My mom is returning my dog

sbarnes02

So my mom is deciding to take my dog back to the spca for no reason iive tried telling her to give it  back and she refuses to do so she is just 2  years old and we just got her on december the 6th 2023 and she is already trying to make me upset my mom never owned a dog in our house i tried to convice her not to its not her dog!

d0nnivain

If your mom registered the dog, & your mom pays the vet bills & your mom feeds & walks "your" dog, it's NOT your dog.  A dog is a commitment & responsibility. 

If it is your dog & you are over 18, move out of mom's house with your dog & the problem will be solved. 

Otherwise mom's house, mom's rules.  

• Like 1

Second hand dogs are usually second hand for a reason.  Does your dog have behaviour issues?  If so, have you hired a trainer to help you rehab it?

Do you walk and feed the dog yourself?  Do you clean up it's poop?

I doubt your mother would take the dog back to the SPCA for no reason. You should be paying for the dog's food, feeding it, walking it, bathing it, playing with it, and training it. You should also be cleaning up it's crap - every day. Animals are dependent on their owners to care for them, not the owner's mother.  

• Like 1
  • Author
sbarnes02
14 hours ago, d0nnivain said:

If your mom registered the dog, & your mom pays the vet bills & your mom feeds & walks "your" dog, it's NOT your dog.  A dog is a commitment & responsibility. 

If it is your dog & you are over 18, move out of mom's house with your dog & the problem will be solved. 

Otherwise mom's house, mom's rules.  

So i bought the dog and i pay for the bills and what not she babysits my dog i dont think i can trust her

• Author
sbarnes02
14 hours ago, MsJayne said:

I doubt your mother would take the dog back to the SPCA for no reason. You should be paying for the dog's food, feeding it, walking it, bathing it, playing with it, and training it. You should also be cleaning up it's crap - every day. Animals are dependent on their owners to care for them, not the owner's mother.  

I do though she babysits my dog and when i went to go get  her she said she is trying to take it back to the spca but i bought it i pay its bills and i pick ups its crap 

NuevoYorko

Since you don't live with your mother and she is just "babysitting" your dog, the solution seems fairly simple.  Get another dogsitter, or doggy daycare.

• Like 3
d0nnivain
1 hour ago, sbarnes02 said:

So i bought the dog and i pay for the bills and what not she babysits my dog i dont think i can trust her

You can't trust her with the dog.  Don't let her dog sit any more.   She does not want the hassle. 

Edited by d0nnivain
19 hours ago, sbarnes02 said:

just 2  years old and we just got her on december the 6th 2023 and she is already trying to make me upset my mom never owned a dog in our house

This makes me think you reside at your mother's. Do you?

Also- what kind of dog is it?

ShyViolet

Stop depending on your mother, stop living with her, stop letting her dog-sit your dog, and then she won't have any control over you.

• Like 2
  • Author
sbarnes02
On 2/7/2024 at 1:56 PM, ShyViolet said:

Stop depending on your mother, stop living with her, stop letting her dog-sit your dog, and then she won't have any control over you.

First off i dont depend on my mom because i dont have to i only depend on my other family members because i dont have a dad thank u very much and she wants to baby sit the dog

stillafool
23 minutes ago, sbarnes02 said:

i only depend on my other family members because i dont have a dad

I'm sorry but are you a minor?

21 minutes ago, sbarnes02 said:

(my mother) wants to baby sit the dog

If your mother is happy to care for your dog, why is she going to surrender it?   Is she concerned about your ability to care for it?

She must have given you a reason

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, sbarnes02 said:

First off i dont depend on my mom

But do you reside in her home?

If so, this probably isn't "babysitting." I have a babysitter for my dog. I met her online when I was looking for a dogsitter and she had placed an ad. I pay her $50 for an overnight or $30 for daycare. And then I drop my dog off at her house and come back later to get the dog. This is a "babysitter" arrangement.

If you live with your mom, then what's going on is probably closer to "leaving your dog at home while you have to go to work and your mom is there too." Dog ownership is a much bigger responsibility than most people know and that's why dogs get surrendered so often. Dogs require planning and money.

• Like 2
stillafool
On 2/6/2024 at 6:02 PM, sbarnes02 said:

So my mom is deciding to take my dog back to the spca for no reason iive tried telling her to give it  back and she refuses to do so she is just 2  years old and we just got her on december the 6th 2023 and she is already trying to make me upset my mom never owned a dog in our house i tried to convice her not to its not her dog!

Well since you nor the dog live with your mom she cannot just take your dog and turn it in to spca.  If she did you could always go to the police.

d0nnivain
1 hour ago, sbarnes02 said:

she wants to baby sit the dog

If she's threating to take your dog back to the pound, she doesn't want to baby sit the dog.  Never force something like that.  Given her actions I wouldn't leave the dog alone with her.  Make other arrangements for the dog's safety & your sanity.  

ShyViolet
7 hours ago, sbarnes02 said:

First off i dont depend on my mom because i dont have to i only depend on my other family members because i dont have a dad thank u very much and she wants to baby sit the dog

You're contradicting yourself and not making any sense.  She "wants to babysit the dog" but at the same time you can't trust her not to get rid of your dog behind your back?  If you can't trust her with the dog then don't leave the dog with her.  I don't know what the confusion is.

• Like 2