What is he trying to do?

Leena96

So I was going through my messenger box and I found a guy who has waved me  in 2018.. I saw his profile…I sent him a friend request which he accepted.. I also send him a wave and text which he later reply to.. we started texting and exchanging significant long text to each other.. while we were texting he mentioned he got married and I was kind of surprised because from looking at his profile or page it doesn’t look like he is married or in a relationship.. There is no such things that can tell he is married.. I wonder why would he talk if he was married because he had an option to ignore me totally but he hasn’t in fact he further the conversation with significant great texts.. What haunts me is why would he not have anything about his wife if he was married… and I also feel that he lied to me to see how I will react to that or I don’t know because I do like this guy…any comment would be appreciated…..

NuevoYorko

I think you are going way overboard in your imagination over a guy who you don't really know.   It doesn't seem that he's in your life, just somebody on social media who "waved" at you years ago.  

Why don't you try to get out and meet some people to hang out with in the real world?   I bet it would be more fun.

• Like 1
d0nnivain

It doesn't matter.  Just walk away.  

This guy is from 6 years ago.  He said he was married.  That was your cue to exit stage left.   If he was lying to you to gage your reaction, that is your cue to leave even faster because that level of game playing is sick & shows from the outset that he'd be a lousy partner.  

• Author
Leena96
11 hours ago, NuevoYorko said:

I think you are going way overboard in your imagination over a guy who you don't really know.   It doesn't seem that he's in your life, just somebody on social media who "waved" at you years ago.  

Why don't you try to get out and meet some people to hang out with in the real world?   I bet it would be more fun.

I do know him from my college but we never really talked or we clicked.. I just never knew about the wave till now.. we exchange long appropriate texts and it’s meaningful but what I don’t understand is he mentioned he got married but there is no proof or anything that shows he is in a relationship or anything like that… I wanted to know if he is separated or their relationship is not going thoroughly and that’s why he also initiate the conversation….

stillafool

What kind of things do you need to see to know someone is married?  I'm married but don't wear my wedding rings.  When I tell someone I'm married I expect them to believe me.  He told you he was married and that is all you need to hear to back away.  When a man is interested in a woman the last thing he's going to do is lie and tell her he's married.  He knows that statement is a stop gap for any interested party.

d0nnivain

Maybe he or his wife is a private person.  Just because he doesn't have pictures of her doesn't mean he is looking to cheat.  If your texts are meaningful & appropriate his marital status doesn't matter.  When I talk to opposite sex colleagues their marital status has no bearing on the professional subject.  If I ask a Q & the answer is X, that objective answer doesn't change just because the guy is single.  If somebody said I will only answer your Q if you go out with me or sleep with me or something else unprofessional I would simply stop talking to the person. 

ExpatInItaly
4 hours ago, Leena96 said:

what I don’t understand is he mentioned he got married but there is no proof or anything that shows he is in a relationship or anything like that

I've been with my partner for nearly 10 years and he doesn't appear on my social media. 

He has a job in which keeping a low profile online is important. That's all there is to it. It means nothing about the status of our relationship. 

• Like 1
NuevoYorko

Why does it matter?  If he is married, he's married.  If he's not married - he's evidently not romantically interested in you, or he would approach you from that angle.  

• Like 2
basil67
13 hours ago, Leena96 said:

he got married but there is no proof or anything that shows he is in a relationship or anything like that

I know people who's spouses aren't on social media.  As @ExpatInItaly says, it's usually about them having a job where they need to keep a low profile...or perhaps they are simply private.

As @stillafool said, my dad lost his wedding ring on his honeymoon and he and mum just celebrated their 60th anniversary.   Someone's word that they are married should be good enough for you. 

That said, sometimes people do lie about having a partner/spouse when trying to stop someone from hitting on them.  In that case it means "I'm not interested in you romantically"

Edited by basil67
  • Like 2