Moving on after Divorce

Ex-wife and I were separated on and off for almost 3 years.  Divorce was finalized in November 2023.  I met some about 1.5 years ago and we've hung out on and off since then.  Now that I'm officially divorced, we'd like to give our relationship a chance.

My question to the group is how do I tell my ex that I'm dating someone after only being divorced 2 months.  Note: My ex originally wanted the separation and then we mutually agreed to the divorce but now she's trying to get me back (which I'm not interested in).  

I'd like to tell her in a way where she won't hate me or be miserable.

Thank you.

38 minutes ago, jutah68 said:

how do I tell my ex that I'm dating someone after only being divorced 2 months.  

Unless you have children there's no reason to discuss your personal or dating lives. 

You do not owe any personal info to your ex. Repeat that four times.

explain it to your almost adult son. But do not give personal info to your ex.

if you need help with boundaries - consult a therapist for reassurance.

d0nnivain
9 hours ago, jutah68 said:

She's your EX.  You are not responsible for her feelings or her reaction.  

I don't think you need to make an announcement.  How you live your life is really none of her business.  Don't hide your new SO but don't flaunt it in front of the EX either.   If your son mentions it, just say yes I have been dating [name] & leave it at that

Edited by d0nnivain
  • Like 1
stillafool
10 hours ago, jutah68 said:

You can't control how she feels and it's no longer your problem.  You are divorced.  If she didn't want a separation and divorce she shouldn't have agreed to it.  It's too late now.  You're free and single and do what you like.  Do not hide your new gf from your ex because that wouldn't be fair to her and will cause problems in your new relationship.  Don't worry, your ex wife will get used to you having a new gf and will move on with her life.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1