Is this weird?

Dani6427

Basically I’ve been friends with someone for 7 years now, and we go between being super close to being sort-of distant. They always had a hard time balancing their friendships and relationships, but despite this I consider them a best friend. For the last few years I’ve been dissatisfied with our friendship. They formed a new friend group and got a boyfriend, but I feel like our friendship revolves around that more often than not. When we meet up, it’s either me being invited to hang out with their new friends or their boyfriend. The only way I can explain it is feeling left behind in my own friendship. We got into a fight a few months ago in which I took the opportunity to voice my feelings and how I didn’t feel valued as much as I used to. They responded by saying that we’re grown up now so they can’t spend as much time with me, and that their boyfriend will always come first.  I think their defensiveness was strange and I don’t see a situation where you can’t have multiple priorities in your life, but I was hoping to get some other opinions. Doyou guys think their reaction was off? I’ve always placed a lot of value in friendships that may change how I look at things.

basil67

Their reaction is how they feel, so it is valid to them.    What matters on your side is whether or not you're OK with how things are.  If you're not OK with it, you always have the option to move on to other friends

ShyViolet

Your friend was honest with you and has told you that they don't have as much time for you now, and that their bf will always come first.  You have no choice but to accept that.  Arguing with them about it is a weird thing to do and just makes you come off as clingy.  You can't argue with someone to coerce them into being closer friends with you.  That's not how this works.  If you are not happy with how this friendship is going then you are free to end it and find new friends.  Either accept this friendship how it is, or make a clean break and end it.