Parents tell me.

RandallHare

...that my dreams are not worth achieving and that I'm just wasting my time.

...that I can't make it, that I can't achieve my dreams.

...that whatever accomplishment I've made was because of their help and support.

...that I'm lucky with my job even though there's absolutely no teamwork between my father and I because whatever he wants done should be done, bar any explanation whatsoever, even though there are new ways to solve certain problems.

I'm tired of listening to them. I'm tempted to make a career change. I'm already 36 and I think it's too late. Possibly planning on being a real estate agent. I'm tired of working for my father who always discounts whatever accomplishment I've already made even though I've only lost 2 cases so far (6 years in legal practice).

d0nnivain

At 36 your parents' opinions shouldn't control your decision making.  In fact their negativity is holding you back.  If you are already a lawyer in most cases you already qualify as a real estate broker. Check out the specific rules where you are.   Ease into it; sell real estate part time & build up the real estate practice in your father's firm.  If you are making him money he will shut up about not wanting you to change.  

• Like 1
Wiseman2

As long as it's a family business and your father is the boss, all you can do is cooperate until you can afford your own practice. 

• Like 1
ShyViolet

Stop working for your father if he's toxic to you and you are unhappy doing this.  36 is not too late for a career change, but now is the time.  If you stay in the situation, it will only get harder and harder to get out.  I went back to school for my master's degree in my mid 30s.  MANY people change careers in their 30s, it's so common.  In your 40s and older it's harder.

Acacia98

Thirty-six is not too late. I've changed career direction a couple of times, most recently in my 30s, and I might need to make some changes again soon. I see it as part of my evolution and growth as a human being. I think you could view your potential career change similarly.

It sounds like your father refuses to acknowledge your abilities and successes because of his own sense of inadequacy. I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out he was envious of you. At the end of the day, he is just human. He has weaknesses and flaws like everyone else. He's no god. So don't allow him to limit you. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author
RandallHare

Thanks guys. The day after this thread was posted, I decided to go back to work. I realized that no matter what I do, I'm still in love with my job and everything that I do there... so what I do now is to just let my father decide on certain matters. He's still the boss and the founder of our law office so matter what I do, it's still him who should decide.

I'm doing okay now, but I'm planning to live on my own either this year or next year.

• Like 1