how can you tell?

guy in love with a co-worker

guy in love with a co-worker

I have 2 requests for advice, both relating to the same issue.

I'm very interested in this woman I work with. I'm just getting to know her, as she has joined our staff only in the last few weeks. She has not really become chummy with alot of the older people at the office, she's not unfriendly, just kind of quiet and keeps to herself. I talk to her practically everyday, sometimes in the line of duty, other times I just pop briefly into her office during a break for a short friendly chat. We talk easily, and laugh and joke with each other alot.

I'm horrible at reading non-verbal communication cues, and I can't tell if she's just being friendly, or if she senses my interest in her and is open to the possibility. I occasionally read about "How to tell if a woman is interested", but these articles always seem to presuppose you are meeting her in a bar or another non-work environment.

So my questions are: 1. In a work place, what cues might be indicative of interest on her part? And 2. What is the best way to approach a co-worker, without creating problems? I'm not worried about sexual harassment, I'd never say anything out of line, but I'd like to know the best way to let a co-worker know I'd like to go out with her, but doing in a way that won't jeopardize our working relationship, especially if she says "no"?

1. In a work place, what cues might be indicative of interest on her part?

To hell with the cues, if you are interested in her, ask her out.

2. What is the best way to approach a co-worker, without creating problems?

You can't. You can hint around all you want. Eventually somebody is going to have ask somebody to go out.

I'd like to know the best way to let a co-worker know I'd like to go out with her

The easiest way is to just ask her for a date.

doing in a way that won't jeopardize our working relationship, especially if she says "no"?

If you are worried about being rejected, then you are asking the wrong questions.

If she were to turn you down it shouldn't mean you can't still work together and/or talk to her at work. If she says "no", just shrug it off and carry on as normal. No harm done.