Am I expecting too much

My mum is away on vacation this week, and her dog is sick. She asked my brother and I if we would come home to look after him as she doesn't want to take him to the dog-minder. My brother is going to be home Monday to Wednesday, and I will sub in Wednesday to Friday. 

I contacted my brother yesterday to make arrangements for wednesday, he said he'll be leaving at 4pm and I will get back around 6pm. I asked him if there was any food in the house and he said there isn't a lot. I asked if he was going to the market to get a few extra bits so that I at least had something to eat at home when I got there. 

He told me he 'hadn't really thought about it' and that he was seeing a friend on Tuesday night (and therefore didn't need to get stuff for dinner) but he thought me might go and get some food at some stage. 

I feel like he could have taken a more forthcoming and helpful attitude  - 'no worries I'll make sure there's some stuff for you to eat when you get back', rather than the more selfish 'I may or may not go to the supermarket and if I do it will be on my own terms'

Bear in mind he's been home all week and is living off the food that my mum had left in the fridge - he hasn't gone out to cater for himself.

d0nnivain

Some people are simply not giving caretakers.  Your brother is one of them.  Give him a list; offer him a few bucks & tell him to go to the store.  Otherwise, use a delivery service yourself & have the stuff arrive at 7 after you get there.  Pick up take out on your way over.  

Alpacalia

Bleh. It's frustrating when someone is being vague and unhelpful, especially when it's your own brother who could certainly be more considerate and helpful after being a hungry heffer and eating all your mom's food.

But alas, we cannot control others and how they choose to behave. All you can do is express your feelings. Ask him to be more considerate and proactive in the future.

For now just go to the supermarket yourself and get some food for when you get back. Make sure to hide it so that he won't eat it all haha. 

• Like 1