How to Respond to an Ex-Interest Reaching Out

Alpacalia

There was this guy that I had a mutual interest with at one point. However, at the time, I started dating someone else whom I really liked and I told him that we should stop talking. He respected my decision, and we stopped communicating. We never went out on a date because he had just ended a long-term relationship and I wanted him to have time to heal. Later, I met the second guy and things didn't work out with the person I was dating.

Recently, the first guy messaged me and said he missed me. I wasn't sure if I should reply or not since it has been a while since we last spoke. I know he has been in another relationship, but I am not sure if they are still together. I am not interested in dating him at the moment, but I also don't want to completely ignore him since we have known each other for a long time. I responded with a simple message, but he didn't reply. However, a few days later he responded asking how I was. 

I am not sure if he is still with his girlfriend and if he is I want no part of that so I kinda find it pointless to respond. Though, I don't want to be rude so I am considering just ignoring the message. What do you think? Should I reply with a brief response or just ignore the message?

A few people have suggested that I reach out to him to tell him that I am not interested in dating him, but I am not interested in starting any awkward conversations. I just want to be polite and respectful in my response.

Foxhall
On 5/16/2024 at 12:03 AM, Alpacalia said:

There was this guy that I had a mutual interest with at one point.

I suppose Id look on it if there was some sort of connection previously but timing or your lives pulled you in different directions,

well if that other direction has not panned out as intended- well why not explore the original option,

maybe he is the right one after all,  

sometimes our gut instinct can also be wrong.