Binge Drinker?

Forever Searching

Forever Searching

Im writing this kind of as a vent/looking for advice. See, I think I may be a binge drinker. I don't know if that falls into the same category as an alcoholic or not but I have a serious problem that I can't seem to stop. I drink a lot when I drink and most of the time it's to help me "deal" with crap in my life like stress, relationship problems etc.

The think is, alcohol has every time made my problem worse and I do really really stupid stuff when Im drunk like get really angry and lash out at people I love. I have hurt so many people when I drink and it's getting so bad that I'm afraid I"m going to start losing friends and family over it. I've never really admitted I think I have a problem until now and I"m not sure what to do. I can sit here and tell myself I won't drink again but when it comes down to it I'm so weak and I do it everytime I get upset or even when I'm just going out to have a good time, I don't know my limit and I always over do it and something bad always happens.

It hurts me cause I don't know why I"m like this. Would AA meetings help me? Anyone been through anything similar to this?

Going to AA wouldn't be a bad idea. They will help you stop drinking. I have seen it work for some people.

How often do you drink???

I know a few alcholics... They rather spend money on beer then for the children. They fight with people all the time. They can't go a day with out a drink. In which, is horrible. So, if I were you I would totally check into going to AA.

Good Luck...

• Author
Forever Searching
How often do you drink???

I only drink like once or twice a week, if that even, but when I do, I really really really drink a lot!!!

It sounds to me that you are on your way to becoming an alcoholic.

You are definitely a problem drinker and need to stop drinking ANY alcohol.

Call your local AA chapter and talk to someone there. They should be able to either help you find a meeting place or have a 12th stepper meet you and talk about your drinking.

I firmly believe that you need to listen to yourself. People that DO NOT have problems drinking never ask themselves if they do..

so since you are asking yourself if you have a problem the answer would be yes

• Author
Forever Searching

Thanks for the insight. I guess my biggest problem now is that I"m so afraid. It's scary to have a problem like this especially when you feel like your so alone in dealing with it. I'm going to have to really change my life style to quit drinking completely. It seems like it's going to be such a battle.

I know how you feel.. I've been sober almost 19 years..

The AA is a fellowship. We take care of our own and you will learn that you aren't alone.. you will have an entire network of people that are going thru the same things you are going thru.

24 hours a day they will be there for you

I think that you are on here talking about it and questioning yourself is a very good thing..It shows how strong you are and how much you want to feel better..

Hi...

I recently started going to AA, for many and varied addictions...my issue with alcohol was very very similar to yours. When I did drink, which was anywhere from 2 times a week to every day, depending on what excuses I could find. I drank to excess, and had no ability to moderate myself.

I agree it's a good thing to question yourself when you see that there may be a serious issue to consider....I think it may be a good idea to try an AA meeting, you don't have to say anything. Just sit in the back and listen...

• Like 1
  • Author
Forever Searching

Thanks again for the supportive words and suggestions!! I'm going to look into a few meetings and I made a vow to myself to stop drinking 100% no matter how hard it's going to be.

Thanks again for the supportive words and suggestions!! I'm going to look into a few meetings and I made a vow to myself to stop drinking 100% no matter how hard it's going to be.

You know how they say "one day at a time" -- well for me, it has been more like "one hour at a time" like I tell myself, I won't use just for this hour, and God willing I won't use for the rest of today...the problem with people who use anything to deal with their emotions is that they tend to not focus on the present moment. Go easy on yourself, be patient.