Changing careers at 36.

sharkbite0

Hi all, 

I appreciate any helpful suggestions or sharing some perspectives on my situation. 

I am currently 36 male and work as a social worker in New York (LMSW).  I struggled with some substances earlier in life, recovered, and found my way into social work 5/6 years ago. Now, i shake my head wondering why I chose this path. I guess I wanted to be a good person and help people, the opposite of the days when I was addicted. I hate to say I regret getting my degree in social work, but I don't even make 60 k.  I went back to school online and will be graduating in a few months with a bachelor's degree in cyber security.  The problem is, the tech field is saturated, business are laying off employees that have been there for 10 years. It is a disaster and I feel like I made another poor decision.  I'm sober, trying to stay motivated.  I feel insecure about the field I chose and the amount of money I make, and looking older than I actually am. I'm 36 and girls constantly think I'm lying about my age. In all honesty, I'm not bad at what I do, I care about my clients, the organization I work for is alright, I'm thankful to have health insurance and I appreciate having a job.  Having said that, what else can I do?

I've been looking for other positions in different fields, applying to sales positions as my communication skills are strong as well as my ability to cultivate and maintain relationships.  I work hard,  I'm very punctual, multiple degrees, not a bad work history since 18 years old on  my resume. I'm willing to relocate and I would be excited to travel overseas. I have no relationships, no kids, I see these as reasons why I am so flexible in my career and living situation.  

Please let me know what thoughts you may have, words of encouragement, suggestions on career paths or places to look for new positions. I looked into getting a career coach but they are asking for 150 dollars a session. Right now i just don't feel like that's a smart move as I would probably need 1 session a week (600 a month).

Thanks in advance for any support you may be able to offer and best wishes for the New Year to you all!

Sharkbite

RandallHare

I have a friend, just a year older than us (we have the same age). He's doing really well in real estate (he sells real properties). He also sells insurance policies, etc. He's earning a lot from these things.

I think your skillsets and who you are as a person are a good fit in sales. 

• Like 1
  • Author
sharkbite0

Thank you RandallHare, I wonder what the best way to break into a sales position would be. I guess some research is needed.

I appreciate your response and insights!

Thank you

• Like 1
13 hours ago, sharkbite0 said:

I have no relationships,

Maybe this is more the problem than the career choice- a sense of loneliness is making you feel insecure about everything,

the social work could be a rewarding career in the sense you are giving back to society,

will more money truly  make you happy either,

I would work more on the relationship angle.

• Like 2
  • Author
sharkbite0

You have a point Foxhall,

My last relationship ended 2 years ago. I've been going on dates and I had a situationship for a while.  I am currently on bumble and looking for my person. Admittedly,  I have a tendency to put all my eggs in one basket and now I'm trying to be a bit more balanced in my approach to life.  When I come across someone who interests me, I put in the effort. I am trying to workout more, read more, write more, practice instruments. I study for  certifications in the tech field.  I hear what you are saying about a relationship but I also know I would struggle to provide how I want to provide and live the life  I dream of with such a low income.  I feel ambitious and motivated, I think of it not only as more money but a place to grow, right now I feel stuck. I provide therapy but It's hard to see the next promotion, a clinical supervisor? I don't really see myself in a clinical supervisor role which is unfortunate. I would love to find my person and someone who accepts the income I make. Unfortunately, the ones I have met seem to think because mommy and daddy are able to provide them with everything they want that I will be able to also.... wish I could.....but not on this salary.

Cheers (with water) to staying positive and doing what we can

• Like 1
RandallHare
18 hours ago, sharkbite0 said:

Thank you RandallHare, I wonder what the best way to break into a sales position would be. I guess some research is needed.

I appreciate your response and insights!

Thank you

The only advice I could give is generic one --- connections. As for the rest, since I'm not in the sales industry, I couldn't provide anymore. Maybe you can google or try looking for books that could help you "launch" your new career. :)

Good luck!

d0nnivain

I know social work is emotionally challenging & time consuming but before you jump into sales F/T why not take a P/T gig selling something to make sure you have the chops for it?  Yes, you can make a ton of money in sales but only if you close the deal.  If you work on straight commission which is most sales gigs, you don't sell, you don't eat.  It's a hard way to make a living.  

There are tons of books out there about how to sell.  Pick up something by Zig Zeigler.  Read Think & Grow Rich.  

• Like 1
Alpacalia

I did a career change later in life. I worked as a Project Manager for several years and decided I wanted to do something a bit more meaningful, specifically in the healthcare field. I received my Associates in Natural Science and working towards a bachelor in Healthcare Administration while I wait to see if I get into Radiology Technology program.

I think I come from a different perspective because I did choose my first career based on what paid well and great potential to work from home. 

My career change, was made solely out of a desire to work in a field I'm passionate about. My suggestion would be for you to focus on what truly interests you and what you can see yourself doing for many years to come. Don't be afraid to start at the bottom and work your way up. Also, don't let your age limit you. Granted, if you were in your 80s and looking to become a medical doctor, yes, your age will limit you.

But you’re in your late 30s. so that shouldn't be the deciding factor. I would research different fields that combine your interests and skills and start networking with people in those fields. Have you considered looking into positions at non-profits or NGOs? With your social work background and experience in cultivating relationships, you may have a competitive edge in the non-profit sector. Combined with cyber security skills, you may be able to find a role that combines both, such as a security analyst for a non-profit. Non-profit organizations often have openings for various roles, so it may be worth exploring this option.

Edited by Alpacalia
  • Like 1
22 hours ago, sharkbite0 said:

Unfortunately, the ones I have met seem to think because mommy and daddy are able to provide them with everything they want that I will be able to also.... wish I could.....but not on this salary.

Sounds like you're going for the wrong women. If mum and dad are still providing for them, how old are they? Your salary works out at the lower end of the average income in Australia, and if the cost of living in the US is similar to here you would be struggling to ever own a property on a sole income in such a savage climate, so I hear why you're concerned and feel it impacts your chances of a long-term relationship, but...not all women choose a partner based on what they can give us, some of us believe it's our responsibility to contribute fairly because that makes for equality in a relationship.You should be proud of yourself for working in the social support sector, the world desperately needs people who care about others. You've got a lot of skills, a solid background, and you're free to uproot yourself and go wherever you please for work, so there's only you stopping you from getting online and searching worldwide for your next role. Shoot for the moon :)

I don’t really understand why you don’t see a future in your current field. What is wrong with clinical supervisor? I’m genuinely asking as I know nothing about social work. Why have you shut this door on yourself so early after just graduating so recently? Are you sure you fully explored all avenues? 

I think once you start regarding yourself as a professional and establish yourself in your chosen field the less Bs you are going to put up with in a partner. Not everyone behaves that way but it’s more likely than not your tolerance for a self entitled or bratty partner will diminish.