When do tell your children the 'facts of life'?

britchick

I was reading another thread and it got me thinking about this topic.

My children are both teenagers now so it's not so much of an issue for me anymore but I'm interested to see what other LSers views on this subject are.

I told my children as and when they asked questions, always told them the truth but explained in a way that was easy to understand and not scary for them. The first questions started when my daughter was three and I fell pregnant with her little brother. I thought this was better than a sit down discussion at a given age and also so they wouldn't believe any horror stories/fantasy that they heard from other kids.

Your views?

Me and my ex have taught our daughter that boys have penis's and girls have vagina's, the proper words forthem mind you, not wees and ho-has.

I was worried that her inital ideas might be a bit skewed as she walked in on me and my gf while in the act not long ago. I swear i thought the lock worked on my bedroom door. As my gf was the one on top that moment, my daughter started screaming and hitting my gf because she thought my gf was hurting my penis and was trying to kill me (my gf likes to claw me around the neck and i can see how she thought that). It took quite a bit of explaining to undo that one, and still I was vague. Four years old I think is too soon to say much more than we did. I simply told her that I was fine, that my gf wasn't trying to hurt me, we were just playing a grown-up game. The comical thing was that she seemed more amazed that grownups played games at all. I told her it was just like when she plays candyland with her friends at playgroup, except that grownups play different games. She seemed to accept that explanation and even apologized to my gf for hitting her.

Pretty smooth huh? I thought so too Until she started begging us to let her play too!!! Just for future reference parents, if your kids walk in on you, don't ever use the game analogy. Compare it to eating vegatables instead. They'll never ask about it again.

Me and my ex have taught our daughter that boys have penis's and girls have vagina's,

what about people that are born with ambiguous genetalia or have both?

Delnoire, you're story was adorable and very funny!

And britchick...I just wonder where you got the idea for this thread?;)

Our son is 10. He hasn't really asked that many questions. When he does I'm vague but honest. I don't give him more info than I think he wants.

The other day we were in the library and I was in the kids section. There's an area there for books for parents and kids. There was a book on display for kids to teach them about sex and my son picked it up and was looking through it. It had naked cartoon drawings to show male and female anatomy.

I looked up and saw him looking at it and he saw me and got all red in the face and put the book down. I was momentarily caught off guard and didn't know what to say. I didn't want to NOT say anything. I just told him that if he wanted to check the book out (I looked and it was age appropriate) that he could. That it was better than learning about stuff like that from his friends who may give him inaccurate information. He adamently said no and wouldn't touch the book again. I asked him if he was sure that it was ok to be curious but I could tell he did NOT want to even discuss it. So I just dropped it.

Once he DID ask me what a condom was and I just told him it was something adults use to prevent diseases but he didn't ask me anymore.

Oh and Delnoir, I think from now on my new code phrase for making love will be "Want to play Candyland, honey?" Ha!

Alpha please do tell us more about yourself........ :D

Just let the kids watch animal shows with mating...... they will catch on......

To be honest, it never even occurred to me. I wasn't trying to be insensitive or anything. Do you think an idea like that might be too complicated or even scary for a child to try and comprehend? I'm kind of speechless lol

And thanks for those of you who liked my story. I'm still blushing to this day.

I told my children as and when they asked questions, always told them the truth but explained in a way that was easy to understand and not scary for them. The first questions started when my daughter was three and I fell pregnant with her little brother. I thought this was better than a sit down discussion at a given age and also so they wouldn't believe any horror stories/fantasy that they heard from other kids.

That is how we have and will handle it. It isn't treated as a secret nor is it some magical procedure that needs to be revealed with a big ceremony.

As they get older, they ask questions. The questions get answered. The facts of life are just a fact of life.

MWC_LifeBeginsAt40

We got on this topic at work. Remember last year Dairy Queen had that commercial showing a pregnant woman daydreaming that her husband was giving birth and she was filming it? Well, it was on a KIDS TV station, and my kids had alot of questions "why is he screaming"..."why did he say YOU DID THIS TO ME"

Then, I had to take flack from coworkers cuz i said that i didnt' think my kids know where babies come from (they were 8 and 10), so I went home that night and kinda sorta told them.

My son then learned about puberty in class and remembers EVERYTHING. yikes. I wouldn't let my daughter read his notes.

I'm not looking forward to the teenage years. sigh