Can't Stop Cutting My Own Hair

I know this may seem trivial but it is not to me. My mother used to cut my hair. I thought my hair looked ok, but on time I tried cutting my hair on my own. My hair was pretty long, but the first time I cut my own hair it looked very good. So I continued to cut my own hair.

However, I always find imperfections and try to fix them. Usually, my attempts to fix my hair result in more imperfections that I notice. Thus, I am stuck in a cycle where I cut my hair and then look in the mirror and notice things that I think look bad, so I try to fix them but end up making the problem worse.

I become very frustrated and usually decide I am NOT going to cut my hair any more. I decide that I will let my hair grow and then have a barber cut it like the rest of the world does.

But after a while I decide to cut my hair and the cycle repeats.

Now my hair is very short. It doesn't look very bad, but I am constantly self-conscious about how my hair looks or how other people think my hair looks. I think my hair cut has started to embody the insecurities I have about my physical appearance.

A few weeks ago, I decided to throw away all the scissors in my house. I thought this would be a good solution. However, once again I found a way to cut my hair. I would use an electric shaving razor, or even a scissors at my place of work when everyone was out of the office.

I REALLY NEED some help with this. Every time I cut my hair I hit rock bottom and decide to not cut it any more, but I can't control my self. I really want to stop this and just have a normal hair cut and not be constantly judging myself by my hair.

I know this is not a life-threatening problem, but it is destroying my self confidence and I need help to kick my hair cutting habit.

Thank you very much,

Matt

I used to do the same dang thing, Matt23. Years ago. I heard it was a sign that you are depressed. I also heard that if people change their hair color often that is also a sign of it. Or a sign of being unsatisfied with your life in general.

I used to cut my own hair and color it. It was like I had no control over it. I hated it, but felt this strong compulsion to just trim it a bit more. I just couldn't get the cut right....would drive me nuts! I would always be analyzing my hair in the mirror.

Well, I don't do that anymore. I disciplined myself because I got tired of having crappy and short hair. I make my hair appointments every three months...on the dot. I put it the date on my calendar and look forward to it!!

If I feel the urge to cut a little here or there...I just remind myself that my haircut is just a couple weeks away. Usually when my hair starts looking shaggy is a couple weeks before my appointment.

I spend too much on my haircut/color now to even think about messing the cut up with my snipping.

After awhile, I just got tired of the ongoing struggle and having my hair too short.

burning 4 revenge

get a clipper cut and start from scratch.

if you ever lose your hair you're going to take it worse than i am

I have cumpulsions with dying my hair, my mom also thinks so to. I'm not to satisfied with my life right now but there are days where I am overly happy so I know im not depressed.

Do you see a counselor or therapist? Ever thought that maybe its a form of obsessive compulsive disorder? These are just questions not assumptions.

I have cumpulsions with dying my hair, my mom also thinks so to. I'm not to satisfied with my life right now but there are days where I am overly happy so I know im not depressed.

I here ya. The more dissatisfied I was with my life, the more of a hack job I did with my hair. I grew out of it though, maybe cause I am more at peace with myself now.

This is going to sound lame, but it might work.

What about buying those lifesized heads of barbie or whatnot, that is specifically for cutting and styling her hair...when you feel urges to snip, cut her hair. You could also do the same thing with a wig, I suppose.

I guess I was thinking of it terms of other addictions, like cigarettes. Sometimes its not so much the craving of smoking it, as it is to have it in your mouth. Thats why some quitters keep their mouths busy with carrot sticks, lollipops, gum, etc. Maybe you could keep your hands busy with a wig or a lifesized head.....You could just shave your entire head clean.

I here ya. The more dissatisfied I was with my life, the more of a hack job I did with my hair. I grew out of it though, maybe cause I am more at peace with myself now.

I used to do this, too. When I was really depressed in college after I was raped, and again when my marriage ended, and also last year when I was having other addiction issues. I cut my own hair all the time and it looked great, I might add. :p

But it sorta just went away when I became happier with my life.

OP, you might want to try meditation or mindful breathing exercises. They might help you learn how to calm and center yourself without needing the hair cutting ritual.

RecordProducer

What happened to self-control? Are you claiming that you can't control your own hands? That you're addicted to the scissors and the mirror?

In that case, you do need therapy. But if it's just a bad habit then stop. I used to cut or dye my hair on my own when i would suddenly want to change something in my life. I didn't have the patience to wait until tomorrow. It usually looked good and I was very content with the results.

As I got more stable as a person, I realized that very long, brown hair with blond highlights looked best on me so I am not experimenting anymore. But at least I've tried them all (except red). :D

I cut and dye my own hair usually, then like once a year I'll go get it cut professionally. It's a little hard to get in the back and after awhile it's not looking as good. My hair is really curly though and doesn't show errors much.. Plus I third that I am not too shabby. And I have some good scissors.

My suggestion is not to wait until your hair is longer to get a professional cut - make an appointment right now. Get the most expensive haircut you can afford. You deserve it... and you'll be less likely to snip at it if you think of it as something special.

Well cumpulsions are really hard to control you can gradually refraim your brain to slowly stop but its weird...

I also used to pull out my eye lashes and I meen all of them. I now have full eye lashes this year. It was weird I would do it when I was mad of course or sad.

I guess I found the hidden messages of why I am dying my hair so much but honestly I really just like doing my hair now that I know I can do my own highlights and low lights good. Who knows . Im trying to get out of the habit of having to make alfredo or go order it from a restaurant. I think after my break up I became more obsessed with food and my looks.