SmileEmptySoul

I have been lifting for 5 months for off season football. I have seen a great improvement in strength from going from a bench of 140max - 200 max. A 3 rep squat from 110 - 250. I have gotten alot of bulk on me and have gotten pretty big.

I went from 200 to 215 from lifting 3x a week for 5 months. The only difference I see are my arms are really defined now, and my lower back and upper back have gotten muscles iv never seen before.

But I have fat in places I have been trying to get rid of and its frikin impossible. I have. I have some extra fat around my lats I cant get rid of, and i have a stomach I cant get rid of.

I started running for 20 min a night to see if this will do anything. But does any one have any suggestions how to get rid of the fat around your lats and lower belly.

Iv seen people get jacked after lifting for 5 months and Iv been doing everything I was told from the trainer and I just got bulkier. I want to look cut, not like a monster on steriods.

It's possible that your genetic heritage is working against you. If you look fit and lean and healthy, be happy about that and don't do yourself damage by eliminating even more body fat just to look 'cut'.

I had the same problem, after 5 years of fad diets, etc, I finally decided to get serious about losing the belly. I started eating 99% fat free ground turkey breast, about a half pound a day.

for breakfast, I would have 2 lite and fit yogurts, 60 calories each.

11ish, 1/4lb ground turkey breast, usually with some A1 sauce, or bbq sauce, mixed with some spring vegetables, frozen in the bag kind. Then 3ish, another turkey breast meal. I chose turkey breast because of the protein, low fat and lower calories. Dinner I have a weight watchers smart ones meal, 300 calories or so.

I ingest around 1000 calories a day, and hit the eliptical machine at work, 30-40 minutes, 3-4 times a week, burning 500-600 calories in each workout session. in 2 months, I have lost almost 20 lbs, or 15% of my body weight. Because of the lower protein, I have lost a little muscle, but overall look more "cut and fit". I went from big with a belly, to cut with no belly. To me, the sacrifice was worth it, I get more compliments now then when I was bigger and stronger.

1976 how do you know how hard you need to be working at the ellipticals? How fast do you need to be going?

1. Cut back on the fat and calories in your diet

2. Start doing some super sets in your training if your not already

3. Higher reps, and shorten the time between sets

4. Wide grip chins with some added weight are great for the various parts of your lats.

I went from 200 to 215 from lifting 3x a week for 5 months

You have gained 15lbs of weight (mostly muscles I hope) in the last 5 months. Well done. now if you wanna lose fat

you need to eat less and use more energy.

And that probably means you muscle gains will stop/slow down.

Shahar.

Blackfrost

"cutting" diets are rough and very strict, ask any bodybuilder. If you're down around the 12% bodyfat range, it can take you 6-8-12 weeks to get down 3-4% less - the ripped look. If you want to get ripped you have to get very very serious about your diet. All natural fruits, vegetables, and lean cuts of meat - balancing your protein and carb intakes to keep your insulin levels from spiking. Keep salt intake at a minimum, and take an Omega 3 fatty acid suppliment every day along with a multivitamin and about 128oz of water per day. Many of us who have gotten into the 7-8% bodyfat range, busted our butts and had steel willpower to do it. Depending on your age, the time it takes to lose the last bits of fat will vary. Most of us bb's keep a daily food journal. Be careful not to over-train, this can be extremely counterproductive to your goals.

Cheers

P.S. if you're really serious about it, most bodybuilding sites will give you very detailed cutting diets and meal plans that will help you reach your goals :)

QuikSilver210

I really want to do it but I cant pay for a trainer because im 16 and I dont know a good diet to follow for myself.

I think it will help me confidence level not only in my football games but in my social life

How do I know how much protein/carbs/calories I should be taking in? I really want to get in shape but I don't know how to in specific. I'm willing to stick to a strict schedule if I knew the details. How many times a day should I eat? How often to exercise/cardio/lift weights? How much weight? How much cardio? How many reps? etc.

QuikSilver210

Im going to lose the fat I see it as kind of inevitable because I havent been eating any junk food sweets, fried foods, etc... and Im going to have football 6x a week for like 7 hrs a day of constant running and moving. I just see it as a matter of time before I get to how I want to look and feel.

1976 how do you know how hard you need to be working at the ellipticals? How fast do you need to be going?

The machine I use has a top level of 20.

I started out, level 8, at 60-70rpms on the eliptical.

I am up to level 12, 60-70 rpms.

what I did, was start on the lower level, and when I noticed I was working hard, and going up over 70rpms, I would raise it up a level.

I never was winded, like when you do wind sprints, but I was breathing heavy.

I was running on the treadmill, but I felt it was beating my knees off of me, so I almost stopped working out. I went to the eliptical, and have been more than happy with the results. I have a problem with will power, and catch myself snacking on junk once in awhile, I think if one can control theirself, losing weight should be relativly easy.

Blackfrost
How do I know how much protein/carbs/calories I should be taking in? I really want to get in shape but I don't know how to in specific. I'm willing to stick to a strict schedule if I knew the details. How many times a day should I eat? How often to exercise/cardio/lift weights? How much weight? How much cardio? How many reps? etc.

go buy the "body for life" book, it's a great program to get you in excellent shape. I also recommend the forums in bodybuilding.com, and fitday.com for tracking meals in calories and carbs. I can't tell you how you should balance your protein/carb/fat ratio with an exacting number, as genetics, age, and workout intensities are a large part of the consideration. I tend to do very well on a 50/40/10 ratio (50% protein 40% good carbs 10% good fats). Stay away from saturated fats and over processed foods that contain white flour. Instead, substitute brown rice and 100% whole wheat bread for your grain types of carbs.

I have a problem with will power, and catch myself snacking on junk once in awhile, I think if one can control theirself, losing weight should be relativly easy.

we all have our days of low will power. As long as they are not more than once every one to two weeks, this should not hinder your diet too much.

I was running on the treadmill, but I felt it was beating my knees off of me, so I almost stopped working out. I went to the eliptical, and have been more than happy with the results.

elipticals are awesome low impact machines (hence they save your knees and hips) while they burn off the fat. I use an eliptical crosstrainer at 90% heartrate for 22 minutes for my cardio, then jump on a treadmill at a max walking speed (set on level 10 out of 20 on hill climb mode) for another half hour, 3X per week for a good fat burn. then I lift on the other 3 days, rotating muscle groups, so as to hit every muscle group somewhere in the week - but never hitting the same group more then once per week.

Hope this helps - cheers :)

I am 19, almost 20 years old, 6'2" at 180 pounds and a standing heart rate of roughly 75, maybe a little less. How do I know what level to operate at? I know if I work too hard I will burn sugar and not fat. Should I feel winded/still able to talk/breathing hard but not heavy/etc? If I work out 3 times a week doing the elliptical and some weights (how much weight should I lift and how many times)? How long should I do this before I start to see clear results?

Erm thats alot of questions ;)

I suggest you checkout some bodybuilding fourms

and read the stickies there. As there is no clear answer

to some of your questions and trying to giving a proper full answer is gonnna take 3 pages of text at least.

about Cardio. low intensity cardio is normally done at

60-70% of your max heart rate. Max heart rate is determined by 220-(age). so for your that would be

120-140 BPM.

if you work at this heart rate you are supposed to burn

more fat then glucouse, of course keep in mind that

buttom line if u're burning more glucouse then it has to be replenished and if u're on a calorie deficincy its gonna be replenished from your fat stores mostly...

Weight lifting :

Ouch thats a huge topic.

I suggest you either invest some hours in reading about

the basics of bodybuilding (body for life is good start, you can find many bbing fourms online also) or get a personal trainer to build a basic program for you.

"How much weight should i lift"

Well that depends on how much weight you can lift.

its reletaive to you and the level of intensity you choose

to work at.

How long before you see results :

If you are new to weight lifting you can expect some

fast results in the begining. those are also called noobie gains. as for fat loss it depends on how much fat you have and where you store it. but you will not

see any real results without a proper diet in place.

Shahar.

if you only have bits of fat left in places you dont want them, diet is not the way it'l go- you have already lost the majority of fat that last little bit is the hardest to get rid of, if your doing mainly weights you need to do lots of cardio to burn up excess body fat, lifting wont get rid of it as well! Im speaking with experience as i work in a gym and we have training as we have to advise customers about workouts and draw up excercise plans etc. so i do know what im on about!

westernxer
"cutting" diets are rough and very strict, ask any bodybuilder. If you're down around the 12% bodyfat range, it can take you 6-8-12 weeks to get down 3-4% less - the ripped look. If you want to get ripped you have to get very very serious about your diet. All natural fruits, vegetables, and lean cuts of meat - balancing your protein and carb intakes to keep your insulin levels from spiking. Keep salt intake at a minimum, and take an Omega 3 fatty acid suppliment every day along with a multivitamin and about 128oz of water per day. Many of us who have gotten into the 7-8% bodyfat range, busted our butts and had steel willpower to do it. Depending on your age, the time it takes to lose the last bits of fat will vary. Most of us bb's keep a daily food journal. Be careful not to over-train, this can be extremely counterproductive to your goals.

Thanks for the excellent advice, Blackfrost.

I've been dieting for a week now, just to trim an inch or two (nothing crucial), and I've taken your words to heart. It's funny... I feel really good about my eating habits now. My body has made the adjustment after a tough first day of sugar/carb withdrawal, but now I'm on the right path.

Blackfrost
Thanks for the excellent advice, Blackfrost.

I've been dieting for a week now, just to trim an inch or two (nothing crucial), and I've taken your words to heart. It's funny... I feel really good about my eating habits now. My body has made the adjustment after a tough first day of sugar/carb withdrawal, but now I'm on the right path.

Thanks yo :)

I may not have too many good answers for all the other problems that are on this board, but bodybuilding and diets / suppliments/ nutrition are definitely one area of my life where I've invested a serious amount of my time and effort in the past few years and found that what you put into it, is definitely what you get out of it. Wish everything worked that way lol

Cheers

P.S. be strong - you will defeat the sugar cravings!! I always carry a little container of sugar free mints with me everywhere, so whenever I have a major craving - 4 mints usually stops the need

Blackfrost your advice has been wonderful... I'm definitely going to follow these guidelines in hopes of a better body :p