i'm a supervisor at work

i car pool with one younger employee so we've become friendlier

now she:

* interrupts me at work chatting about non work related things

* questions my actions, asking why things are such and such a way, i politely pointed out these are new procedures etc. (applied to everyone by the way), she then went to the manager and reasked the same questions... i just felt like my day is busy enough why did i take out 5 minutes to explain when my explanation was brushed away (as she clearly felt my answer wasn't adequate enough or wanted further confirmation about my answer? :S)

* when i'm dealing with her clients she will constantly interrupt, monitor me (I need to follow up with clients-- its part of my job duty) whilst I am on the phone with the client (again NO ONE else in the office behaves this way)

* in addition I have the authority/discretion to pull some strings in order to make clients happy as long as its minor bending the rules (i.e. offering a further discount or incentive if they push me for one), yet she'll loudly say oh but we're not allowed to do that, its not official policy (this was the first time she disrespected me)

* one time my work load was too high so whilst she was in my personal office I told her plz just answer my phone -- she then proceeded to chat with a clients for ages even whilst i asked her about 4 times to pass the phone to me as i wasn't busy by that point -- she then said "oh but that client said they wanted to talk to me"

I've started giving this immature brat the silent treatment, what else can I do? The carpools are now history for the most part, apart from 2 days a week, I keep silent during this now.

Should I call her into the office, and point out her behaviours and tell her to change them (i.e. no non work related chit chat during working hours, plz don't interrupt me when i'm talking to clients?)

This whole situation confounds me, there are 30 other people doing the same job as her and I'm one of the supervisors, the other 29 people simply do as they are told without talking back, and accept my judgement. It seems like this carpool person who I'm encouraged and helped to mentor is now biting the hand that feeds her.

Some more background about her she's a very homily girl, who has been picked on a lot during high school etc. (she told me) now i find everything about her irritating, her voice with its undertone of patheticness... shes extremely moral yet our office manager said, no man would even be tempted by her... her virtues in no danger. Alright enough petty meanness on my part.

How can i neutralize the disrespectful (and hugely irritating) behaviour? I hate conflict!

elisabeth160

Your her supervisor, then do something about it. Pull her aside and tell her nicely yet strict how you want thhings done. That you understand she's just trying to do her job, but she's overstepping her boundries. That when your talking to a client, be it her client or anyone elses she is to not interupt you. And to not be rude and talk back.

I had the same problem she did. I got a little to comfortable with my boss and it started to show, till he took me aside and put me in my place. That I wasn't to talk back and to do as I'm told if I like it or not because he was the manager and that's his job and his dept..

Gotta love being a supervisor - all of the responsibility and none of the authority...you definitely need to say something if things haven't changed by now - clear the air. If you think you can keep your composure and she can keep hers, talking in the car might be the best place - she's a captive audience.

If she continues to disrespect you, let management know (and let them know that you have already talked to her about it to no avail).

i'm a supervisor at work

i car pool with one younger employee so we've become friendlier

Some more background about her she's a very homily girl, who has been picked on a lot during high school etc. (she told me) now i find everything about her irritating, her voice with its undertone of patheticness... shes extremely moral yet our office manager said, no man would even be tempted by her... her virtues in no danger. Alright enough petty meanness on my part.

How can i neutralize the disrespectful (and hugely irritating) behaviour? I hate conflict!

Though I understand that it must be frustrating dealing with someone who wants to chat about personal issues when there is work to be done, for the most part, it sounds like she is just interested in doing her job well (asking twice about something that she is unsure of, making sure she understands polices, etc.). From what you have written, it seems as though you are the unprofessional one. Here you are on here posting about how "homily" and "pathetic" sounding this girl is (by the way people who bash other people usually have self-esteem issues themselves), when, from what it sounds like, she considers you a "friend." So what if she was picked on during high school...she doesn't need this crap from her place of work as well. Or maybe you are just perturbed that this girl is a kind and moral person, and would probably never even consider talking poorly about you? Have you considered that she might actually value you as a friend, and here you (and your office manager) are talking smack about her?

It sounds like a lot of people in your office needs to grow up.

Anyway, if you have a problem with her, why not talk TO her, rather than ABOUT her?