First Time a Leader in Almost 2 Decades

RandallHare

I just founded a tree club few weeks ago, and since it's my idea, I was elected as its president.

I have avoided leadership roles before because of my poor people skills and the fact that I feel that I'm not deserving to become a leader.

But this time around, I kind of know how people relate to others and I'm a little bit more confident now than before.

I just want this tree club to succeed in its future projects --- especially regreening our city!

Any tips and advice on how to successfully maneouvre this small club to achieve its goals? Thank you in advance...

Alpacalia

Sounds neat. I can see how it could be necessary, especially in areas with a lot of urban heat islands.

Be a good motivator and set your team members up for success. Encourage them to share their ideas and make sure everyone has a chance to contribute.

• Thanks 1
d0nnivain
1 hour ago, RandallHare said:

Any tips and advice on how to successfully maneouvre this small club to achieve its goals? Thank you in advance...

Read some leadership books. 

Write down the club's goals.  Then work with the team to create action steps to achieve the goals.  Be transparent around the money.  Keep clean books.   Let everyone speak & really listen to them to make them feel heard.  Good leaders empower their teams.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...
  • Author
RandallHare

We just had our first activity as a club as we celebrated Earth Day today! :) 

It was a huge success and we will soon be featured on *local* TV! :) 

Yay! Thanks guys for the pieces of advice! I've been really terrible with leadership roles so far so this is my first leadership role that succeeded in so many years! :)

Alpacalia

That's really great! I myself have a live presentation coming up where I was designated team leader and I am super nervous. 😬

• Like 2