely over me and totally in love with this new girl?

Is it possible for a relationship like this to work? (officially starting to date less than 1 month after end of 6 year relationship, head over heels and saying "i love you" after 1 month of dating, spending every available second together... very fast moving?)

I miss him. Help!