Cussing after church

I got pissed because my boyfriend and I just got out of church and he started cussing and talking dirty stuff. What should I do? He says is there a timeframe when to say it? He doesn't understand why it is not good. How can I explain this argument well?

Does he normally  cuss and talk dirty stuff.? What type of argument are you trying to make? That his language is generally offensive or that he should refrain from it after church?

As someone who has no religious affiliation, I'm also wondering what the timeframe is.   

But to address the topic in a more general sense, it sounds like you find your boyfriend's speaking habits offensive.  So don't make this about church - tell him how YOU feel about it.  If he tells you this is who he is (which is a perfectly acceptable answer), you then have to decide if this is a dealbreaker for you.

• Like 1
Alpacalia

How bad was it? I was on a date one time and the f bomb came out. I was highly embarrassed and apologized profusely, and he was like "It's okay girl, just be yourself." That was great!

But if it's anything worse, you should definitely sit down and have a serious conversation with your boyfriend about why his behavior is not appropriate after leaving church.

mortensorchid

We all swear, every one of us in some way.  But did you think that maybe he was doing it because he wanted attention?  It's a strange place / situation to be cursing.  

d0nnivain

You can't explain this to him in a way he will understand.  He's not going to conform to your wishes.  On this point you two are incompatible.  Only you can decide if this is a deal breaker for you but he won't change.  Don't waste your time & breath trying to change him.  

Cussing is cussing, but when it involves too much emotion, that's when it really needs to be addressed. Ask him why he's feeling so bad, and what can you two do together to alleviate the need to cuss like that and maybe come up with a different coping skill. Stress, anxiety, etc all can be dealt with in more productive ways.